Posted On: 2018-04-10
No closing date
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Employment Type: Contract
How to apply
Ryerson is a dynamic and comprehensive university built on an award-winning reputation for providing world-class education and training through hundreds of career-focused programs and work-integrated learning opportunities. Ryerson is committed to testing and applying classroom knowledge in the real world in virtually everything we do – from our co-op and internship offerings to zone learning, and out extracurricular and community outreach programs. Located in the heart of downtown Toronto, Ryerson is home to more than 43,000 undergraduate and graduate students, 3,100 faculty and staff, and nearly 185,000 alumni worldwide. Many of our faculty are award-winning scholars and researchers, industry experts and community leaders, and we boast the largest continuing education program in Canada. Ryerson has built a diverse and global innovation ecosystem that nurtures new ideas and bolsters discovery through technology and entrepreneurship. Proudly diverse and intentionally inclusive, Ryerson University is committed to inclusion, respect for Aboriginal perspectives, equity, diversity and putting people first -- making Ryerson a truly inclusive place to learn and work. In 2017, Ryerson was once again named a winner of the Canada's Best Diversity Employers competition.
About University Advancement
University Advancement at Ryerson University is a comprehensive development and alumni relations enterprise serving the priorities of Ryerson’s academic plan. Our mission is to build lifelong relationships, engaging alumni and friends, faculty and staff, and corporations and foundations, and matching their interests with the needs and priorities of the university. The University Advancement team recently completed the Make Your Mark fundraising campaign, which surpassed its $200 Million goal on December 31, 2015. University Advancement at Ryerson is committed to collaboration, diversity, and integrity, and to being trustworthy stewards of our donors’ investments.
The Director of Development (DOD), Annual and Leadership Giving will lead Ryerson’s annual and leadership giving activities, responsible for the solicitation and stewardship for all gifts under $25,000, setting and executing the strategic and operating plans for central and faculty-based cases for support.
We are seeking a passionate, energetic and experienced fundraiser who has an exceptional track record of success in annual and leadership giving. You should be comfortable building relationships with prospects and donors using direct response techniques as well as in-person. You should have deep and broad experience of mail, telephone, email and online fundraising as well as techniques such as giving days and crowd-funding. You will lead a team of annual giving professionals and student callers as well as provide leadership and guidance to your colleagues in University Advancement and the faculties and divisions of Ryerson. You will work with internal and external creative teams to engage alumni and friends with the real lives of Ryerson students, communicating the need for, and impact of their generosity.
We are looking for a professional who appreciates independent work but is also a great team player. You possess excellent communications skills that can inspire your colleagues and our alumni and friends. You have a good sense of humor but also take your work very seriously. Finally, we are seeking someone who is fiercely committed to raising support for initiatives that will have a true and lasting impact on our community locally or at large.
Candidate Qualifications and Skills
We welcome applications from candidates who have:
- A distinct passion for higher education and a belief in the mission and vision of Ryerson
- At least one post-secondary degree and a minimum of 5-7 years of full-time service in advancement, major gift fundraising, or philanthropic relationship management, preferably in an educational or complex non-profit environment
- A strong and impressive track record of annual and leadership giving
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of direct response techniques such as mail, phone, email, online
- Experience of using a fundraising database / CRM
- Experience in higher education is advantageous
- Excellent customer service acumen and proven effectiveness in convening and inspiring internal stakeholders
- Impeccable writing and presentation skills,
- Knowledge of different charitable giving vehicles and financial/gift planning tools
- A deep commitment to diversity, inclusion and equity
- Candidates may be asked to demonstrate qualifications through occupational testing.
- Candidates must have a demonstrated record of dependability/reliability and a commitment to maintain confidentiality.
- Applications can only be accepted online via our website with a cover letter and resume (as one PDF).