Posted On: 2018-02-21
Closing On: 2018-03-16
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Mission and Values Statement
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church and charitable movement, active in over 128 countries worldwide. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity. The Mission of The Salvation Army is to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs, and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. This is expressed in spiritual ministry, and also by a wide variety of social services, which are extended without discrimination as to race or creed.
There are three Core Values of our Faith: Salvation, Holiness, and Intimacy with God.
Rooted in these three values are the seven core operational values that guide all aspects of the Salvation Army in the Canada & Bermuda Territory.
Compassion: We reach out to others and care for them.
Respect: We promote the dignity of all persons.
Excellence: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
Integrity: We are honest, trustworthy and accountable.
Relevance: We are committed to the pursuit of innovation and effectiveness.
Co-operation: We encourage and foster teamwork and partnerships.
Celebration: We give thanks by marking milestones and successes.
The powerful mission and core values of The Salvation Army serve as significant attractors for those people who choose to join the organization, which has been serving the under-served and evolving for 150 years.
Position Purpose summary:
The Director of Development (DOD) supports the Divisional Secretary for Public Relations and Development. Based in Toronto, they are responsible for development efforts throughout the Ontario Central East Division.
The primary mandate of the DOD is to lead an integrated approach to fundraising. The DOD will provide leadership to a team of 10, and build on a platform that currently generates almost $14M of unspecified donations through major gifts, planned giving and annual giving programs across the division. These programs will form a framework used to guide, support and recommend improvements for all areas of Development within the division. You will also enjoy the latitude to cultivate new, and steward existing, relationships with key organizations and individual donors to capitalize on major giving opportunities.
The DOD assists the Divisional Secretary for Public Relations and Development in establishing a coordinated approach to development that supports the strategic priorities of the Division and local Ministry Units; while upholding and promoting established Territorial values, policies, procedures and codes of conduct and ethics.
- Provide leadership and direction to Major Gifts fundraising, including the development of strategies for a systematic moves management, prospect management and business plans
- Establish and maintain effective procedures to be followed by all development staff in prospect research, documentation, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individuals, corporations, businesses and foundations
- Conduct regular prospect review meetings with development staff; assign solicitors to selected donors and monitor/evaluate moves management conducted by development staff
- Work in cooperation with public relations and other development personnel with respect to building awareness in the business community
- Develop and expand existing donor relationships with a goal of enhancing support
- Provide leadership to budgets, goal setting and revenue income expectations
- Supervise and facilitate the administration of the program to ensure that it is in compliance with national planned giving and estate administration policy and procedures
- Establish goals and objectives in concert with Divisional staff
- Establish a shared vision and fresh approach to cultivating and managing long-term relationships
- Prepare annual business plans for planned giving
- Provide input to THQ in the preparation of planned giving marketing strategies and materials
- Prepare annual business plans for all annual giving streams.
- Work with Territorial Public Relations and Development, and external vendors/partners to ensure that the divisional program succeeds
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the Direct Mail Program, as it relates to revenue raised, costs, donor retention, reactivation, acquisition and moves management
- Regularly analyze the donor database for giving trends and develop a solid cultivation/stewardship process for annual giving donors
- Develop and implement special projects focusing on reinstating lapsed donors and donor acquisition
- Work in cooperation with public relations to build awareness within the community
Corporate & Foundation Partnerships
- Give leadership to corporate and foundation fundraising with annual business plans, goal setting and budget
- Give leadership to corporate relations activities of divisions, as required
- Give leadership to the development of a stewardship and recognition plan to maintain loyalty and continuing support from corporate donors and partners
- Give leadership to business plans and budgets
- Staff training on the principles of fundraising
- Monitoring, evaluating and conducting performance reviews of planned giving staff
- Mentoring staff and encouraging a collaborative approach in building an integrated fundraising program
- Develop an understanding of the Mission of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities and support the Mission in all aspects of work, including the manner in which responsibilities are fulfilled
- Prepare and monitor the Development budget
- Manage all expenditures in partnership with DSPRD
- Maintain information in confidence as required
- Participate as an active and responsible team member in all work groups through which position responsibilities are achieved
- Participate in probationary and annual performance appraisal process
- Represent the organization in a professional and engaging manner and assist personnel whom the position supports in developing those skills as required
- Work in compliance with OH&S Act and Regulations and abide by The Salvation Army’s health and safety policies and procedures
- Participate in ongoing professional development and training
- University degree in business and/or professional designation such as CFRE required
- Background in a multi-faceted, national organization would be an asset
- Proven fundraising ability with a minimum of 7 years' experience
- Past experience and demonstrated success in the direct solicitation of major gifts as well as a track record of effectively managing staff and building a strong team oriented approach within the Development Program
- Demonstrated knowledge of the fundamentals governing planned giving
- Experience in the development of strategic and business plans and budget management
- High standards of integrity, judgment and confidentiality and an ability to model the values and standards of The Salvation Army
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License, current original Driver’s abstract is required, access to a personal vehicle for business purposes is also a requirement
- Provide an original copy of a Criminal Records Check (CRC) with vulnerable sector screening secured through either the national Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment; Note: A satisfactory criminal background check is required
- Alignment with the mission and vision of The Salvation Army in Canada
- NOTE: Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered
Hours: 40 hours per week
SALARY: Under review
Interested applicants are asked to contact Janet Park by March 16, 2018
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.