Posted On: 2018-03-06
No closing date
Employment Type: Full-Time
Youth Empowering Parents (YEP) is a unique charitable organization run by a small group of staff and volunteers that, in its short history, has received awards from the United Nations and ABC Life Literacy, among others. A social return on investment study indicated a $12 return for every $1 invested into YEP.
Our founder had taken notice of his little brother, Mo, teaching his mother how to use Skype. Mo was patient and spoke clearly, and his mother quickly learned the skills. It wasn’t as though she hadn’t tried before. Like many adults/seniors, she attended a community computer course but struggled because of the quick delivery of concepts, the facilitator’s inability to speak her native language (Bengali), and she was afraid to ask for help for fear of sounding “stupid.” However, she prospered, as many do, by having her child explain it to her, in her own native language when needed.
But, not everyone’s child is as patient and clear. Consider this common exchange:
“My phone says there’s almost no more space.”
“You gotta delete stuff.”
“Yeah, delete apps off your phone.”
“…what do you mean?”
“Got any apps you don't use?”
“Yeah, you know, apps… that you don’t use.”
“ It’s OK, I’ll just do it for you.”
We build unique training and curriculum booklets that, in minutes, turn children and youth into fantastic teachers. “Click this, then that, then here” becomes “First we need to get to Google. Move the mouse over here where you see all of these icons. This one is called Internet Explorer.” And the conversation above becomes “Imagine your bookshelf. You add a bunch of photobooks, movies and novels, and eventually you run out of space, right? It’s basically the same on your phone. So your phone is telling you there are too many things and there is no more space, so you’re going to have to remove a few things.”
Our programs have engaged thousands of young people, grades 3-12, to teach computers, English language, financial literacy, health literacy, musical instruments, and more.
YEP is seeking a motivated and creative individual to support the growth of the organization and its reach, by strengthening the organization’s fundraising capabilities and growing its donor portfolio.
- Plan and implement foundation, corporate and individual donor cultivation, stewardship, outreach events & activities, with a priority towards multi-year commitments
- Identify funding opportunities from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Prepare compelling and strategic proposals and presentations, as well as stewardship reports
- Create and implement a donor relationship program to foster high donor satisfaction and maximum retention
- With support of other staff, streamline communications of website content, social media platforms, and all other print/electronic collateral and ads, to ensure consistency with fundraising activities
- Provide quarterly reports to the Board and staff with measurable deliverables
- Lead and inspire staff, board and clients to participate in philanthropic activities
- Handle other duties as assigned
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a fundraising environment closing multi-year gifts over $10,000
- A university degree or a combination of comparable skills and experience
- High creativity level and able to work effectively with limited resources
- Self-starter who thrives while working independently and welcomes the challenge of working in a growing organization
- Strong budgeting, researching and Microsoft Office skills
- General understanding of current finance and accounting principles in the not-for-profit sector and of the Canada Revenue Agency guidelines for charitable giving
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and diversity principles, and proven ability to work effectively with a diverse population
- A natural relationship builder
- Extremely adaptable, relaxed and agrees with the organization’s mantra: “Enjoy what you do. Work shouldn’t feel like work.”
- Experience in coaching/mentoring and fostering a learning and growth culture is an asset
Please email your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Senior Development Officer” in the subject line. You are encouraged to apply early, as submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis.