YWCA Toronto is dedicated to improving the lives of women and girls. Our programs promote equality, economic security and lives free from violence. We help women and girls flee violence, secure housing, find jobs, establish their voices, enhance skills and develop confidence. We offer a range of housing options, employment and training programs, community support programs, girls’ programs and family programs. We also engage in systemic advocacy.
Reporting to the Manager of Major Gifts and Stewardship, the Philanthropy Writer’s responsibilities include:
- Facilitates and supports the fundraising goals of the Philanthropy Department by producing a variety of written materials for current and prospective donors, stakeholders and volunteer leadership;
- Works collaboratively with the Philanthropy and Advocacy & Communications teams to ensure the highest quality communications are created for internal and external purposes, consistent with best practices and excellence in strategic donor-centred philanthropy;
- Translates complex concepts to lay language with ease and integrates the donor’s individual interests to the written material;
- Researches, develops and writes donor-centric funding proposals and grant applications;
- Researches, develops and writes annual giving appeal letters, digital fundraising, newsletters, social media writing; special announcements; philanthropy reports; acknowledgement letters; cases for support and campaign materials;
- Drafts correspondence for the Director of Philanthropy and departmental Managers, and briefings on individual, foundation and corporate donors as needed for the philanthropy team;
- Interviews program managers/directors and other staff as well as program participants to collect program impact, stories and other information as needed to write annual program reports for the Association and ongoing reports for the Philanthropy Department;
- Assists in planning and monitoring budgets within relevant budget lines;
- Occasional supervision of volunteers and/or placement students;
- Is available for all YWCA fundraising events and is involved in the work leading up to the events as needed, with the approval of the Manager of Major Gifts and Stewardship;
- Other duties as required.
You will have:
- Advanced knowledge in a specialized discipline normally acquired through completion of a graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. English, Journalism, Communications);
- 3-5 years’ experience in non-profit writing and research, or related fields;
- Outstanding story-telling skills and versatility, demonstrated experience writing and editing a variety of the following: Direct Response appeals, funding proposals and reports, acknowledgment letters, stewardship materials, and other documents for specific projects and initiatives;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, set and meet deadlines, problem solve, multi-task and work collaboratively and efficiently to address a wide variety of considerations;
- Expertise in manipulating, analyzing and interpreting data to build a case;
- Demonstrated ability to exercise tact, judgment, confidentiality, diplomacy and flexibility and to represent the YWCA Toronto favourably to both internal and external constituents;
- Experience interviewing, researching, and compiling information from many sources;
- Experience using various research sources including Internet, electronic and written materials;
- Experience working independently and collaboratively within multidisciplinary teams across departments;
- Commitment to ethical professional practice and an ability to effectively interact and maintain good relationships with all Association staff and volunteers;
- Proficiency and demonstrated experience in MS Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint), as well as social media tools and platforms (Facebook, Twitter, etc.);
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and meet goals in a timely manner;
- Superior organizational and administrative skills.
Core Competencies: The employee is expected to:
- Understand and support the mission and beliefs of YWCA Toronto;
- Incorporate principles of anti-oppression and equity at YWCA Toronto;
- Be an ambassador for YWCA Toronto to promote a culture of philanthropy through respectful, proactive relationships with donors and within the YWCA;
- Demonstrate respect, consideration and acceptance of the opinions of others while expressing her expertise and effectively utilizing relevant resources and specialists;
- Consistently collaborate with team members, sharing ideas and differences openly;
- Be receptive to new ideas and adapt to change as necessary;
- Value the contribution of others and take action to strengthen partnerships and support others to achieve effective outcomes;
- Take action to avoid or solve problems and create opportunities for positive change;
- Demonstrate commitment to ongoing personal and professional development.
The hours of work for this position are 35 hours per week. The salary for this position is $48,933 per annum (Level 6), plus comprehensive benefits.
Please note: A police reference check is required by the successful candidate prior to hiring. YWCA Toronto is a unionized workplace. Staff are represented by CUPE Local 2189. This position is within the Bargaining Unit. Please indicate on your cover letter if you are an internal candidate. For internal applicants, this position is not secondable.
Submit your cover letter and résumé to: Sasha Manes, Manager of Major Gifts and Stewardship. YWCA Toronto. 87 Elm Street, Toronto, ON, M5G 0A8. E-Mail: email@example.com
Please quote JOB ID number PHIL0061 and your name in the subject line.
Internal Deadline: Monday, February 19, 2018 External Deadline: Wednesday, February 21, 2018
YWCA Toronto promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women of all races, colours, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations. YWCA Toronto provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring proce, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone enquiries please.
YWCA Toronto is a scent free environment.