Posted On: 2018-07-26
Closing On: 2018-08-26
Employment Type: Full-Time
Now in its second decade, Luminato has quickly won a place as one of the preeminent cultural festivals in North America. Luminato is Toronto’s multi-platform international arts festival, dedicated to exploring the world around us through performance, media and visual arts and innovative programming that cuts across traditional artform boundaries. Created in 2007 as a pioneering city-building initiative, in its first decade Luminato reached over 9,000,000 people, bringing to Toronto over 15,000 artists from 40 countries, investing over 60% of its budget in supporting and presenting Canadian content and contributing $1bn to the local economy.
Luminato works closely with Canadian artists to support the creation and development of distinctive new work in parallel with showcasing today’s most exciting artists from around the world, throughout the program reflecting back to our community the defining issues of the day. By doing all that, Luminato shines a bright spotlight on Toronto as a highly connected global city, rich in creativity and ambition. The festival fosters pride in the city and is committed to growing audiences and increasing tourist visitation by creating and offering authentic Toronto experiences.
The widely admired 2018 Luminato festival, including a mix of over 120 ticketed and free events in 20 locations throughout the city, ran June 6 to 24, extending from its previous 10 days to 2½ weeks which is the intended festival length for future years. Luminato is a keenly anticipated summer highlight for Toronto residents and visitors, making an increasing contribution to Canada’s cultural ecology. Its high-profile global platform promotes Canadian artists alongside their international peers, and to producers, presenters and cultural media from home and abroad who are hosted at the Festival, opening up international opportunities for Canadian artists and enabling those artists to undertake ambitious projects that would not otherwise be possible.
The VP, Development provides the strategic direction, leadership and management for all Luminato’s fundraising efforts. The VP will take responsibility for creating effective fundraising strategies, taking disciplined account of internal and external timelines, that maximize the organization's support from corporations, individuals, foundations, governments and all other sources. He/she will play a key role in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major donors and corporate partners for annual and (wherever possible) multi-year investment. He/she will work in close collaboration with the CEO and other senior staff and the Board to achieve the fundraising goals of the organization, being ambitious in maximizing the contribution that fundraising relationships make to the festival’s future development.
The core of this role centres on refreshing and renewing Luminato’s fundraising strategies for its second decade, calling for an approach characterized by purposeful ambition provenly backed by professional authority and credibility and focused effectiveness.
- In conjunction with the CEO establish a strategy for the organization’s fundraising and take responsibility for creating, leading, managing and implementing all fundraising activities.
- Work closely with the CEO and the Board’s Development Committee on refreshing and renewing Luminato’s fundraising relations with the corporate sector, individual givers, trusts, foundations and all levels of Government in Canada and internationally.
- Develop annual fundraising plan in collaboration with the CEO for presentation to the Board of Directors and its Development Committee.
- Develop Luminato’s fundraising strategies so as to grow the long-term, sustainable fundraising revenue Luminato achieves from all sectors, where possible doing that by building multi-year relationship and partnerships.
- Maintain a proactive and effective leadership role in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of corporate, individual (major gifts and planned giving), foundation and government contributions, serving as a persuasive, effective and visible advocate for Luminato's mission and programs in the funding community.
- Maintain vigilant strategic and practical oversight of all of Luminato’s fundraising relationships and approaches, ensuring the Festival always enjoys personally engaged and professionally fruitful relationships with key opinion formers and decision-makers in each of the above sectors.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with sponsors and individual donors, foundation and government members, their staffs and appropriate civil servants and Luminato’s board members, always conscious of the importance of timelines and deadlines and delivering results within those timelines.
- Cultivate and directly solicit key donors, working with the CEO and other key volunteers, as appropriate.
- Lead, manage, and continually develop the Development team, deploying their skills and experience to best effect in developing strategies that grow the revenue Luminato achieves from its external networks, in doing so enabling the Board to achieve its aspiration to grow Luminato’s overall scale, capacity, and impact during the next five years.
- Manage the Development department in a fiscally sound manner by ensuring that all the necessary systems, staffing and procedures are in place to support fundraising goals.
- Take responsibility for all direct mail, grants, brochures, sponsorship proposals or other marketing materials and initiatives required to support fundraising efforts.
- Initiate, plan and lead donor and patron receptions, events, and galas in collaboration with Luminato’s leadership, Board, Marketing and Finance teams.
- Ensure that all donors and sponsors are appropriately and effectively thanked and receive regular communication, making donor stewardship a consistently high strategic priority throughout the year.
