Organization: Canadian Red Cross
Title: Vice President, Philanthropy
Team Size: ~90 across Canada
Location: 21 Randolph Avenue, Toronto ON
Is this you?
Do you want to join forces with a group of 170 people that are passionate about improving the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity in Canada and around the world?
Are you a seasoned relationship builder who has a proven track record in stewarding key relationships that increase revenue on behalf of the organization? Are you a respected team leader, with experience mentoring, growing and managing a high performing business development team? Are you comfortable operating within a complex organizational structure and working cross-functionally with peers across Canada?
Are you a “great leader of talent with high emotional intelligence, analytical and strategic” is how others would describe you? Are you a high integrity, strategic, transparent, inspiring, proven relationship builder with exceptional communication skills both written and verbal? And, you want to be part of a high performance, results driven team, working with colleagues who are both collegial and have high expectations while sharing your passion for the cause.
If this sounds like you then please read on …
Canadian Red Cross restructured in 2017 and as part of this initiative Ronan Ryan, the Chief Marketing & Development Officer took on increased responsibility and now oversees: philanthropy, marketing, commercial operations and program operations with an annual revenue target of over $200M.
The Vice President Philanthropy is a newly created position that will report directly to Ronan and will oversee all fundraising Nationwide with a target of approximately $80M per year. Revenue streams that will report into this position include: major gifts, corporate, foundations, community engagement and planned giving. Direct Marketing will continue to report directly to Ronan as will data and analytics, digital and other marketing functions.
The mission of the Canadian Red Cross is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity in Canada and around the world.
The Canadian Red Cross Society is part of the largest humanitarian network in the world: the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. This network includes the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (Federation) and 190 National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies dedicated to improving the situation of the most vulnerable throughout the world.
The Canadian Red Cross is the leading humanitarian organization through which people voluntarily demonstrate their caring for others in need. Their actions and decisions are based upon:
- Humanitarian values, as expressed in their Fundamental Principles
- Respect, dignity and inclusiveness
- Integrity, accountability, effectiveness, transparency, and adaptability
- Quality and safety
In 1965, the seven Fundamental Principles were adopted by the 20th International Conference. They were developed to link together the International Committee, Federation and National Societies. The Red Cross’ network is vast, but their approach is simple. All Red Cross programs and activities are guided by the Fundamental Principles of Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. These principles allow them to provide help immediately to whoever needs it, wherever they are, whatever their race, political beliefs, religion, social status, or culture.
The Vice President Philanthropy will be an innovative and strategic leader capable of inspiring, developing and unleashing the full potential of their team to grow diverse revenue streams, rally supporters for the cause and increase overall donor engagement so that revenues are sustainable This role is accountable for relationship fundraising efforts across the country and is part of the transformational giving strategy that has been adopted by The Canadian Red Cross. We are looking for a trusted and respected colleague for the Chief Marketing and Development Officer, who will be his right hand when it comes to all matters related to Canadian Red Cross philanthropy. The successful candidate will be the senior executive responsible and accountable for envisioning and leading strategic planning and innovative opportunities to build, influence and nurture key relationships in support of all fund development activities which include philanthropic commitments from a portfolio of individual, family foundation, corporate, community events and planned giving donors.
- Oversee a National philanthropy team to ensure revenue targets are met by providing guidance, coaching and oversight in the area of donor/prospect strategy and gift solicitation
- Supports the development and management of a high-performance team of Philanthropy staff, including the recruitment, professional development and retention
- Establishes goals, objectives, and metrics for the purpose of evaluating individual performance
- Develops, implements and evaluates National Philanthropy business plan, including the development of annual business plans
- Monitors progress of revenue targets and makes adjustments as needed to ensure success
- Monitors expense budgets and maintains close control of expenditures throughout the year
- Contributes to the effectiveness of fundraising activity including regular monthly and quarterly reporting of key activity and financial indicators
- Supports senior leadership, executives and volunteers in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major donors
- Works collaboratively with senior leadership team to identify and determine leadership potential of prospective volunteers
- Utilizes Raiser’s Edge to capture moves management information
- Supports international and domestic disaster appeals; Manages communications with team and assigned donors during times of disasters to share information and gain support
The Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate will be a seasoned and sophisticated revenue development professional with a track record of successful stewardship and relationship management. Importantly, the successful candidate will be a proven analytical thinker with exceptional project management skills. S/he will be comfortable in a mission-oriented setting where teamwork and relationship building for raising money is a primary deliverable and an accountability that is fully embraced.
- Applies sound judgment to business issues and approaches them strategically
- Adaptable: able to quickly integrate complex information and different points of view in problem solving exercises
- Well-honed influencing skills; adept at driving organizational change through partnership, collaboration and leadership rather than title or line authority
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills and executive presence; highly credible with senior executives, and is able to connect and build trust-based relationships with stakeholders at all levels of an organization and inspire those around them
- Exhibits a competitive drive and does not see mediocrity as an option
- Able to set and meet aggressive goals and action plans, both as an individual and with a team
- Has a proven track record of collaboration/engagement and partnership across all functional teams and with external partners
- Adheres to the highest standards of personal and professional integrity and sets a positive example for others
- Models and promotes The Canadian Red Cross vision and values
- Commitment to continuous learning and improvement
- Exhibits a mindset of creativity, innovation and a passion for new opportunities. Is not afraid to challenge the status quo and create interest and build consensus for new opportunities and approaches
- Demonstrates resilience and appropriate flexibility in all situations. Works well under stress and pressure. Consistently seeks out new knowledge,learning and approaches e.g. collaboration networks. Learns from both successes and failures
- Experience leading technical innovation priorities from a fundraising & donor/customer centric perspective
- Resilient: bounces back fast from disappointments
S/he will be/have:
- Demonstrated commitment to Canadian Red Cross mission, vision and values
- 10 -15 years’ experience leading revenue development, marketing, stakeholder engagement, stewardship & donor/customer engagement; for profit or not for profit experience welcomed
- A track record of success that includes both the achievement of revenue goals and growth initiatives alongside a commitment to stewardship of resources and integrity in all decisions, actions and behaviours
- Provide strategic guidance and clear direction within a matrix management environment
- A change agent who enjoys growing an organization by leading a high performance team profitably
- Proven success building and retaining a high performance team
- Visionary, inspiration and strategic leader
- Extremely effective interpersonal and relationship skills coupled with a professional presence and manner – confidence, poise, a well-developed ability to enable and engage with all stakeholders
- Brand Ambassador – able to represent the organization externally with gravitas and impact
- Organizational culture, engagement and learning champion
- Strategy development and business acumen
- Proven ability to engage, develop and nurture senior leaders
- Cross-culture sensitivity; workplace diversity
If you are looking for an outstanding challenge, working with a great leader for a very important cause and a uniquely focused opportunity, then what are you waiting for? Please send a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org before March 9th, 2018.