Posted On: 2018-03-01
Closing On: 2018-03-30
Employment Type: Full-Time
CANADIAN CANCER SOCIETY
POSITION: Development Officer, Major Gifts
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Major Gifts
LOCATION: Hamilton, ON
STATUS: Regular, Full Time
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Major Gifts, the primary responsibility of the Development Officer, Major Gifts is to raise major gifts through the building of mutually beneficial relationships with individual donors and prospective donors to the Society. The Development Officer, Major Gifts also has a responsibility to support the work in in the community offices of the Society in building the capacity for individual donor relationship management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Major Gift (individuals) prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship to meet annual revenue budgets.
- Develops and implements relationship management strategies and timetables for assigned prospects and donors.
- Under the direction of the Senior Manager, Major Gifts, liaise with community office staff and volunteers to provide leadership and support with best practices in major gift cultivation and donor stewardship.
- Creates a collegial working environment with key internal departments: Donor Services, Data Group, Community Offices, and Planned Giving.
- Maintains database records of prospects and donors including records creation, updating, reporting and contact tracking.
- Supports the work of the Planned Giving Department in the cultivation and stewardship of planned gifts donors.
- Assists with donor cultivation and stewardship events.
- Works in compliance with the provisions of The Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations, and complies with the Society’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of related post-secondary education and/or equivalent combination of education, training and experience in a multi-level non-profit organization.
- CFRE designation as well as affiliation with AFP would be considered an asset.
- 5years of experience in fundraising with a demonstrated track record in soliciting and securing major gifts.
- Solid understanding of the donor development cycle and best practices in cultivation, acknowledgement, recognition and stewardship.
- Excellent relationship management skills and experience managing a portfolio of donors.
- Demonstrated knowledge of planned gift vehicles.
- Well-developed communication skills, with the ability to effectively persuade and inspire others to support the Society.
- Ability to work independently, communicate at all levels with confidence and exercise sound judgement, tact and confidentiality in relation to donors, volunteers, staff and the general public.
- Ability to manage multiple activities of varying complexity while under time constraints.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word/Excel/Power Point/Outlook) and Raisers Edge.
- Valid driver’s licence and reliable vehicle.
- A passion for and knowledge of the Canadian Cancer Society mission, policies and procedures.
- A Criminal Records Check is required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
Please note that in keeping with the mandate of the Canadian Cancer Society to model and promote healthy lifestyles, employees are not permitted to smoke in or about Society premises or while carrying out CCS business.
- Regular travel within Ontario.
- Occasional requirements to work outside of regular office hours (during the evenings and weekends.
WHAT WE OFFER:
CCS offers meaningful opportunities to make an impact in the fight against cancer. We are committed to fostering a culture that is inspiring, supportive and exemplifies our core values:
CARING COURAGE INTEGRITY PROGRESSIVE
In return for your skills and dedication, we offer an attractive compensation package that encompasses a competitive salary, excellent benefits and the opportunity to have a rewarding employment experience where your contributions can make a true difference every day.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume, cover letter and salary expectations by March 30, 2018 by visiting our careers portal at www.cancer.ca
We thank all candidates for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Canadian Cancer Society is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.