Posted On: 2018-05-23
Closing On: 2018-06-23
Effective: As soon as possible
Employment Type: Full-Time
Reporting to the CEO, the Major Gift & Campaign Fundraiser will develop and manage a donor pipeline, identifying prospective major gift donors, developing relationships, asking for donations and providing ongoing stewardship and recognition.
The role is accountable for consistent growth in revenue as well as donor satisfaction. He/she will be responsible for a revenue goal of $1.5M+ in year one, with 70% in new business. The Toronto individual will be responsible for Toronto to eastern Canada while the Calgary individual will be responsible for donors from Manitoba to British Columbia. The two Major Gift & Campaign Fundraisers will work together, along with the CEO, on large donations with a national scope.
As a granting organization, providing funding to a number of initiatives, including pilot programs throughout the country, the Major Gift & Campaign Fundraiser will explore donor interests and passions, matching them with organizations that impact military, veterans and their families.
The role works with members of the TPL team, on all major fundraising strategies, to maximize donor funding nationally, including the upcoming $10M mental health campaign. As a member of the team, the Major Gift & Campaign Fundraiser may be asked to attend events, expeditions and other trips to build relationships and cultivate participants.
About True Patriot Love
True Patriot Love Foundation (TPL) is a national charity with the mission to inspire every Canadian to contribute to the resilience and wellbeing of our military and Veteran families. Since 2009, TPL has provided more than $18 million to support 25,000 military families, including supporting more than 100 community-based programs across the country that address the unique challenges resulting from service including mental health, physical rehabilitation, transitioning to civilian life, and the special needs of children. In addition, TPL contributes to advancements in research and technology through their $5 million commitment to the Canadian Institute for Military and Veterans Health Research (Queen’s University).
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is a driven, results oriented major gift fundraiser with a track record closing individual, corporate and foundation gifts. They can easily communicate their experience building relationships and securing donations and thrive in a dynamic fast paced, business oriented, culture.
The key success criteria for the role is an individual who is both strategic and tactical. He/she can develop major gift strategies for their donor pipeline while also ensuring the donor cycle (research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship) is executed flawlessly. Most importantly, the ideal candidate is a hunter who loves to be out meeting donors and partners, making connections and closing gifts, comfortable meeting revenue targets and securing new business.
The Major Gift & Campaign Fundraiser is an intelligent individual with high EQ and above average communication skills. They can look at a vast amount of information and make the connections between donors and matching organizations.
The Major Gift & Campaign Fundraiser is responsible for managing relationships with 100 to 150 major gift prospects including individual, corporate and foundation donors. There are six specific functions to maximize performance in the role:
1.Identification – work with volunteers, staff, Board to identify TPL supporters who have the capacity to make gifts of $25,000 and above, to qualify them, conduct research and build a strategy for engagement.
2.Strategy Development –develop and execute tailored cultivation and solicitation strategies for assigned prospects. Prioritize the major gift pipeline ensuring the best prospects are identified.
3.Cultivation –develop relations with individual prospects through extensive telephone, written and in-person communication, working each prospect towards eventual solicitation. As part of this process, the Major Gift & Campaign Fundraiser will work to identify prospects’ areas of greatest interest, and those fundraising priorities that support military, veterans and their families in Canada.
4.Solicitation - develop in-person solicitations and be responsible for background preparation, briefing notes, including the development and presentation of customized proposals and other donation correspondence for prospective donors.
5.Stewardship –develop donor recognition and stewardship strategies for the assigned major gift donors. These strategies may include special communications, events, naming opportunities and ongoing contact.
6.Program Development and Administration – support the TPL team with strategic planning, campaign strategy and execution, and all other major wide initiatives. The Major Gift & Campaign Fundraiser is also involved with the preparation of detailed briefing notes for senior staff and volunteers, documenting donor engagement in the salesforce database and reporting donor pipeline progress and wins.
Qualifications & Required Skills
- 7 plus years’ progressive experience in front-line fundraising, closing gifts in the range of $50,000 plus with staff, Board and campaign volunteers.
- Demonstrated track record managing a donor pipeline and closing gifts. Understands how to prioritize a portfolio so the majority of time is spent on the most promising donors.
- Experience in a results-oriented environment that tracks metrics and measures results.
- Must excel at developing highly complex relationships, based on trust, integrity, and results.
- Preference given to those candidates who have had the opportunity to make creative donor matches, identifying opportunities for donors that didn’t previously exist.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate key funding priorities in a passionate and compelling manner.
- Demonstrated ability to attend to details; exceptional follow-through as demonstrated through effective project management experience.
- Strong understanding of donor stewardship fundamentals.
- Good negotiation and assertiveness skills.
- A hunter who loves being out with donors and matching donors with key priorities.
- Smart, energetic, positive, mature with a high degree of EQ and integrity.
- An excellent listener. Ability to ask questions, explore motivation and meaning in an easy and comfortable way.
- Resilient, adaptable, keen, ready to roll up sleeves.
- A proficiency in Salesforce is an asset.
- University educated.
- One candidate will be based in Toronto and the other in Calgary.
For More Information
If you meet the criteria above and are interested in applying for the position, please send your resume to email@example.com or call Sandra Paquette at 416-763-0404. We are actively recruiting for this position, so to ensure you are given due consideration for this opportunity, interested candidates should send their resumes as soon as possible. Only those qualified for the role will be contacted.