Organization: Canadian Red Cross
Title: Associate Director, Tiffany Circle
Reports to: Brigid Savage Senior Director, Major Giving and Campaigns
Direct Reports: Two: Coordinator, Tiffany Circle & Events Manager, Tiffany Circle (to be hired)
Location: 21 Randolph Avenue, Toronto ON
Is this you?
Do people describe you as “mature, someone who can get on with anyone, positive, a team player who leads by example?” Are you an accomplished fundraising professional with Major Giving, event and volunteer management experience? Have you led people and ultimately held accountability for your team’s success? Have you applied strategic thinking to successfully grow a Major Gifts program? Are you comfortable operating within a complex organizational structure and working cross-functionally with peers across Canada?
Do you have a track record in securing Major Gifts ($10,000 and above) from individuals or family foundations? Are you mature, articulate, genuine and sincere? Would your peers describe you as a relationship builder, with excellent communication skills – both written and verbal? Do you enjoy working with senior volunteers, in this case – female leaders across Canada?
Do you want to join forces with a group of people that are passionate about improving the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity in Canada and around the world? Do you want to be part of a high performance, results driven team, working with colleagues who are both collegial and have high expectations while sharing your passion for the cause? If this sounds like you, please read on…
The mission of The Canadian Red Cross is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity in Canada and around the world.
The Canadian Red Cross Society is part of the largest humanitarian network in the world: The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. This network includes the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (Federation) and 190 National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies dedicated to improving the situation of the most vulnerable throughout the world.
The Canadian Red Cross is the leading humanitarian organization through which people voluntarily demonstrate their caring for others in need. Their actions and decisions are based upon:
- Humanitarian values, as expressed in their Fundamental Principles
- Respect, dignity and inclusiveness
- Integrity, accountability, effectiveness, transparency, and adaptability
- Quality and safety
In 1965, the seven Fundamental Principles were adopted by the 20th International Conference. They were developed to link together the International Committee, Federation and National Societies. The Red Cross’ network is vast, but their approach is simple. All Red Cross programs and activities are guided by the Fundamental Principles of Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. These principles allow them to provide help immediately to whoever needs it, wherever they are, whatever their race, political beliefs, religion, social status, or culture.
Canadian Red Cross restructured the Philanthropy team in April 2016 and as part of this initiative are evolving the organization design and the supporting processes and back-end support. Our successful candidate will be a senior member of the major giving team and will work out of the Toronto office, reporting to Brigid Savage, the Senior Director, Major Giving and Campaigns.
The Associate Director, Tiffany Circle will be focused on leadership of the Canadian Red Cross Tiffany Circle Program http://www.redcross.ca/donate/other-ways-to-donate/join-the-tiffany-circle. This group as a collective gives approximately $1M annually with 75 members across the country (45 in Ontario). The profile of a Tiffany Circle member is female; community leader, philanthropist, mother, executive, professional and entrepreneur. Tiffany Circle members share a deep commitment to helping the most vulnerable in our communities. These are women who want to be involved and see their impact first-hand.
Our successful candidate will steward and engage this important community to retain and grow membership and donor commitments, manage a volunteer National Steering Committee, and manage (and grow) a personal portfolio of donors at the $10,000 and above level. They will set and implement the strategy for this National program. They will also oversee the annual Tiffany Circle anniversary event and provide direction to a national network of Red Cross Major Giving fundraisers who have Tiffany Circle members in their portfolio, cascading best practices accordingly.
A CFRE designation is preferred.
S/he will need to be able to travel on occasion.
- Day to day contact for the Tiffany Circle members
- Develops, implements and evaluates short- and long-term business plans for the Tiffany Circle program within the framework of a nationwide philanthropy strategy
- Ensures that objectives, projects and critical paths for Tiffany Circle fundraising initiatives are being met and makes adjustments as needed
- Assists with the development of annual revenue and expense budgets for Tiffany Circle program by providing an analysis and forecasts; maintains close control of expenditures throughout the year
- Ensures the delivery of an exemplary, donor-centric Tiffany Circle program in collaboration with the Senior Director
- In collaboration with the National Steering Committee, develops and executes comprehensive Tiffany Circle strategic plans with annual, measurable goals
- Ensures Tiffany Circle activities are aligned with Canadian Red Cross fundraising priorities, brand guidelines and policies
- Provides direction to Philanthropy team across Canada and manages national program operations
- Develops and implements national strategies, activities and recruitment plan in collaboration with Philanthropy staff
- Provides leadership to the National Steering Committee and other Subcommittees including special campaigns
- Oversees new member onboarding, membership training/orientation and engagement activities
- Provides strategic leadership and oversight for local and regional recruitment and educational events
- Leads planning and execution of Annual Anniversary Event
- Oversees national communication with members
- Collaborates with Communications and Philanthropy Hubs to develop marketing materials and update website
- Evaluates the effectiveness of Tiffany Circle program
- Collaborates with Tiffany Circle staff in International Red Cross Societies
- Maintains a portfolio of individual and family foundation donors and prospects and personally conducts cultivation visits, solicitations calls and stewardship activities
- Develops detailed cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies and executes plans for each major donor prospect
- Strategically involves and supports senior leadership and executives as well as senior volunteer solicitors in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major donors
- Plays a key role in working with volunteers, colleagues and program staff to identify major donor prospects
- Provides leadership to the Major Giving team in the recruitment of volunteer champions to support major gift fundraising initiatives
- Provide fundraising support as required to emergency appeals
- Provides leadership to direct reports through coaching, mentoring, training and development opportunities, and performance management.
- Facilitates and enhances a high-functioning professional team
- Plays an active role in preparing the Society for fundraising during emergencies in Canada and around the world.
- As a senior leader of the Philanthropy team, contributes to a One Red Cross approach to fundraising.
The Ideal Candidate
The minimum qualifications for this job are a university degree in Marketing, Communications or Administration and between six to ten years of major gift related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
A strong background in major gift solicitation and in closing gifts. The role involves building strong relationships with prospective and current donors from across Canada, other senior volunteers and the senior leadership team.
Experience in volunteer management is required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including proficiency in public speaking and presentations are required
- Strong analytical skills, with proven experience in developing and analyzing business cases and opportunities
- Strong business acumen, with experience in statistical and performance analysis
- Proactive approach with strong critical thinking, business acumen and problem solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, global environment with multiple conflicting demands, ambiguity and changing circumstances and demonstrated positive experience working in a cross-cultural environment
- Comfortable in a volunteer-led organization and delivering to a volunteer-led accountability structure with a willingness to commit to the Principles of the Red Cross Movement