Role: Development Associate
Location: Toronto, Canada
Start Date: Mid July 2018
Position: Full-time, permanent
Deadline for applications: June 30. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position may be filled prior to the deadline.
EWB’s mission is bringing together people and ideas to address the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We are a global organization that combines leadership development, social enterprise investments and policy change to deliver impact in Canada and Sub-Saharan Africa.
You will be responsible for enabling the effectiveness and efficiency of our fundraising team, including providing support for relationships with key partners and major donors and for the administrative operations of the fundraising department, including gift processing, donor acknowledgment, records upkeep. Success looks like a spectacularly efficient fundraising team (including major gifts, with support to annual and monthly portfolios).
You are someone who adapts well to change, can influence people and set norms, flexible when things don’t go as planned and are eager to enable others to do their best work. You are motivated by the bigger picture, you invest in people, and you are great at seeing the steps needed to constantly improve our effectiveness.
You will also support the CEO’s and senior leader’s external relationships. You will support the management of the CEO’s calendar and travel, and take care of external meeting scheduling for a few members of the Leadership team who steward our major donors and partners—this means seamless and reliable scheduling, follow-up, preparation and logistics for meetings and calls with donors/partners.
Your role will require fast thinking, problem solving, system building, high, positive energy, and a commitment to getting the job done well and on time.
This position reports to the Director of Partnerships.
Once you’re here, you will:
- Maximize the Major Giving team’s ability to fundraise, including making sure relationship managers are set up to excel in every meeting and discovering connections and new relationships. You will take an active role in leading/supporting events focused on stewardship/cultivation and prospecting.
- Coordinate efficient fundraising team processes and make sure we hit our targets by participating in partnership team meetings where we work together to maximize our efforts and support each other. You will be critical in helping to assign and support action items and ensure notes are documented in Salesforce. It’s a faced paced environment, and your efforts will keep everyone on track.
- Ensure that donor relationships are always well managed, including supporting donor inquiries and outreach for our annual and monthly gift programs. Working with internal and external portfolio owners, you will contribute to creating a seamless donor experience for Major Giving and Annual/Monthly Giving programs by processing donations and receipts and updating donor records, including management of data from 3rd party systems.
Who You Are
The successful candidate will be adaptive, fast-paced, incredibly organised and hardworking, and able to coordinate cross-organizationally to deliver on project objectives. You aptly navigate organizational structures to manage competing priorities with grace. You identify problems proactively. You have a passion for fundraising and donor cultivation and you’re deeply invested in enabling others to be their best to maximize organizational outcomes. You enjoy interacting with all kinds of people, including volunteers, grant makers and major donors. You are committed to excellent donor service.
The following skills, experiences and knowledge will help:
- 2+ years experience in start-up or non-profit fundraising. Experience working with major donors strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including with cloud computing programs (i.e. Google applications, Word, Excel).
- Experience using nonprofit fundraising software and database management (preferably SalesForce).
- Bilingualism (French/English) desirable.
Skills and Attributes:
- Rigorous attention to detail, with strong interpersonal skills to ensure results are delivered.
- Taking initiative and proactively seeking out creative solutions to challenges.
- Responsive and flexible in managing a high paced, fast-changing environment, working well under pressure and prioritizing many ongoing projects.
- Team player—will roll up your sleeves and do what it takes for the organization to succeed.
- Passion for international development.
Salary commensurate with experience. All employees are provided with a comprehensive health/dental benefit package, Professional Development allowance and 3 weeks of vacation each year.
What’s it like to work at EWB?
EWB is a high-performing team-based work environment. We have over 25 staff members working out of our Toronto-based office and many more based around Canada and in Africa. Our office culture is one of passion, entrepreneurship, pragmatism, thoughtfulness, dedication and hard work. We have a strong commitment to excellence and achieving results. Our leaders, staff, and volunteers are passionate and energetic; this manifests in our dynamic and positive outlook. We blend a passion to change the world with pragmatism.
An inclusive environment
EWB embraces diverse cultures, heritages, experiences and opinions in our efforts to enrich our staff team and foster inclusive decision making. We are committed to providing inclusive, barrier-free employment that are free from discrimination, and to hiring diverse candidates.
Please let us know if you require any accommodation throughout the application process, and we will do our best to accommodate.
A few more details
General office environment, with varied hours as required by meetings, events and other initiatives.
Applications are due by 5PM Eastern Time on the Close Date indicated at the top of this job posting.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
To apply, please visit: http://ewb.humi.ca/job-board
If you have questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, noting “Development Associate” in the subject line.
In your cover letter, show us your commitment and passion - we want to know what drives you to make change in the world, and why you’re the right fit for EWB and this position. We want to know how your experience and specific track record makes you the right person for this job.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.