Posted On: 2018-02-20
Closing On: 2018-03-15
Employment Type: Full-Time
Director of Philanthropy
Constantly redefining what it means to be a ‘community hospital’, North York General is a care-hub for our diverse community, an incubator for applied research, an innovation spring board in the health care landscape and destination for philanthropy.
At North York General Foundation, our team of creative and dedicated professionals supports raising and stewarding funds for our incredible hospital. Building on the unprecedented success to-date of our $150 M Campaign for North York General, we are driving towards the future, planning and investing in programs and infrastructure that will transform how our hospital delivers exceptional care to our growing community. Are you who we’re looking for?
Are you a creative problem-solver? A compelling story teller? A ‘roll-up-your-sleeves-and-get-it-done’ type of person? Can you juggle multiple tasks but still find time to ‘think big’? Do you wake up in the morning wanting to make a difference? Are you passionate about health care philanthropy?
If you said yes to these, North York General Foundation wants you as our Director of Philanthropy.
Reporting to the Vice-President/Philanthropy and Strategy Lead, the Director of Philanthropy provides leadership and mentorship to the fundraising team, backed up by personal experience and success within a variety of portfolios: Individual and Corporate Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Prospective Major Gifts, Mid-Level Giving and Foundations. The Director is a significant contributor to the planning an implementation of Foundation activities to maximize donor support, leverage volunteer connections, cultivate existing donors to move up the donor pyramid, and solicit gifts of all levels in support of NYGH.
The position manages a team of philanthropy professionals as well as a personal portfolio of prospects/donors. The Director is expected to contribute significantly to revenue generation, particularly in terms of major gifts.
- Work at the strategic level with the Vice President/Philanthropy and Strategy Lead and the President to: grow and strengthen our philanthropy portfolios; develop and implement an annual plan for the fundraising team and prepare and manage a team budget, including a combined annual revenue target of up to $15M+ dependent on annual plans and campaign phase; and direct the overall strategy and execution of prospect activities related to major gifts.
- Oversee collaboration with other portfolios to ensure the coordination of asks, and associated internal processes.
- Manage and support the fundraising team, including recruitment and retention, performance management, mentorship/coaching, professional development and the establishment of personal and organizational goals.
- Develop clear, researched, targeted and effective proposals in partnership with the Foundation's marketing and communications team.
- Implement a culture where planned giving is incorporated in all asks (where appropriate) to continue to build this program, and ensure the long-term future of the organization.
- Identify opportunities for growth and expansion within existing relationships.
- Successfully raise funds in keeping with our annual business plans and ever-increasing financial targets.
- Ensure the teams use of, and commitment to, the established prospect pipelines and moves management systems in use in the Foundation.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and drive the expansion, identification, cultivation and recruitment of major gift committees.
- Engage regularly with hospital leadership, physicians and staff to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward grateful patients.
- Participate as a supporting member of, and regular presenter at Development Committee (sub-committee of the Board). Participate, and be staff lead on ad-hoc committees as required.
- Support the Foundation's annual Physicians' Campaign.
- Support the Foundation's special events through the solicitation of sponsorship.
- A post-secondary degree.
- Campaign and hospital fundraising experience preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years experience working in fundraising, with a minimum of 2 in a senior leadership position with responsibility for staff management.
- Planned Giving experience, particularly related to will bequests and gift of life insurance is required.
- CFRE preferred.
- Understanding of, and adherence to, current finance and accounting principles in the not-for-profit sector.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or other database management systems.
- Experience within the North York General community preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage multi-functional areas.
- Ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate and adapt strategic fundraising and stewardship plans.
- Ability to work with senior leaders, physicians and other Foundation staff effectively and collaboratively.
- Demonstrated exceptional communication skills (verbal and written).
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to attain financial and program goals within prescribed timelines.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Proven ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment.
- Ability to act as an ambassador throughout the community.
- A valid driver’s license, use of a reliable vehicle and ability to travel locally is required.
We offer a comprehensive compensation/benefits package, a professional and balanced working environment, and an opportunity to grow with an organization that represents excellence in the not-for-profit and Hospital sector.
To apply for this role please forward your CV and cover letter to FoundationCareers@nygh.on.ca by March 15, 2018. Please reference “Director of Philanthropy” in the subject line.