Posted On: 2018-07-03
Closing On: 2018-07-29
Effective: This is a new role, so we’re ready to start when you are
Employment Type: Contract
The opportunity: Do you love animals? Are you passionate about raising funds in support of a cause you care about? Do you want to be part of a trailblazing new approach to animal care and welfare in Canada?
Peterborough Humane Society is looking for an energetic and creative Campaign Manager to manage and execute its capital campaign and elements of its annual giving program.
You’ll have the opportunity to work with a motivated Executive Director who is excited to be fully engaged in the fundraising process; a board of directors who are passionate about bringing a state of the art animal care facility to Peterborough and surrounding areas; an enthusiastic partner in the Ontario SPCA; and leading consultants offering fundraising, campaign and digital media support. Peterborough has been named one of the top 10 dog-friendly cities in Canada and Peterborough Humane Society’s leading-edge new facility will only add to the ranking.
You’re the ideal candidate if you:
- have a history of bringing creativity and best practices to an organization that has ambitious goals; and you can think strategically and execute tactics. This is a small fundraising shop, after all!
- take your work seriously, but not yourself. You’re collaborative (there are lots of partners on this project, so this one is important), self-motivated, and look forward to the opportunity to work both from the PHS office (16 – 24 hours per week) and from a home office while still being part of the team and playing a leadership role
- have what it takes to work in an environment where you’ll get to see both heart-warming and heart-breaking examples of animals in care
- understand that leadership includes following as well as leading and the importance of learning from those with skills and competencies different than yours
- can motivate and inspire both staff and volunteers to achieve great things
- are a problem solver, able to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem
- have a related post-secondary degree and/or equivalent combination of other education and work experience; and at least 5 years related experience as a fundraising professional
- are curious; committed to life-long learning and professional development.
Enough about you, let’s talk about us: Peterborough Humane Society, re-energized with a new Executive Director, cares for over 2,000 animals each year, providing shelter to animals in need, re-homing and veterinary care – including spaying and neutering. As an affiliate of Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Ontario SPCA), Peterborough Humane Society also enforces animal cruelty laws.
The current shelter is over 50 years old and has served us well, but we have outgrown the space and are long overdue for a new ‘purpose built’ facility. The soon to be constructed Peterborough Humane Society will allow us to provide the best standards of care for animals that come through our shelter. It will allow us to contribute to addressing the pet overpopulation crisis through collaboration with our affiliated Humane Societies throughout Ontario. New services will be introduced through the first Ontario SPCA Provincial Dog Rehabilitation centre as part of our new build.
For more information about Peterborough Humane Society, visit: https://peterboroughhumanesociety.ca/
OK, back to you: Thanks for taking the time to learn more about Peterborough Humane Society. If you have read this far, you believe you might have a lot of the skills and characteristics we are looking for that will help PHS care for animals in need and match them with people who can share a lifetime of animal love.
We could list key responsibilities with a percentage break down of each for this role, but PHS has a small fundraising shop and if you know small fundraising shops, you know you have to do everything and be the resident expert in each of the fundraising methods used. You’ll be responsible for the oversight of the capital campaign and some elements of the annual campaign.
Here are some expectations for this role:
- In collaboration with the team of supporters engaged in this initiative, you’ll help recruit a volunteer campaign cabinet
- Work with volunteers to identify prospective donors
- Conduct prospective donor research
- Develop relationships with existing prospective donors
- Steward current donors
- Work with campaign cabinet members to secure donations
- Provide regular reporting on activities
- Work with consultants re: social and digital media content
- You’ll also be responsible for the annual giving direct marketing program, twice per year
- You will report to the Executive Director, work closely with the Manager of Development and Outreach and in close collaboration with Peterborough Humane Society staff and volunteers.
Of course, all of the usual supporting functions are also required: good database management (we use Sumac) and financial reporting; communication; volunteer management, among others.
We could list the many qualities and qualifications we’d like you to have and we could list the many accountabilities this role will have. But you’re a professional and you know what it takes to inspire people to want to support an innovative and ambitious campaign. And you know what is required beyond donor solicitations to build relationships and position an organization for success now and in the future.
Are you intrigued? Do you want to learn more? Please send your resume, letter of interest, including your compensation expectations, to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 29, 2018 at 11:59pm. If you’re the right person for this role, we want to speak with you and learn more about why this opportunity is right for both you and Peterborough Humane Society. We encourage you to send in your material as soon as possible, as we will be reviewing resumes as they arrive.
This role will start as a one-year contract position, however, we are looking for someone to help us grow and who can grow with us over time.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
Section 5: Thanks for taking the time to learn more about Peterborough Humane Society and the new state of the art facility being developed. We welcome the opportunity to expand our network of people who know about our work. Everyone at PHS hopes you find the perfect job for you, whether it’s with us or some other fortunate organization.
We thank all applicants for your interest in Peterborough Humane Society however; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Peterborough Humane Society encourages people from diverse backgrounds to apply and self-identify. The Peterborough Humane Society is proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your cover letter and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at email@example.com.