Posted On: 2018-05-14
Closing On: 2018-05-25
Employment Type: Full-Time
Save the Children Canada is a member of Save the Children International, a federation that works in more than 120 countries worldwide delivering programs focused on health and nutrition, education, child protection, child poverty, humanitarian response, and child rights governance. As the world's leading independent organization for children, Save the Children’s vision is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development, and participation.
Strategic Writer FT
Department: Resource Dept.
Reporting to: Manager, Corporate Partnerships
Bargaining Unit (Y/N): Y
People Manager (Y/N): N
Number of Reports: N/A
Location: Toronto, ON
Primary Job Purpose
Under the direction of the Manager, Corporate Partnerships , this position works with fundraising portfolio managers (corporate, foundations, major gifts and institutional) and relevant program staff to create, develop and enhance an integrated mix of donor/partner-centered communication tools including but not limited to proposals, letters of interest and donor presentations. The Strategic Writer will maintain extensive knowledge of the donor landscape and proposal lifecycle through tracking current and future opportunities as well as generating donor stewardship reports.
Working with the Manager,Corporate Partnerships, Head of Business Development, fundraising portolfio managers, and other relevant program staff to coordinate and support the proposal development, solicitation and stewardship process. This includes:
Acting as the lead writer for corporate partnerships, foundations, and major gifts decks/proposals, including funding proposals for individuals, corporations, foundations and as required, institutional. Development of and accountability to workback schedules (project plans)
–Create compelling stewardship reports that clearly and effectively articulate the impact of the corporation/foundation/individual’s contribution
Execute, coordinate and advise on a diverse array of print and electronic communications that support all stages of the donor-cycle
As required, the management of external vendors to develop creative content.
Ensure communications products ( proposals, reports, correspondence, etc.)are compelling and in alignment with Save the Children’s strategic priorities.
Information and Document Management
Work with the prospect researcher and fundraising portfolio managers to track moves management processes as it relates to proposals/ soliciations and stewardship reports.
Bring forward to fundraising portfolio managers/prospect researcher new proposal opportunities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or relevant degree
- Experienced persuasive writer with a minimum 5 years progressive work experience in Not for Profit/Fundraising sector
- Track record in writing successful gift proposals/grant applications for high value donors
- Minimum 2 years experience in project management with a demonstrated ability to manage for results
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with solid experience in developing creative and compelling communications products
- Familiarity with the current political, socio-economic and historical context of Indigenous Peoples in Canada, in particular knowledge of Indigenous child rights and the social determinants of health for Indigenous children and their families.
Competencies, Skills and Behaviours
- Superior expertise in standard writing and editing skills, including English grammar, punctuation and syntax; French writing skills a strong asset
- Excellent technical/analytical skills and attention to detail
- Superior interpersonal relationship-building skills
- Commitment to the highest standards of professionalism and donor relations
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and time pressures
- Adhere to Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding policy and protocols
- Police check vulnerable sector screening
OUR VALUES IN PRACTICE
- Holds oneself accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
If you are interested in this position, please e-mail a letter of application and a resume by Friday, May 25th 2018 , to email@example.com with Subject heading “Strategic Writer”. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Save the Children welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process