Posted On: 2018-02-05
Closing On: 2018-02-28
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: April 2018
Employment Type: Full-Time
Organization: Kids Help Phone (KHP)
Title: Vice President, Brand Strategy & Communications
Team: 2, with growth potential [Director, Digital; Director Communications (vacant)]
Reports to: President & CEO
Location: Toronto – University Avenue
Is this you?
Are you ready to capitalize on an opportunity to join one of Canada’s most respected charities? Are you a proven and experienced brand strategist with deep communications experience on the national level? Can you see yourself being a passionate and vital member of a national movement to mobilize the country behind youth and young adults?
Are you genuine and articulate, well connected and respected, an engaging presenter, hard worker and resilient? Do you take pride in challenging yourself and your team to set stretch goals and work to exceed them? You are known to be a great leader of talent with high emotional intelligence. Your employees thrive under your leadership and mentorship and you take pride in their development. Your peers and colleagues would describe you as analytical and a strategic visionary, with a great sense of humor and a can-do attitude.
Can you see yourself waking up every morning motivated and ready to help catapult one of the countries most beloved charities to the next level?
If this sounds like you, please read on….
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an innovative thinker who wants to lead a comprehensive communications portfolio. It is a re-envisioned role, with bold and ambitious goals to fuel transformation and the achievement of a new strategic plan. With a new Board Chair, and a new President & CEO, it is an exciting time in the organization's history. KHP is poised to make an even greater impact on the lives of young people in Canada, and this position will play a critical role in their success.
Kids Help Phone is a Canadian and world leader, known for our expertise and continuous innovation as Canada’s only 24/7 professional counselling and information service for young people in both English and French. Since 1989, we have offered kids, teens and young adults a critical lifeline of hope and support through our free, anonymous service, which research shows significantly improves youth mental health. Young people reach out to Kids Help Phone’s counsellors from every corner of the country via phone and Live Chat and also benefit from our database of local youth-serving programs. Kids Help Phone’s website is a widely recognized model of youth-focused design, offers therapeutic tools, games, information, and counselling. As an organization that speaks with young people every day, we work to share their perspectives and improve their well-being on a societal level. Kids Help Phone raises the majority of our revenue from individuals, foundations, corporations, and community fundraising; thanks to our generous donors, we can work to achieve our vision of a future where every young person in Canada will access the support they need in the way they need it most.
Accredited member, Imagine Canada Standards Program.
The Vice President, Brand Strategy & Communications will be a key member of the senior leadership (CEO, VPs) and the executive (VPs, AVP) teams. Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President, Brand Strategy & Communications will have direct board exposure and will lead the Brand Advisory Council.
They will be an innovative thinker who will be responsible for leading a comprehensive Communications portfolio and an expert team in areas as diverse as brand strategy and communications, digital integration, youth engagement and media relations. As a proven strategist who quickly grasps the big picture, the successful candidate will have a strong background in corporate communications and issues management.
The Vice President, Brand Strategy & Communications will actively participate in the development and launch of a comprehensive pan-Canada campaign.
As the organization continues to evolve, this individual will play a direct hand in developing and implementing an internal communications strategy and will act as the conduit between the senior leadership team and the national team at large.
A leader who works well under pressure, the VP Brand Strategy & Communications will be an extremely strong collaborator and relationship builder able to motivate and coach others to perform at their highest potential. Our successful candidate will partner with fundraising and, alongside their team, be a key enabler to driving revenue on behalf of the organization.
- Increase Kids Help Phone brand awareness through brand marketing and communications and promote its differentiation as charity of choice while diligently protecting its reputation
- Build an agency model culture while growing a dynamic industry leading team who are deeply committed to the values and the mission of the organization
- Key enabler in driving revenue
- Consistently position Kids Help Phone as a thought leader on issues that affect Canadian children & youth
- Mobilize public engagement, awareness and financial contributions around a key platform
- Lead organization wide strategic communications efforts through consultation and integration
- Oversee government, policy and advocacy strategy
- Oversee domestic youth engagement programs and partnerships
- Build strong internal relationships with cross-functional groups, including information technology, fundraising and operations teams
- Fiscally responsible - management of budget, assuming clear definition of overall key success metrics
- Leverage the right partners in the digital world to develop best in class programs and solutions
- Own and lead agency/supplier relationships
- Astutely monitor and predict competitive moves within the industry
People Leadership and Managerial Responsibilities
This Vice President, Brand Strategy & Communications role has people leadership as a core competency. The VP, Brand Strategy & Communications will be accountable directly for a team of 2 directors (who each have support teams beneath) and will also be accountable for cross-departmental reporting, where applicable (example, Advancement Communications, Campaign Writer). An expectation of the successful candidate will be to play a direct role in designing their team structure and will be asked to provide thought leadership surrounding organizational design.
Ideal Candidate’s Profile
The ideal candidate will be/possess:
- A values based-individual who truly believes in the mission and values of the organization
- Minimum of eight years of successfully leading teams
- An industry leader with over 10 years of business experience in brand strategy & communications with a track record of successfully launching (or re-launching) a brand and engaging broad communities
- A proven track record in organizational change
- Undergraduate or Master’s degree in related field
- Dynamic, energetic, goal driven individual with a positive attitude who enjoys working within a team environment
- Strong results-orientation as demonstrated in past positions, setting ambitious goals and proven ability to deliver against them
- Confident in ability to challenge status quo and manage the risk threshold
- Inspiring leader for numerous groups including the marketing team, strategic communications, information management, fundraising and operations at Kids Help Phone and its' external partners
- Passion for the KHP cause, desire to make a difference in the lives of youth and young adults
- Flexible approach, able to deal with ambiguity
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills
- A strong work ethic coupled with tact and diplomacy
- Preference will be given to candidates who are fluently bilingual (French)
If you are qualified and interested don’t delay. Apply via email to Lindsay Preston (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include your Cover Letter and CV. Please note only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.