A Career Opportunity
At UNICEF, we work tirelessly to ensure children survive, wherever children’s lives are at risk. As part of the UN, we are active in more countries and have saved more children’s lives than any other humanitarian organization.
By embarking on an ambitious campaign, we will reach every child, even those in the most remote and hard-to-reach places with the essentials that every child and every family needs to survive. Because no child is too far.
Consider joining us as our: Development Officer (Permanent; Full-time; based in Toronto)
The Development Officer (Community) works within the Community Engagement team to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donor relationships to meet the fiscal revenue goals in a manner consistent with UNICEF Canada’s mission and vision.
The primary responsibility of this role is to generate revenue through the development of new partnerships and/or building on existing relationships. A vitally important member of a small team of dedicated staff, the successful candidate will be a leader in managing relationships with major-donor schools, community event organizers and volunteers.
The responsibilities of the position will include:
Revenue Generation (60%)
- Build a robust community prospect pipeline to support the cultivation and solicitation activities for new business development.
- Support fundraising activities including tracking of fundraising for auditing purposes, navigation on digital platform, and donor impact reporting.
- Support and steward Community Event donors based on Community Engagement stewardship matrix.
- Coordinate fundraising activities, maintain and steward existing groups within the Community Engagement portfolio.
- Represent UNICEF at community-based fundraising events as required and engage community stakeholders to support UNICEF’s mission.
- Cultivate new community supporters across Canada as outlined in the Community Engagement fundraising strategy.
- Be proactive in building new partnerships within the community portfolio to grow revenue.
- Support the UNICEF Canada Ambassador program, including high level stewardship to UNICEF Canada Ambassadors and coordination with internal teams regarding strategic activations.
- As required, provide support for additional development activities determined organizational priorities.
Program Management (25%)
- Support development and execution of solicitation and activation plans for Community Engagement campaigns including, but not limited to the National UNICEF Day campaign, including content and collateral development, communication plans, PR and logistics as necessary.
- Develop and implement strong cultivation and stewardship tools/approaches to ensure partners are engaged with UNICEF on an on-going basis.
- Be opportunistic and reactive to new initiatives and emergencies.
Operational Management (15%)
- Recruit and manage interns for solicitation, donor engagement and administrative support.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of annual operating plans, collaborating with the Director on annual budgets and program review, ensuring that fundraising activities align with operational requirements.
- Track all fundraising activity using Raiser’s Edge.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A post-secondary degree/diploma with a focus in fundraising, marketing, sales, or other applicable disciplines.
- A minimum of 2-3 years’ relevant work experience in fundraising, marketing, event planning or sales.
- The ability to work in a fast paced environment, prioritize and multi-task, while being organized, detail-oriented, with strong follow through.
- Proven experience working with stakeholders at all levels, demonstrates strong customer service skills; sound judgement and risk management; a team player and natural relationship builder.
- The ability to analyze, asses and work independently in driving new initiatives or enhancing existing programs.
- Strategic thinking and is resourceful, cost-efficient and intuitively driven.
- The ability to build new and long-term relationships with prospects, donors and volunteers; creative in cultivation and stewardship approach.
- Superior verbal and written communications skills, including public speaking.
- Successful management and coordination of events/ promotions/ employee engagement activities.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office).
- Experience developing new business initiatives and relationships (an asset).
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or relational databases (an asset).
- French language skills (an asset).
For consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by March 21, 2018. Please attach your cover letter (including salary expectations) and resume as one document and reference “Development Officer” clearly in the subject heading.
UNICEF Canada sincerely thanks all applicants for their expressed interest in this opportunity, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Consistent with our Child Protection Policy, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check, including the vulnerable sector screen.
UNICEF Canada is an inclusive workplace and is committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements for the position.