Posted On: 2018-02-01
Closing On: 2018-02-16
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: March 2018
Employment Type: Full-Time
Organization: Sunnybrook Foundation
Title: Communications Officer
Reports to: Manager, Donor Communications
Location: Sunnybrook Foundation: 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5
Is this you?
You would humbly describe yourself as an exceptional writer, someone who can translate complex health-care terminology into simple actionable content in a myriad of formats. You understand that ultimately you are an extension of the fundraising team and your role is to provide your colleagues with timely content that results in financial support and donor engagement.
Do you possess a high emotional intelligence? Are you team oriented and a consummate professional? Are you resilient, creative and not afraid of a challenge? Would you be excited about the opportunity to write content for a premier academic health sciences centre, fully affiliated with the University of Toronto, with a vision to invent the future of health care?
Would your peers describe you as adept at execution and creative with language and layout? Are you comfortable working with InDesign?
At Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, one of Canada's largest and most dynamic hospitals, 10,000 staff, physicians and volunteers provide the best care when it matters most in the lives of the over one million patients they see each year.
If the above sounds like you and you’re excited, please read on…
Sunnybrook Foundation exists to raise awareness and the funds required to enable the Hospital to care for patients and their families when it matters most. In partnership with the University of Toronto, Sunnybrook leads by discovery, innovation, teaching and learning.
Sunnybrook’s five strategic areas of focus are:
- Heart and Vascular
- High risk maternal and newborn
- Image-guided brain therapies
The Communications Officer will play a key role in the fundraising effort at Sunnybrook Foundation. You will join a team of skilled writers who craft language
to spark connections and build relationships between Sunnybrook and those with a desire to give.
Adept at writing a range of communications materials, the successful candidate is a passionate storyteller who is as comfortable writing custom proposals, stewardship reports and speaking notes as they are brand marketing materials.
Alongside a team of two other Communications Officers, you will be assigned a portfolio of hospital programs and are expected to become a content expert in your program area by building relationships with medical staff; staying informed on priorities; and keeping the Foundation’s key messaging and overview documents current. This role will focus on: Heart, Burn, Rehab, Dermatology, Palliative Care, Geriatrics & Veterans.
Our successful candidate will simplify complex medical concepts into easily understood descriptions that show impact and encourage donor engagement.
You’ll ideally have experience working with InDesign and are comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
Experience writing and editing proposals, grant submissions and related advancement materials will be considered an asset.
The Ideal Candidate
This role is ideal for a skilled writer who possesses strong problem-solving skills, analytical ability, political navigation instincts and deep professionalism. Hospital foundation experience is an asset but passion for health care alongside intellectual curiosity is a must.
Our successful candidate will be an emotionally mature, self-motivated professional with presence, exceptional writing ability and a strong work ethic. S/he understands the importance of strong relationship building and brings a positive energy with a ‘can do attitude’ alongside strong interviewing and research skills.
The successful candidate will possess/be:
- Understand the Sunnybrook brand, acquire and maintain sound knowledge and understanding of the organization and all priority projects and programs within assigned hospital portfolio
- Strong interviewing and research skills – able to extract meaningful and relevant information
- Write and/or edit presentations, meeting materials and event collateral materials including program copy and speaking notes within assigned portfolio
- Effective time manager with the proven ability to manage multiple projects over varying timelines, demonstrating excellence in prioritization and problem-solving and delivering on commitments
- Ability to maintain a positive, flexible and responsive attitude, professional image and team-oriented style, collaborative in nature – open to receiving feedback and edits from various stakeholders and has the resiliency to except that feedback
- Deep command of grammar and spelling, exceptional communicator
- Intellectual curiosity – possess an innate desire to learn and teach
- Persuasive and creative – able to visualize the coming together of images, graphics and printed work to craft a compelling story
- Work comfortably in a highly collaborative environment; manage competing interests and strong personalities
- Write and/or edit stories for Foundation publications, including the annual Report to Donors and Sunnybrook magazine
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism or related major
- Minimum five years of professional writing experience that includes assignments in the health-care sector; advancement writing, or non-profit experience is an asset
- Proficient in writing a range of communications with emphasis on proposals, technical reports, briefing documents, presentations and speaking notes
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Has experience working with InDesign (or comparable)
- Proficient in MS Office including Word, PowerPoint
If you are someone who is looking for an outstanding challenge, working with one of the most known and highly respected hospital foundations in Canada, then what are you waiting for?
Note: Please include a cover letter addressed to Lindsay Preston (firstname.lastname@example.org) along with an updated resume including your salary expectations with your application. Please provide two or more samples that show the range of your work along with your application.