Posted On: 2018-05-04
Closing On: 2018-06-01
Effective: June 15, 2018
Employment Type: Temporary
About Camp Oochigeas
In 1983, an ambitious group of board members and volunteers banded together to create a summer camp unlike any other in Canada. Exclusively serving children with cancer, it would be privately funded, staffed entirely by volunteers, and completely free for the campers. A camp where every child, no matter how debilitating their illness, would be provided an opportunity to explore enriching, challenging, fun experiences through what is fondly referred to today as the “Magic of Ooch”.
Over thirty years later, Camp Ooch has experienced exceptionally strong strategic growth and is now offering increased programming in order to better serve our community. Building programs to meet the ever-changing landscape of paediatric healthcare, we have expanded to include programs year-round in Muskoka, at The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto (SickKids), at Camp Ooch Downtown (a Toronto urban camp facility), and six other regional cancer centres in Ontario.
With more than 500 active volunteers each year and over 55 full-time staff, we now serve 1,500+ children and families annually, at our camp and through other year-round programs that support siblings, bereaved siblings, and parents. With no hospital or government funding, Camp Ooch relies on the generous support of over 15,000 donors each year and continues its long-standing history of providing outstanding support and excellent programming for children with cancer.
As part of Camp Oochigeas’ Development Department, the Senior Development Officer, Campaigns & Major Giving is accountable for overseeing the planning, implementation and achievement of a major gifts program to support the organization’s long- and short-term strategic fund development goals. These accountabilities help achieve the following:
- Advance the profile of Camp Oochigeas to donors, prospects and other stakeholders to inspire ongoing commitment which will ensure sufficient resources to meet the organization’s current and future needs, and
- Achieve Camp Oochigeas’ mission of providing kids with cancer and kids affected by childhood cancer with a unique opportunity for growth through challenging, fun, enriching and magical experiences.
Reports to: Director, Campaigns and Leadership Philanthropy
Start Date: June 15, 2018
End Date: Mid - September 2019
1. Planning (5%)
- Contribute to an annual fund development plan and budget for the organization
- Participate in major gift revenue projections, forecasting and budget monitoring
- Assist with business plan preparation and presentations
- Work with colleagues in programs and finance to prepare donor investment opportunities related to programmatic needs
2. Donor & Volunteer Development (50%)
a) Act as primary relationship manager to a portfolio of individual, corporate and foundation donors and prospects (as assigned by one’s supervisor).
- Achieve individual fundraising targets for portfolio by developing strategies to actively engage new prospects, advance or re-engage existing relationships with major gift donors
- Support and work closely with the Director, Campaigns and Leadership Philanthropy, the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and fundraising cabinets to actively engage new prospects and build strategic moves for existing relationships with major ($5k+) and transformational gift donors ($250k+).
- C) Work collaboratively with and in support of volunteers and other Ooch representatives in cultivating and soliciting gifts
Develop targeted solicitation strategies, customized proposals, briefing documents, grant submissions, and presentations to secure major gifts. Direct proactive research and participate in ongoing prospect identification, review, research and clearance
- Ensure that all gifts are received in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency the Camp Oochigeas gift acceptance policies
3. Donor Relations and Stewardship (20%)
- Participate in events and functions related to leadership and major giving
- Connect with donors and fundraising volunteers on a regular basis to share news, updates, impact reports, invitations; provide customized correspondence and experiences
- Work with the Director and Development Officer, Donor Relations to create and implement stewardship and recognition strategies
- Foster relationships with a diverse community of donors
- Pro-actively model a “donor-Centered” ethos, helping to advance a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization
4. Database Management (10%)
- Contribute to the organization’s Major Gifts tracking and activity reporting through disciplined and rigorous use of Raiser’s Edge software by maintaining current records of all solicitation and cultivation activities in database
- Maintain and provide timely and accurate reports on prospect activity and pledges to the Director, Campaigns and Leadership Philanthropy, including call reports
d) Recommend and document ongoing policy and process improvements for Raisers Edge
5. Communications (15%)
- Strategically use the Case for Support for the development of written proposals for special gift solicitations and communications with donors and prospects about the priorities of Camp Ooch
- Working in conjunction with the Communications Officer and Development Officer, Alumni & Donor Relations, draft and ensure consistent messaging and quality in development and stakeholder communications, including template letters and mailings
- Represent Camp Oochigeas at select meetings and events to support fund development initiatives
- Lead and/or participate in public speaking, presentations and 1-on-1 meetings stakeholders
- The Senior Development Officer, Major Giving works collaboratively with all members of the Major Gifts team including Senior Development Officer, Campaigns & Major Gifts, Research and Major Gifts Coordinator and Development Officer, Alumni and Donor Relations.
- The Senior Development Officer works closely with management, including the Director, Campaigns and Leadership Philanthropy, CDO and CEO.
- The Senior Development Officer, Campaigns & Major Giving works closely with other Ooch colleagues, volunteers, donors and prospects.
Help ensure that the integrity, image and quality of all programs are consistent with Camp Oochigeas’ mission, operating principles and objectives and adhere to the code of ethics of Imagine Canada, the Association of Gift Planners, the Canadian Code for Volunteer Involvement and the Code of Ethics of the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
Experience and Qualifications
- University degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a Major Gifts fundraising environment
- Demonstrated track record in major gift cultivation and solicitation of gifts over $5,000
- Demonstrated ability in proposal writing and has secured major gifts
- Must possess the ability to think strategically and work independently in driving new initiatives or enhancing existing programs
- Superior communication and proposal development skills (both written and verbal) and well developed interpersonal skills
- Extensive experience working with Raiser’s Edge or a similar database
- Experience working with and managing senior volunteers
- Experience presenting in a public forum
- Current driver’s license
- Current police reference check
- CFRE designation
- An understanding of the power of camp
- Demonstrated commitment to volunteerism or volunteer sector
- Major Gifts experience working with institutional donors, such as large foundations or corporate partners
Well organized, strong sense of ownership, enthusiastic, passionate, personable, adaptable, diplomatic, attention to detail, able to work in an open concept office environment, and a strong interest in fundraising for children with special needs and exceptionalities
Particular Working Conditions
In consideration of the population Ooch serves, the Senior Development Officer, Campaigns & Major Giving is a non-smoker.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Camp Oochigeas invites applications from all qualified individuals. Camp Oochigeas is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Upon request, Camp Oochigeas will provide to applicants with disabilities, accommodations that take into account the applicants’ accessibility needs, in order to facilitate participation in the recruitment, assessment, selection and hiring stages.
Please send us a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations by June 1, 2018. Fax, mail, or email is acceptable and needs to be addressed to the attention of:
Senior Development Officer, Campaigns & Major Giving
464 Bathurst St.
Fax: 416 961 2267
No phone calls please.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about Camp Oochigeas, please visit www.ooch.org