A finance or accounting professional with management experience in a budget, finance, accounting and/or administration capacity, you welcome this opportunity to join the City of Toronto and play a key role in promoting best practices, effective internal controls and continuous improvement across the Solid Waste Management Services Division.
As Manager, Finance & Revenue – Solid Waste Management Services, you will lead by example in developing and implementing innovative Solid Waste Management utility billing practices, making recommendations for improvement, and developing effective control mechanisms to ensure Division-wide and City-wide staff compliance. This is a comprehensive mandate, calling on you to manage a sizable budget, provide guidance to support sound utility program decisions and practices, respond strategically to emerging legislative, regulatory and policy changes and assess their impact on divisional processes and practices, as well as advise senior management on quality assurance issues and improvement strategies. Ultimately, you will be accountable for ensuring that the Division has in place the information and business systems and processes needed to monitor and maintain service standards, performance, fiscal accountability, and sustainable revenue.
Your primary responsibilities as Finance & Revenue Manager will be varied, but you’ll be expected to:
- Develop and implement detailed plans and recommend policies regarding program-specific requirements.
- Manage, motivate and train Unit staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, and continuous learning and encouraging innovation in others.
- Supervise the day-to-day operation of all assigned staff, including scheduling, assigning and reviewing work, authorizing and controlling vacation and overtime requests, monitoring and evaluating staff performance, approving salary increments and recommending disciplinary action when necessary.
- Develop, recommend and administer the annual budget for the Unit, and ensure that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Develop and recommend the annual Operating and Capital budget for the Solid Waste Management Services Division, including setting user fee & rate increases.
- Develop and implement effective and innovative Solid Waste Management (SWM) utility billing procedures, making recommendations for improvement on existing measures regarding same, and developing effective control mechanisms to ensure compliance by all City staff.
- Respond strategically to emerging business-specific legislative, regulatory and policy changes, assessing the impacts on SWM processes/practices, and developing, recommending and implementing meaningful and appropriate solutions.
- Ensure proper internal controls, quality assurance system standards and policies are maintained and that audit requirements are met.
- Provide input and monitor Service Level Agreements (SLAs) with clients to ensure client and Division expectations are mutually understood and managed.
- Manage the analysis of statistical, economic, operational and analytical activities to provide guidance to the Division to support sound utility program decisions and practices.
- Prepare reports for Committee and Council approval, as required, and represent the Division at Committee meetings and working groups.
- Provide high-quality customer service through improvement strategies, including communications, training, public education, technological improvements, best practices, quality control and assurance programs.
- Utilize various data information systems to monitor service standards, performance measures and fiscal accountability.
- Initiate, analyze and utilize service status data to provide strategic advice to the divisional senior management team on quality assurance issues and strategies for improving the quality of a broad range of programs and services for the SWM utility billing program.
- Manage data and billing accuracy to maintain sustainable revenue.
- Ensure the development and implementation of service standards, policies and procedures for the SWM utility billing program and services that protect the City from potential liability.
- Organize, lead and co-ordinate a range of inter-divisional and cross-divisional workgroups.
- Ensure the maintenance of staff/office compliance with all corporate and provincial legislation, such as the Ontario Human Rights Code, Workplace Harassment, Confidentiality, Occupational Health and Safety Act and Professional Standards of Practice.
- Utilize research on best practices and service status data, and write and present reports, including recommendations for innovations in service delivery through the directors to the divisional senior management team.
- Work in collaboration with Corporate Finance, Finance & Administration, Revenue Services, 3-1-1 and Information Technology on the development of new/enhancements of information systems.
- Manage projects using project management techniques.
- Assume responsibility for the independent practice of professionals, specialists and clerical staff in multiple off-site settings within a matrix management structure, with complex communication channels and decision-making procedures.
- Respond to inquiries from City Council, Works Committee, media and the public, and make recommendations to resolve rate-related issues and/or the dissemination of information.
- Respond to escalated billing inquiries and participate in legal challenges related to the Solid Waste Rate structure.
- Develop SWM rate programs such as Multi-residential, City Divisions, Agencies and other customer bases.
- Review Canadian Federal and Provincial legislation in connection with laws, regulations and notification protocols impacting the delivery of solid waste management programs and services.
- Represent the City at media inquiries regarding solid waste rates and budget issues.
Your application for the role of Manager, Finance & Revenue – Solid Waste Management Services must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the job function, combined with management experience in a budget, finance, accounting and administration capacity, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive financial planning, financial reporting, accounting and administrative experience in a public or private sector organization with a multimillion-dollar expenditure budget and multiple services.
- Supervisory experience in a unionized environment, and the ability to motivate, lead, train and manage staff in a fast-paced customer service environment.
- Experience in expenditure analysis, forecasting and the preparation of financial statements, including corporate budget submissions and report writing, such as Committee, Divisional and Council reports.
- Experience in making presentations to Committees or other related groups.
- Ability to effectively deal with matters related to labour relations, administration, complement management, project management, financial management, facilities management and inventory management.
- Ability in initiating, leading and implementing proactive and progressive change in order to redesign and implement business processes, policies and procedures, and to facilitate operational improvements.
- Knowledge and skills in computer-based accounting systems, techniques and practices as well as familiarity with technology issues, systems, equipment and applications.
- Effective decision-making and leadership skills, including innovation, results orientation, fiscal accountability, and the ability to promote and foster teamwork and excellence.
- Highly developed human relations, analytical and conflict resolution skills, with the ability to communicate both orally and in writing at all levels of the organization, including the political level.
- Thorough knowledge of customer service issues and policies.
- Thorough knowledge of divisional account code structure, as well as knowledge of public sector accounting guidelines.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and work collaboratively in resolving problems and issues with employees, unions, senior management staff, client divisions, politicians, outside agencies, other levels of government and external parties.
- Ability to represent the City of Toronto in a variety of situations, including negotiations with outside agencies, private sector companies and other levels of government.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, Collective Agreements and related employment legislation.
- Certified Accounting or other relevant professional designation, an asset.
Salary Range: $108,222.40 - $127,171.20 per year (2017 rates)
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as Manager, Finance and Revenue within our Solid Waste Management Services Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2296659X, by February 21, 2018.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy. You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City's hiring process, i.e., application, assessment and placement. If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2296659 and the job classification title.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.