Posted On: 2018-05-14
Closing On: 2018-06-07
Website: www.doctorswithoutborders.ca / www.medecinssansfrontieres.ca
Employment Type: Full-Time
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Team of 16, with direct line management of 3
Position status: Full-time, 37.5 hours per week, 3-year definite term contract, with the possibility to extend for a further 3 years by mutual agreement
Anticipated Start Date: mid-August 2018
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organisation. Our medical teams act fast to save lives in conflict zones, natural disasters and epidemics. We offer assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. Today, with thousands of health professionals, logisticians and administrative staff – most of whom are hired locally – we’re working where we are needed most in 71 countries worldwide.
As an engine of MSF Canada and the MSF movement at large, the Fundraising Department plays a critical role in securing the success of our social mission. Raising over $59 million annually in private funding – through integrated direct response campaigns, major gifts, special campaigns, and legacy and planned giving vehicles – the Fundraising Department is at the heart of our humanitarian emergency medical operations in the field.
The Director of Fundraising & Development drives the vision, strategy and annual plan for fundraising efforts at MSF Canada. Using innovation, thought leadership and creativity, the Director will not only build on the years of investments already made, but will also etch out the future of Fundraising and Development in the Canadian market. Providing a strong sense of leadership and support to the Fundraising team, acting as an active member of the MSF Canada Senior Management Team, and participating in international MSF platforms, the Director will contribute to MSF’s global success.
OVERVIEW OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- As a key member of the Senior Management Team, participate in the development and achievement of an ambitious strategic plan for MSF Canada, capitalizing on opportunities, mitigating risks, and jointly stewarding resources and activities toward strategic priorities.
- Bring strategic vision and innovative ideas to develop overall fundraising strategies and guide the team in the implementation of their annual plan.
- Lead by example, inspire and motivate others, and foster a work environment founded on our core values of humanity, integrity and results.
- Function in a highly visible, externally facing role as the chief fundraiser for MSF Canada, working directly with top major gift prospects and donors and personally making face-to-face donor solicitations.
- Lead and support a team of 16 employees (3 direct reports) to achieve their goals, establishing trust, respect, recognition and mutual accountability in a high performance, collaborative environment.
- Represent MSF at internal and external events, stimulating increased donor engagement by advocating on behalf of MSF beneficiaries and educating Canadians about the humanitarian needs and impact of donor contributions, and finding creative ways to acknowledge and accommodate their interests.
Click here for the full Job Description: Full job description - Director of Fundraising and Development
Education and experience
- 6+ years’ experience in fundraising in the philanthropic sector.
- CFRE preferred, with a degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven experience in roles requiring strategic vision, planning, and innovative thinking to capitalize on opportunities and minimize risks while managing multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully leading and managing a diverse team, enhancing motivation, development and performance via constructive feedback and ensuring strategic alignment with organizational goals.
- Working experience with a humanitarian aid organization and knowledge of humanitarian aid programs is a strong asset.
Skills and competencies
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF.
- Demonstrated success in roles requiring good judgment, analytic, systematic thinking while managing multiple priorities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English demonstrated in previous roles that require communication with diverse actors; strong oral French skills preferred.
- A public relations orientation: tact, diplomacy, and strong instinct for social protocol.
- Ability to adapt and remain flexible.
- Excellent team builder, with experience collaborating across internal departments (Communications, Finance, etc.).
- Computer literate and familiar with fundraising software.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Flexible, with an ability and willingness to travel, including to MSF projects overseas.
Benefits include 100% coverage on Health and Dental plan, Life Insurance, RRSP contributions, Long-term / Short-term Disability, starting 4 weeks’ Vacation/year, Flexible work hours, Professional Development budget, Employee Assistance Program, and a positive and innovative office culture grounded in our core values of humanity, integrity and results.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION:
Interested candidates are invited to apply by visiting MSF Canada Work in Our Offices.
Please be sure to include references and a letter of motivation as a part of your application.
Only electronic application will be considered.
Application deadline is Thursday June 7th at 9am EST.
Note: Applicants who have questions regarding accommodation and accessibility can send questions/concerns to Phone: 1-800-982-7903 ext: 3454.
For the french version, please follow the link: http://www.doctorswithoutborders.ca/sites/default/files/director_of_fundraising_may_2018_fr.pdf