Posted On: 2018-03-12
No closing date
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Title: Senior Manager, Development Strategic Initiatives
Reports to: Vice President, Development, Canada
Department: Development – Team Central
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Status: Permanent, Full-time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.TM
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
The Senior Manager, Development Strategic Initiatives is responsible for working closely with the Vice President, Development, Canada on development, implementation and continuous improvement of special fundraising initiatives and defined comprehensive campaigns including the nation-wide integrated Women’s Initiative.
The Senior Manager, Development Strategic Initiatives is the strategic project leader for specific initiatives. A key driver raising fundraising sights and recommending and/or developing the structure and processes needed to build capacity for greater donor engagement and support resulting in transformational and major gifts. This position includes oversight of provincial and national communication pieces, provincial action plans, Giving Circles, and events, in addition to providing counsel, resources and assistance to fundraisers in the provinces. The Senior Manager does not carry a portfolio of prospects/donors.
- As Development’s strategic initiatives Lead, the Sr. Manager drives fundraising strategy, implements timelines, and develops resourcing and reporting parameters for assigned initiatives and priorities.
- Lead the development of current and future (or concurrent) “centerpiece” fundraising initiatives through an integrated approach that includes multi-faceted revenue streams.
- Accountable for the design and implementation of revenue-generating strategies, including conceptualizing the strategic approaches to be deployed and developing Initiative/campaign action plans and critical pathways.
- Create campaign/initiative plans including key milestones, timelines, market and program solicitation strategies.
- Lead the development of defined cases for support, including mission/research offerings with specific and compelling projects with defined business plans and measurable outcomes.
- Assist in the development of internal mechanisms needed across Canada for initiative/campaign development in major gift, corporate, direct marketing, community fundraising, and legacy (e.g. giving circles, matching gift opportunities, transformational giving opportunities, naming and recognition, etc.), including active engagement in the development of materials and resources for various fundraising streams.
- Manage the day-to-day projects/logistics and the corresponding fundraising-related communication for each initiative.
- Collaborate and contribute on cross-functional enterprise initiatives and influence the effective implementation of assigned deliverables with key players in Marketing/Communications (MarCom), Direct Marketing, Community Engagement, Mission, etc.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to define and achieve deliverables and ensure initiatives are effectively integrated into Heart & Stroke procedures and processes.
- Create and maintain roadmaps with input from initiative stakeholders.
- Work closely with Marcom to integrate messaging related to revenue development in appropriated marketing and communication streams (e.g. website, etc.)
- Serve as strategic advisor to provincial leads and CEOs on provincial initiative/campaign projects, content development and event activities.
- Assist provincial Development Leads in creating and maintaining project plans and incorporating fundraising activity into provincial plans.
- Engage with provinces to empower Leads to secure major gifts and corporate support through their development of provincial initiative plans, volunteer recruitment, etc. – working with Team Central to develop appropriate took kits and coaching for provincial teams.
- Manage resources for national prospects, including support for CEO, Vice President, Development, Canada, and National Advisors.
- Lead and facilitate meetings related to initiatives.
- Evaluate, prepare materials, and develop business development presentations.
- Identify, convey and track initiative milestones and monitor performance and initiative metrics.
- Collect and consolidate management data/reports in order to track performance against goals and Foundation strategy.
- Develop and facilitate training for employees, national board, provincial boards, etc., including senior volunteer orientation and coaching.
- Evaluate and measure the results of all initiatives versus targets.
- Help develop a Foundation-wide integrated culture of philanthropy.
A University degree or equivalent experience is required for this position
Experience and Skills
- Over 7 years of experience working in a donor/partner-centred environment
- Campaign management experience
- Compelling communicator (written and oral)
- Superior organizational, project management and resource management skills
- A strong team work ethic and demonstrated strong planning and organizing abilities
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with all levels of staff is essential
- Self-motivated, with sound judgment and ethical decision-making skills
- Superior ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines, combined with a comfort managing multiple projects, priorities and deadlines
- Ability to work in a multi-layered, complex, results-oriented institution with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to innovate and build
- Strong leadership skills with ability to motivate others
- Solid strategic thinking and analytical oversight skills
- Computer literacy: Microsoft Office, familiarity with Raiser’s Edge/Blackbaud CRM an asset
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.