Posted On: 2018-06-28
Closing On: 2018-07-31
Effective: August, 2018
Employment Type: Full-Time
Future Possibilities for Kids (FPK) provides programs to empower children and youth from diverse Canadian communities to practice Possibility Thinking and become leaders by creating and delivering community service projects.
As FPK enters an important growth phase and we prepare to double our programs, staff and budget over the next 3 years, we are looking for someone who values working in a close-knit, small (and mighty) team environment, is highly passionate about the success and potential for children and youth to become leaders, and is ready to help shape and enhance a fundraising and communications platform that has been steadily gaining momentum. This is a chance to launch FPK's progress to a new level, getting experience and using your skills in virtually all key aspects of fundraising, communications and community relations. If this sounds like you, then you should put your name forward for this role!
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Fundraising and Communications Manager will lead activities related to revenue generation, shaping and sharing the FPK voice in the community and engaging key stakeholders, donors, volunteers and supporters. With a focus on creating positive affinity and a strong experience for anyone who interacts with FPK, and presenting a compelling and inspiring voice for the organization, this position will support the creation, enhancement and monitoring of various fundraising and communications channels, leading to increased resources for programming, building a positive brand reputation and creating ‘pull factor’ to inspire people to engage with FPK. Working with the Executive Director and other staff, this individual will be a champion within the organization for excellence in philanthropy and communications.
- Actively build and create a strong donor experience through storytelling, high-quality, meaningful communications and creative and consistent stewardship
- Set targets for various fundraising channels, and then monitor, track and report regularly on progress
- Manage and grow FPK’s corporate partnerships, including donations, employee and other grants, volunteer recruitment and deployment, such as KidCoaches and Days of Action, and sponsorship
- Support Executive Director with newly launched individual giving program (gifts of $2,500+), including research, prospecting, follow-up, reporting and managing donor relationships
- Lead FPK’s annual campaign drive, including planning, implementation, recruitment of key ambassadors, tracking, monitoring and follow-up
- Lead peer-to-peer events such as the Scotiabank Marathon, including recruitment of participants, creation of content to support, ongoing follow-up and encouragement, and driving fundraising
- Manage and build current and potential third party fundraising channels and events
- Support or lead key fundraising and donor relations events
- Manage grant writing process and calendar, including preparation of grants and reports and managing foundation and government agency relationships
- Support Executive Director with engagement of Board of Directors and Board Committees in fundraising efforts
- Build and manage FPK’s monthly giving program, including stewardship calendar and communications plan, and acquisition strategy
- Manage donor database to ensure accurate and comprehensive information and also to identify of opportunities
- Coordinate with all staff to identify opportunities to engage current and potential donors
- Create and shape a positive, meaningful and creative external voice and image for FPK through various communication channel and stay in touch with the people who drive FPK’s success
- Set targets for various communications channels, and then monitor, track and report regularly on progress
- Plan and implement annual communications calendar
- Manage FPK’s social media channels, including planning, content creation, community engagement and tracking of progress
- Identify key audiences and create and distribute relevant content to them
- Manage FPK’s website, including content, design and tracking
- Manage email communications platform, including calendar, list growth and maintenance, and content creation
- Support communications of key events such as POP!Fest
- Develop key materials for various audiences as needed
- Coordinate between all staff to ensure FPK voice and brand message is consistent, visible and communicated regularly
- Manage media relations, including identification and communication of media opportunities, issuing media releases and staying connected with key media contacts
- Identify opportunities for FPK to be a voice on key issues and create exposure including community forums and roundtables, and speaking opportunities
- Develop community partnerships which will support FPK’s overall success and align with the Strategic Plan
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, manage government relations including MPs, MPPs, Mayors and Councillors, ensuring they are informed about what FPK is doing and are invited to engage where possible
- Attend key program events to build relationships with volunteers and participants and to stay connected to program impact
- Support donor and stakeholder visits to programs
- Capture and develop content from programs which will support storytelling, communications and engagement of key partners and volunteers
- Support program logistics and facilitation of training segments as required
- Understanding of the needs and issues of our target population and the communities FPK serves
- Familiarity with comparable organizations and networks in the GTA
- Strong and proven training and facilitation skills
- Knowledge of fundraising concepts, methodologies and tools
- Understanding of grant, proposal and report research and writing for foundations, corporations and major donors are an asset
- Understanding of communication principles, content management, digital communication and stakeholder relations are an asset
- Ability to manage and engage volunteers
- Solid understanding and appreciation of values-based, volunteer driven, not-for-profit organizations
- Strong interpersonal, motivational, presentation, networking and communication skills (oral and written)
- Passion for, and interest in, working with children and youth
- Intermediate computer skills, using Microsoft products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Outlook), G-Suite (Google products), internet, databases and communications and social media tools (i.e. Canva, Adobe Spark, Hootsuite)
- Graphic design skills and understanding of graphic design software are an asset
- Website management skills and understanding of web architecture are an asset
- Advanced ability to plan, implement and evaluate programs and activities within deadline/resource parameters
- Concrete problem solving and decision making skills
- Demonstrated knowledge, understanding appreciation of diversity and social inclusion
- Strong organizational abilities and ability to adapt to change
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task at an intermediate level with strong attention to detail
- Pro-active and self-motivated
Education, Experience and Other Requirements:
- Completed post-secondary education or comparable experience desired
- 1-3 years experience and/or education and a proven track record in fundraising required
- Experience and/or education in communications, marketing and public, media or government relations are an asset
- Experience working in a non-profit environment supporting children and youth are an asset
- Experience with volunteer management and deployment
- Experience in working with diverse groups of people
- Criminal reference check (Vulnerable Sector Screening) required
- Some evening and weekend work required (sufficient notice will be provided)
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle are required
What's in it for you?
- Working within an organization that values your input and is supportive of your growth and development
- Getting inspired regularly by children, volunteers and community partners
- Being surrounded by team members who are open, helpful and highly passionate
- Feeling good about coming into work every day
- Being part of what many people describe as a "family"
- Comprehensive benefits package
How to Apply:
Submit your application in confidence to email@example.com by Tuesday, July 31st at 5:00pm EST. Applications will not be considered beyond this deadline. Please reference "Job Application F&CM" in your subject line to ensure your application is reviewed. This posting will remain open until filled. Interviews and hiring may be conducted and completed before application deadline date, so submit early!
Future Possibilities for Kids is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from all qualified persons.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We thank all applicants for your interest in Future Possibilities for Kids.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not email (other than as outlined above) or call us directly about the role or about your application. Applications must come through the process outlined above to be considered.