Posted On: 2018-06-22
Closing On: 2018-07-16
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Royal Conservatory (RCM) is one of the largest and most respected music education institutions in the world, providing the definitive standard of excellence in curriculum design, assessment, performance training, and teacher certification. It is also a leader in the development of early childhood education programs and arts-based social programs, and presents a diverse range of concerts featuring the finest Canadian and international artists in its magnificent performance space, Koerner Hall. Please visit www.rcmusic.com for more information.
The RCM’s Development Department is undergoing a period of strategic growth as it launches Resounding! The Campaign for The Royal Conservatory, a comprehensive fundraising initiative to celebrate and support excellence in performance and learning at the RCM. Funds raised will help to expand program offerings at The Glenn Gould School, the Conservatory’s acclaimed centre for undergraduate and graduate level performance training, and to increase signature programming showcasing the world’s leading artists in Koerner Hall.
The Royal Conservatory is seeking a motivated, committed and experienced fundraising professional to join its Development team to support its major gift fundraising activities in this evolving and dynamic role. Reporting to the Senior Director, Major Gifts and Stewardship, the Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts (SDO) will play a key role in the implementation of the Conservatory’s major gift program and coordination of the Resounding! campaign.
The SDO is responsible for effectively managing a portfolio of donors and prospects in the $10,000-$50,000 range through all stages of the donor cycle. The SDO will coordinate and execute strategic initiatives for the Development team, and will support the work of volunteer committees. She/he will work closely with the team to provide meaningful and timely stewardship to sustain and increase donor involvement, interest and support of the Conservatory.
- Manage a portfolio of partial-scholarship donors and prospects for The Glenn Gould School and The Taylor Academy.
- Ensure appropriate donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies and plans for assigned portfolio are identified and implemented effectively and consistently.
- Support fundraising committees of the Board through the preparation of support materials, including agendas, speaking notes, minutes, etc.
- Assist in the planning and execution of Board-related activities and events.
- Manage and implement select stewardship projects, to facilitate meaningful donor relationships.
- Support the activities of the RCM Founders (Board alumni) to keep them engaged with the Conservatory, through events, communications and appeals, in consultation with the Senior Director.
- Prepare and coordinate fundraising materials such as proposals, briefing notes, presentations, call reports, letters, and other documents/materials, to be used by senior staff and volunteers.
- Proactively conduct research to identify and qualify prospects for major giving and support of the Resounding! campaign. Coordinate pipeline development through the management of prospect lists and assignments on behalf of the team.
- Liaise with other departments to remain current with priorities and plans. Identify, develop and articulate areas for philanthropic support to diversify and expand the Conservatory’s funding opportunities and donor base.
- Actively monitor progress towards financial goals for assigned prospects and donors, taking necessary action to meet and exceed targets.
- Diligently follow Development practices and protocols for recording prospect and donor interactions to enable robust, accurate and ongoing relationship management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 3–5 years’ experience and a track record of success in major gift identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship in the context of a major campaign
- Superior communications skills (both written and verbal)
- Exceptional attention to detail; ability to develop, execute and follow through on plans and manage multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and a positive attitude to work effectively and collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders such as volunteers, donors and colleagues
- Diplomacy and confidentiality are required
- Flexible and able to work under pressure in a fast paced and results-oriented environment
- Comfortable with change and ambiguity
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge and MS Office including Word, Excel and Outlook and high degree of comfort working with donor databases
- University degree or equivalent education and experience
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) accreditation an asset
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
RCM is committed to a policy of equity and inclusion.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and RCM’s Access and Equity policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and current résumé online (please upload a single file combining both documents) at www.rcmusic.com/about-us/careers-royal-conservatory by Monday, July 16, 2018. We thank all applicants and will contact only those selected for an interview; please note this position may be filled prior to the application deadline if a suitable candidate has been identified.