The YMCAs of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford [HBB], Oakville and Niagara, are jointly seeking a Regional Vice President, Philanthropy to create and lead a new regional model of revenue development during an exciting period of rapid change. In this expanded role, the Regional Vice President will co-report to the President and CEOs of each Association with a mandate to systematically and effectively strengthen and elevate the YMCA’s overall fundraising capacity. Working with and supporting the Board(s) of Directors, Senior Leadership and the Philanthropy teams, the Regional Vice President will design and implement a comprehensive plan to forge new relationships and alliances to build visibility, impact, and financial resources. The Regional Vice President will identify and implement the infrastructure needed to expand and diversify the donor base and pipeline to launch our future capital campaigns, solicit major and planned gifts, bolster annual giving, and grow special events. In this Executive role, the Regional Vice President will supervise a team of seven across three sites, and serve as a key member of the YMCA leadership team.
ABOUT YMCA HBB, YMCA OF NIAGARA, YMCA OF OAKVILLE
YMCA HBB, YMCA of Oakville and YMCA of Niagara are formally exploring collaborative opportunities to share services across the region. Collectively, they deliver programming at over 200 sites across the Golden Horseshoe area and in Haliburton (YMCA Wanakita). The YMCA relies on private and public sector support to provide core programs for the community, including aquatics, childcare, camps, education and training, employment services, health and fitness and immigrant services. Our core values of Belonging, Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility guide our relationships and our work. With a focus on inclusiveness and accessibility, the YMCA enables people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities to be served across all stages of life. Initiatives such as the YMCA Strong Kids Campaign help ensure families may participate in YMCA programs regardless of financial circumstances.
The YMCAs also rely on a multitude of caring volunteers to build healthy children, families, and communities. In 2017, over 1,400 volunteers made a difference in our community by teaching fitness classes, assisting with fundraising initiatives, helping with special events, facilitating youth and children’s programs, and serving on our Boards of Directors.
Donations to YMCA HBB topped $1.2 million in 2016, while the Oakville YMCA raised in excess of $470,000 and the Niagara Y generated more than $420,000. The YMCA Strong Kids Campaign continues to build momentum year over year, acquiring and renewing some 4,000 donors at HBB, 1,500 donors at Oakville and 3,200 donors at Niagara.
YMCA HBB’s annual Cycle for Kids event raised over $100,000 in 2016 with the help of some 200 committed staff members who participate every year. There is tremendous potential to grow revenue and build the donor pipeline at all three Associations.
For YMCA quick facts, please visit: https://www.ymcahbb.ca/About-Us/For-Media/Quick-Facts
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Regional Vice President, Philanthropy will be a strategic, innovative, broad-based big picture thinker who will balance strategy with the ability to execute. With a proven track record of fundraising success, including capital campaign management and securing major gifts, the new incumbent will encourage and promote best practice philanthropy within our Associations and across the communities we serve.
The successful candidate will clearly and compellingly communicate our vision and case for support to elevate the YMCA as a charity of choice with our donors, staff and volunteers. The ideal candidate will establish rapport at all levels in a genuine, authentic manner to foster long-term and sustainable relationships. The new incumbent will endorse outstanding stewardship based on equity and respect.
The Regional Vice President will value and acknowledge the engagement and involvement of all of our stakeholders, be they staff, volunteers or donors. The ideal candidate will strive to build our internal culture of philanthropy with compassion and understanding by promoting inclusion and information sharing. As a coach and mentor to our fund development teams, the successful candidate will leverage their skills and talents. The new incumbent will lead by example, encouraging and guiding their teams to reach their full potential.
With a confident, executive leadership presence, the ideal candidate will be sensitive to nuances in order to gain collaboration and consensus. The successful candidate will influence and persuade with quiet humility and a high level of emotional intelligence. Highly tolerant of ambiguity, the new incumbent will be adaptive, patient and accepting.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate our values of belonging, caring, honesty, respect and responsibility through their personal commitment and professional obligation to the communities we serve. Mission-driven, values based and passionate about our potential, the Regional Vice President, Philanthropy will appreciate and honour our unique environment and culture.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
With a goal of building a regional fundraising model which takes revenue generation to the next level, the Regional Vice President, Philanthropy will:
Fundraising Strategy and Implementation
- Develop and implement a strategic revenue generation plan to increase revenues and ROI.
- Provide leadership and direction in all facets of revenue development.
- Support and partner with the Board(s) of Directors, President and CEOs, senior staff, program staff and the Philanthropy team.
- Build and maintain a portfolio of prospects and donors.
- Elevate the Strong Kids Campaign to achieve continued growth and success.
- Establish the necessary infrastructure to build capacity in all areas of fundraising.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors and making the YMCA a top charity of choice.
Relationship building, collaboration and partnership development
- Work effectively with colleagues at all levels of the organization, reflecting the behavioural expectations and values of the YMCA.
- Collaborate and work closely with the Marketing and Communications team.
- Cultivate and sustain internal and external relationships.
- Infuse a culture of philanthropy to advance support for revenue generation initiatives.
Strategic Leadership and Team Building
- Recruit, lead, supervise and mentor the philanthropy team located in three offices across the region.
- Coach and motivate the YMCA staff, members and the community by developing strong and effective working relationships.
- Facilitate training and ensure adherence to Association policies, procedures, and practices.
- Be a positive role model of the Association’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- Develop and manage annual operating budgets to achieve the philanthropic goals.
- Monitor revenue and expenditures and develop strategy to meet goals on ongoing basis.
- Oversee the development, implementation and interpretation of all policies and guidelines affecting financial development within the Association.
- Ensure adherence to policy and fiscal accountability.
- Provide regular financial reports to the CEOs and Boards including updates on KPIs.
- Ensure that proper legal and regulatory policies, practices and controls are in place to manage risk and liabilities, including contingencies, and to safeguard the assets and viability of the organization.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Proven track record closing major gifts, ideally in the context of a capital campaign.
- Substantial and progressive experience in leadership and management roles, ideally in a large and multi-layered complex fundraising organization, with a regional scope.
- Experience working with senior management, boards and volunteer fundraising committees.
- Ability to build/manage relationships with leaders in the charitable/corporate/government sectors.
- Strong strategic, business and fundraising planning, implementation and management skills.
- Demonstrated track record closing major gifts and securing sponsors.
- Ability to set and meet ambitious, strategic goals.
- Results orientation with excellent planning, analytical and organizational skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and strong listening and presentation skills.
- University degree in related field. CRFE designation or equivalent.
- High emotional intelligence (i.e. self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy, etc.) with demonstrated collaborative, collegial style.
- This position requires frequent local travel, a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Current police records check and Vulnerable Sector Search will be required.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of YMCA HBB and the YMCAs of Oakville and Niagara. For more information about this leadership opportunity, please contact Sylvia Kadlick, Senior Search Consultant or Anita Nielsen, Senior Search Consultant at YMCA@kciphilanthropy.com. All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: http://kciphilanthropy.com/search
To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to the email address above by March 15, 2018.