Posted On: 2018-05-24
Closing On: 2018-06-18
Employment Type: Full-Time
Centennial College is Ontario’s first public college and was built in 1966.
Over the past 50 years Centennial College has transformed itself from a local community college to a global institution with a presence in several emerging markets, including China, India, South Korea and Brazil. As the first Ontario college, its core focus, as it has always been, is on preparing graduates to enter the work force, while offering students distinct ways to learn to be leaders. It has worked to build lasting partnerships with local communities while preparing graduates to succeed in a global context.
As Centennial reflects on its 50th year of operations, it continues to make impressive strides in meeting and exceeding the high expectations they set in their Strategic Plan, its Academic Plan and its Strategic Mandate Agreement with the Province of Ontario. It is exciting to look forward making learning ever more accessible and relevant, building and strengthening productive partnerships at home and globally, enriching capacity for scholarship and applied research. The College has transformed itself into a world-class international organization and has great momentum moving into the second half-century as a leader in postsecondary education.
Centennial’s commitment to bringing the new essential skills of innovation, entrepreneurship, global citizenship, social justice and collaboration to its learners continues to bear fruit. As a leader in internationalization, the College has done extensive work teaching international students. Conversely, it enables more Canadian learners to have an international adventure: be it completing a semester in Spain, an internship in South Africa or a Global Citizenship learning experience in the Amazon Basin.
Centennial College is conducting a search for a: Director of Development: Fundraising & Communications
Responsibility for the planning and oversight of the development function at Centennial is shared by two Directors of Development, one responsible for fundraising and communications and the other responsible for donor relations and events. Both report to the Executive Director (ED) of the ODAE and are members of the Leadership Form of the College. Together they are responsible for overall strategic direction and planning of Centennial’s ongoing fundraising programs, including any and all campaigns, and setting revenue goals for the department. The two Directors of Development share responsibility for the day-to-day management of Centennial’s Development Office and for developing and updating policies pertaining to fundraising, to ensure compliance with Canada Revenue Agency rules regarding registered charities.
Overseeing a team of six, the Director of Development: Fundraising & Communications will determine strategy and provide leadership in the implementation of all fundraising programs including annual fund, sponsorship and major gifts, planned giving and special projects at the College. They will also provide leadership and oversight to the Communications team that develops all messaging and materials for the ODAE office related to fundraising, stewardship, events and alumni engagement.
Candidates with the following qualifications are encouraged to apply:
Experience: A minimum of nine years of progressively responsible career experience in fundraising and marketing / communications.
- Ability to develop and maintain comprehensive fundraising/engagement programs to fit the growing needs of an organization.
- Ability to manage a portfolio of prospects with demonstrated success building relationships, motivating, influencing donors.
- Experience with prospect research tools and techniques.
- Proven track record in soliciting and closing major gifts (at $25,000 plus) from a broad range of donors.
- The incumbent must have extensive knowledge of and experience with successful fundraising techniques and methodologies, be able to analyze research as it pertains to individual, corporate and foundation giving, and have the ability to negotiate at a senior level with industry leaders and contributors.
- Comprehensive understanding of Advancement principles including capital campaigns, annual giving, major gifts, planned giving etc. and knowledge of AFP ethical fundraising code – code of ethics and accountability
Marketing & Communications skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for making presentations, meeting with donors, prospects, writing reports, preparing proposals and documentation.
- Demonstrates specific examples indicating strong writing/editing skills
- Good understanding of the planning process for communications and marketing
- Experience executing a marketing and communications strategy, managing projects and meeting deadlines
- Ability to manage vendor relationships
- Solid understanding of social media, digital marketing and the changing landscape of marketing
- Creative, problem solving approach
- Minimum 5 – 7 years in a management role providing strategic leadership to senior employees and volunteers in the areas of philanthropic giving and/or marketing/communications.
- Strong delegator and team builder with an appetite to share leadership of a close collaborative team
- Experience with managing fundraising teams, projects and campaigns, including leadership of volunteers
- Strategic / big picture thinker
- Outstanding planning and organizational skills, with an acute attention to detail are essential.
- Capability in working with a wide range of stakeholders, including students, faculty, staff, donors, community groups, and corporate and government leaders is essential.
- Effective project management.
- Reliable analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Four-year degree/diploma in the Arts / Humanities, a relevant field such as Business, Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or programs that focus on Fundraising, Development and/or Advancement
This search is being conducted on behalf of Centennial College by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders and fundraisers for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document – we would be pleased to connect with them.
By June 18, 2018, please apply to 2 online application points, with both your cover letter and resume:
- Apply through our website at http://jobs.crawfordconnect.com/jobposting.asp?WebJobPostingsID=37 AND
- By email directly to Clare McDowall at firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Job ID 101 – Centennial DoD in the subject line.
Issues with applying? Please call 1 (866) 647-5149 or email email@example.com.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website or by email to our consultant, in confidence. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.