The Great Trail/Le Grand Sentier – created by Trans Canada Trail – is the world’s longest recreational trail. It is used by millions of Canadians and international visitors to experience our country’s legendary wilderness, cycle historic rail trails, explore provincial and territorial capitals, canoe the routes of early explorers, visit national and provincial parks and historic sites, commute to and from work, and enjoy the benefits of safe, healthy, active living.
Trans Canada Trail (TCT) is responsible for facilitating the planning and development of The Great Trail, working closely with provincial/territorial partners and local trail groups and municipalities; raising funds for local and national trail initiatives; and marketing and promotion of the Trail.
In 2017, The Great Trail was connected and we celebrated the successful conclusion of our first $75M Chapter 150 Capital Campaign. Trans Canada Trail now seeks a Manager of Donor Relations to implement and carry out a comprehensive stewardship program from the Montreal head office. Candidates will also be considered in the Ottawa area.
Manager of Donor Relations
The Manager of Donor Relations is a member of the Resource Development Team, reporting to the VP, Resource Development, and liaising with the Director of Development and VP, Communications and Marketing. The role manages all donor relations programs, including stewardship and recognition efforts, along with donor events and outreach initiatives relative to donors at the $1000+ level (including Chapter 150 Campaign donors, foundations, government donors and Governor Program donors). The Donor Relations Manager is responsible for donor reports and is accountable for the development and management of a comprehensive, best-practice stewardship program that strengthens long-term relationships and provides meaningful recognition and accountability on the use and impact of funds provided to Trans Canada Trail.
I. Key Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
- Leads development of a comprehensive and sustainable donor recognition program for TCT that meets the needs of all of TCT’s major donors and programs, including the Chapter 150 campaign, foundations, government and Governor Program donors
- Proactively supports the Resource Development team by writing, designing, executing and monitoring fulfillment of annual and multi-year stewardship plans to ensure all donors are appropriately thanked in a timely and meaningful way
- Provides leadership and oversight to donor/prospect records management for stewardship purposes, including paper and electronic files
- Coordinates all aspects of donor recognition, cultivation and stewardship special events
- Regularly evaluates the quality and impact of the donor relations/stewardship program, including the use of gifts, recognition and events, for effectiveness
- Contributes to the evolution of the Trans Canada Trail Foundation as a strategically-integrated, high-performance fund development organization by providing formal and informal leadership, and the coaching and engagement of direct reports, volunteers and colleagues in the application of best practices in donor stewardship
II. Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communications skills in English and French, including strong written and verbal skills.
- Significant knowledge of stewardship trends and best practices with a proven track record in the creation of comprehensive and effective stewardship programs
- Superior organizational and interpersonal skills
- Shows strong initiative
- Proficiency in Raisers Edge
- Comfortable using technology, including Microsoft Office suite (PowerPoint, Excel)
- Flexible and availability in terms of work hours, and available to travel as required
III. Experience & Education
- Five years of progressive experience in the development and delivery of effective stewardship programs within the charitable sector
- University Degree or College Diploma in Fundraising, Communications or related field
All applicants are thanked for their interest in Trans Canada Trail. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please forward your résumé and cover letter in confidence by Friday, March 2, 2018.
Attn: Manager of Donor Relations
Trans Canada Trail
321 de la Commune West
Montreal, QC H2Y 2E1