- Provide detailed reports of fundraising progress to the CEO, the Development Committee and the Board on a regular basis.
- Contribute as a member of Luminato's senior management team.
- Create new and innovative solutions for corporate partners that meet the business objectives of current and potential sponsors and corporate partners.
- Maintain and continually update intelligence about the corporate sector, companies moving into the area, companies’ significant anniversaries, and other moments and events to have exceptional sponsorship potential.
- Develop systematic intelligence enabling Luminato to identify and secure new, high-level corporate partnerships.
- Create a range of high quality Luminato marketing packages for selling sponsorships and corporate partnerships tailored to local, regional, national, and global companies.
- Initiate and maintain productive relationships with senior-level corporate executives including at advertising and promotional agencies.
Individual Giving and Major Gifts
- Maintain and continually update intelligence about the cultural giving communities in Toronto, Ontario and throughout Canada.
- Recognizing that today’s leading donors are constantly targeted by arts organizations, continually seek to discover and connect with newer donors who have the potential to become major future supporters of Luminato.
- Create a wide range of different kinds of major gift and individual giving opportunities suited to different actual and potential donors, to maximize the overall revenue from those sources.
The successful candidate will have the following experience and qualifications:
- At least five to seven years of proven experience managing a complex fundraising program effectively in a sophisticated organization with a reputation for quality, ambition and excellence.
- Proven ability to gain the respect and support of all the relevant constituencies, including donors and sponsors, foundation and government leaders and Luminato’s Board and staff members.
- A track record as a consistently effective “closer”; a goal-oriented pacesetter with a demonstrated ability to create momentum in pursuit of development goals.
- A provenly successful track record of personally identifying, cultivating and soliciting individual donors, corporations and foundations.
- Outstanding and versatile social skills, and a proven ability to build, cultivate, and steward relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- A record of measurable results in organizing and leading such activities as: major gifts, annual and multi-year gifts, corporate and foundation giving and special events.
- Demonstrated experience in managing people and budgets; ability to work in a hands-on environment using limited resources efficiently and effectively.
- Proven ability to report on fundraising activities clearly and concisely, with appropriate metrics and financial data.
- A versatile, skilled and effective communicator with the ability to articulate compellingly the transformative power of the arts in society.
- An understanding of and passion for the distinctive role of Luminato as it grows to become one of the world’s most admired and significant international multi-disciplinary festivals.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of equity and diversity and proven ability to deal effectively with a diverse population.
- Longstanding exposure to the arts from professional or volunteer experience.
- Undergraduate degree preferred, advanced degree a plus, with focus on development/fundraising management degree or program if possible.
- Seasoned and self-assured, the VP must be able to demonstrate immediate credibility and command the respect of his/her constituencies, both internally and externally.
- An outstanding relationship builder, evidenced by a broad and productive network in the Toronto community and a history of effective consensus building, both internally and externally.
- Committed and enthusiastic about the arts in general or specific segments of the arts community, aligned with Luminato's mission and programs.
- Able to articulate Luminato’s mission, priorities and goals with enthusiasm and creativity to compel others to support the festival.
- Emotionally mature with a strong “boardroom” presence, personal dynamism, excellent interpersonal skills, vision, and business acumen.
- Highly entrepreneurial, resourceful and flexible, a relentless deadline-conscious “closer”, who consistently brings development discussions to a head promptly yet diplomatically.
- A strategist who is adept at planning, prioritizing, multi-tasking, organizing and stewarding projects and plans while remaining highly energetic and focused.
- A team builder with strong skills in management and inspiring leadership.
- A catalyst with vision who can create excitement and energy around Luminato’s mission and encourage others to support the organization - persuasive, persistent, and determined in the pursuit of the organization's fundraising goals.
- Straightforward, self-motivated, and diplomatic - sharing information readily, listening as well as giving advice, and respecting the abilities of others.
- Energetic and willing to work hands-on in developing and executing a variety of fundraising activities.
Luminato offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by email with your cover letter and resumé. Send to: email@example.com
We thank applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.
Luminato Festival welcomes and encourages applications from people who maybe underrepresented in the Canadian workforce – Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, racialized persons, and women.
Luminato is committed to workplace diversity and is dedicated to building a team that reflects the community in which it serves. We encourage qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds and underrepresented communities to apply for this position.
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Luminato is an equal opportunity employer. During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request accommodation. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an in person interview) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with us.
For more information on Luminato, please visit our website, www.luminatofestival.com