Head, Events and Donor Communications
Join the Ontario Science Centre, one of Canada's most visited cultural attractions and a world-renowned educational institution that welcomes nearly one million visitors a year. We offer hands-on science and technology-based experiences that help visitors of all ages understand and contribute to the world around us. Play a key role in supporting our mission, and new Strategic Plan, by continuing the growth of our annual signature fundraising event, the RBC Innovators' Ball. Also, bring your talents to develop an event strategic plan that achieves year-over-year growth and explores new avenues for event-related fundraising. Provide energetic leadership, vision and execution of donor communications with the goal to inspire supporters and incorporate the Science Centre's vision, purpose, strategic objectives, messages and donor impact into events and supporter communications.
What can I expect to do in this role?
You will manage all event-related fundraising, which will include planning, execution and evaluation. Working closely with the volunteer event committee composed of executive-level volunteers, you will lead all areas of the RBC Innovators' Ball including sales, communications, logistics, budget management and on-site fundraising. You will also explore other areas of event-related fundraising for the Centre, which may include third party/independent fundraising events, cultivation/stewardship events, and peer-to-peer opportunities.
You will also lead the development and execution of a communications strategy and multi-channel tactics that showcase why donors or supporters will want to include the Ontario Science Centre as part of their philanthropic giving and sponsorship investments.
How do I qualify?
Event Planning and Strategy Development
- Skills and experience in managing complex $1M+ fundraising events, with 350+ guests, demonstrated experience managing executive volunteers, colleagues and suppliers, and in working within complex organizations in order to develop plans, estimates, reports and to achieve goals.
- Proven creativity and leadership abilities and experience in supporting and coordinating senior/Board-level volunteer committees related to event planning and revenue generation through sponsorships, table sales and generating donations and in-kind support.
- Ability to recommend short and long-term strategies on fundraising events, components, funding solicitation and stewardship to increase and maximize net annual revenue from event-related fundraising. Experience in researching, developing and building new revenue streams.
- Experience with various types of fundraising event streams, including involvement with third party/independent fundraising programs and stewardship events.
- Exceptional research acuity, creativity and strategic vision coupled with strong project management skills, multitasking abilities, budget management and exceptional attention to detail.
Relationship Management and Communication Skills
- Advanced written and verbal communication and persuasion skills to collaborate with various internal/external stakeholders to deliver on-brand positioning and key messages.
- Experience developing and executing a communications strategy with tactics that will serve to inspire investment, improve donor stewardship and position the Science Centre positively in the minds of prospective donors.
- Interpersonal, teambuilding and exceptional communications skills to liaise with the Board, Ontario Science Centre leadership team and other volunteer committees to ensure revenue targets are achieved. Ability to motivate and work directly with the senior, influential volunteers and senior staff to identify and secure prospective supporters and key event resources.
- Negotiation, problem-solving and diplomacy skills to resolve issues with sponsors, donors, suppliers and event stakeholders etc.
Experience in Sales and Fundraising
- Track record in event sales and development (i.e. securing and stewarding sponsorships and sales of $10,000+) including researching prospects, writing and producing proposals and promotional materials, presentations, etc.
- In-depth experience creating and managing revenue-positive/engagement-positive special events to attract and retain supporters and generating revenues of $1M+.
- Specialized knowledge and practice of cultural and educational not-for-profit donor communications and event management theory, principles, techniques, and best practices and demonstrated advancement within Fundraising Event/Development field.
Salary Range: $65,401 - $94,239 per year
- 1 Permanent, 770 Don Mills Road, Toronto
Interested applicants must apply online, by 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, February 27, 2018, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 119968 in the Job ID search field.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.