Michael Garron hospital is a true general hospital providing care from birth to end‐of‐life, serving 400,000 people living in East Toronto. We deliver first‐rate care on a first‐name basis ‐ 90 per cent of the health‐care people need, at a level of excellence rivalling anywhere else in the city. We also excel in developing tomorrow’s health‐care leaders, with the largest community and family medicine teaching program affiliated with the University of Toronto.
Michael Garron Hospital’s catchment area is unique in Toronto and the most diverse in Canada. As well, more seniors live alone in East Toronto than anywhere else in the city. Poverty and isolation—two of the most critical social determinants of health—affect people in our neighbourhoods disproportionately.
Michael Garron Hospital Foundation has embarked on the Heart of the East Campaign, our $100‐million fundraising effort in support of our $500‐million redevelopment project. The Heart of the East will completely transform our campus, including construction of the new, eight‐storey Ken and Marilyn Thomson Patient Care Centre and the dramatic redevelopment of our existing facility. Join our team to help us equip Michael Garron Hospital to meet the needs of our growing city and our diverse, often under‐served community.
Currently we have an exciting opportunity for an individual who wants to advance in their career as our Intermediate Giving Officer (Full-Time).
Reporting to the Vice President, Events, Annual & Operations, the Intermediate Giving Officer will develop and execute a community giving program aimed at engaging and mobilizing groups with capacity to support the Heart of the East, our recently launched $100‐million fundraising campaign.
In this newly created role, the incumbent will build and manage programs to solicit support between $500 and $10,000 through the solicitation and engagement of service clubs, individuals, local companies, organizations and third‐party event organizers, both through direct response and face‐to‐ face mechanisms. This individual is responsible for identifying and qualifying prospective donors, cultivating positive relationships and directly soliciting donations at the intermediate gift level. We are looking for a confident, organized and social individual with strong verbal and written communication skills who will be our active voice and brand champion across these target groups.
These programs are intended to capitalize on giving opportunities through the creation of products to upgrade existing donors, attract new donors and build a culture of philanthropy in our community. The incumbent will also generate leads for other portfolios, including identifying prospective donors at the
$10,000+ level and identifying opportunities for third‐party events.
Intermediate Annual Giving
- Working with the Director, Annual Programs, identify a pool of current and lapsed donors capable and inclined to give $1,000 or more annually and cultivate and solicit their support
- Recruit and develop relationships with a network of local supporters and organizations who are willing to undertake fundraising initiatives to further MGHF’s mission in the community
- Achieve revenue targets through a combination of approaches (face‐to‐face or direct mail)
- Identify ‘Giving Circle’ opportunities where a group of demographically distinct individuals will participate on the basis of culture, age, gender, geography or affinity for a certain hospital program
- Track your activities against an established budget, and provide input into revenue forecasts
- Recruit and support a team of volunteers to help this portfolio reach its annual objectives
Cause Marketing Programs
- Develop and launch a cause marketing business to consumer platform with an array of offerings and benefits to participation
- Create and distribute toolkits to solicit participation from businesses
- Create and maintain relationships with local Business Improvement Areas, attend meetings
- Manage a portfolio of small businesses capable of giving at the intermediate level
- Manage portfolio of existing service and community organizations and identify new prospective organizations for potential partnership, develop cultivation strategies
- Grow and continue to develop new and emerging programs to achieve revenue targets, build relationships and support organizational objectives
- Across all programs, work with colleagues in Prospect Management to ensure strategic alignment and clearance protocols for prospects
Requisite skills and attributes
- The ideal candidate is an East Toronto resident and is familiar with the diverse communities that comprise our population
- Possesses a resourceful and entrepreneurial mindset and has experience building programs from the ground up
- Has exceptional written and verbal communication skills, can craft compelling requests for support and is comfortable speaking to groups
- Has good interpersonal skills, and is adept at building relationships
- Is well organized and able to effectively juggle multiple priorities under tight timelines
- Is highly professional, creative, innovative and resourceful, has a sense of humor, is energetic has a positive attitude and a drive to succeed personally and to support team success
- Demonstrates fiscal acumen, including an ability to build and monitor budgets
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is a strong asset
- 3 or more years of work experience, preferably in a not‐for‐profit setting
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge an asset
- Understanding of cause marketing an asset
Please note that we will be reviewing candidates as submitted, and therefore, early applications are encouraged.
If you are ready to join MGH, please email your resume & application form indicating FND1807 in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit our Careers page at www.tehn.ca > Careers > Current Opportunities > How to Apply to download the application form
Michael Garron Hospital fosters an inclusive and diverse work environment. We are committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process. Should you require an accommodation, please let us know how we can work with you to meet your needs.
Our diverse staff is our most valued resource. Compassion, Integrity, Courage and Accountability are the values that set Michael Garron Hospital apart