ABOUT CROW’S THEATRE
Founded in 1983, Crow’s Theatre has been a leading force in the Canadian theatre landscape, recognized for provocative and award-winning new theatre work that has toured nationally and internationally.
In January 2017, following the completion of a $12 million capital campaign, Crow’s opened the doors to its first permanent home, Streetcar Crowsnest. As the first performing arts facility of its kind in Toronto’s East End, Streetcar Crowsnest offers a dynamic spectrum of affordable contemporary theatre, all-ages arts events, wide-ranging community programming and partnerships.
In addition to being a vibrant cultural hub, the new facility was custom-designed and purpose-built to be an attractive and functional space for weddings, social and corporate events.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Crow’s Theatre invites applications and referrals for the position of Director of Development.
Reporting to the Managing Director (MD) and the Artistic Director (AD), and supported by a Development Coordinator, the primary responsibilities of this role include: advancement of fundraising strategies, driving the successful implementation of annual individual and sponsorship campaigns, developing acquisition campaigns for new donors and supporters, and, in partnership with the MD and AD, the cultivating and stewarding of relationships with key stakeholders, including foundations, business leaders, our Board of Directors and our general patron base. The Director of Development will be accountable for a meaningful annual fundraising target, as well as additional project-specific campaigns that will roll out in the coming seasons.
Driven and detail-oriented, the Director of Development will have breadth of development experience and perspective in fundraising. This experience will include demonstrated success in the solicitation of major donors and corporate sponsors, and in engaging and leveraging senior volunteers in major gift fundraising.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a skilled and seasoned or mid-career fundraising professional to take a leadership role with a vibrant and unique mid-sized performing arts centre that i) punches above its weight with respect to fundraising success and ii) is well poised to grow on its recent and current successes.
The following list outlines key responsibilities:
- With management, develop and implement a fundraising and sponsorship plan, with related strategies that involves corporate and individual giving, programming sponsorships, and government and foundation grants
- Provide leadership to position, the organization and the development team, and marshal the resources necessary to achieve the key goals and objectives of the fundraising strategy and fundraising targets
- Assess current priorities, workload, and resources, and establish an action plan ensuring that immediate needs are met while longer-term strategies, plans and actions are developed
- Maintain and grow Crow’s fundraising database and its policies for recording, maintaining and updating current donor and prospective donor information
- Continue to improve the systems for tracking of donor information and history, recognition delivery and prospect cultivation
- Provide leadership in fundraising, cultivation and sponsorship delivery events, including corporate sponsorship client events, and annual gala
- Implement the donor recognition policy with emphasis on stewardship and donor engagement, including hosting a number of special events each year
- Research prospective funders/supporters and manage fund development pipelines/prospect systems
- Ensure impeccable management of donations, documentation, receipting, payments and thank-you’s, and provide regular reports to management and the Board of Directors
- At least 5 years’ experience in fundraising / development, preferably working in an arts organization in a senior development position, and robust knowledge of the not-for-profit environment
- Highly motivated and self-driven with a demonstrable fundraising knowledge and aptitude
- Ability to seek out and implement innovative fundraising and sales strategies with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Superior writing and communication skills are a must
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and to work well under tight timelines or changes in priorities.
- Strong work ethic, and professional and personal integrity.
- Meaningful campaign management experience is required
- Robust knowledge of CRA regulations for the charitable sector
- High level of professionalism and drive
- Experience with fundraising databases
- Post-secondary education is required
This is a permanent full-time employment position with a salary commensurate with experience. The position includes participation in Crow’s extended health benefits package.
To apply, please email your detailed resume and a cover letter, in PDF form, to email@example.com. Refer to “Director of Development” in subject line.
The deadline to apply is March 21, 2018
We thank all applicants, but only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Crow’s is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non- discrimination in employment on any basis including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion or national origin.