Posted On: 2018-07-26
Closing On: 2018-08-31
Effective: As soon as possible
Employment Type: Full-Time
About The Safehaven Project for Community Living
Director, Fundraising & Communications
The Director, Fundraising & Communications is responsible for the management and growth of the fundraising and communications programs at Safehaven to ensure long term sustainability. In the short-term, the Director will build the foundation for a strong and vibrant communications, annual and major gifts fundraising program. The goal is to build this foundation to support long term growth and future campaign capacity.
The Director, Fundraising & Communications is a key member of the Safehaven Leadership Team, working closely with other senior management to promote Safehaven and support the overall strategic vision.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, has two (2) direct reports, and works in a partnership with the CEO, Director, Programs & Professional Practice, Safehaven Board of Directors, and the Safehaven leadership team to implement and sustain quality of care and service delivery, such as implementation of key organizational strategies, such as the alignment of goals with the Safehaven Strategic Planning.
Strategic Fund Development
- Work with the Board of Directors and Safehaven staff members to create and implement the strategic vision for the organization.
- Lead the development and implementation of a multi-year fundraising and communications strategy that underpins Safehaven’s strategic goals to accelerate income growth in a sustainable manner across a diverse range of income streams and embed a culture of fundraising across the organization;
- Develop and implement a comprehensive business plan to meet the goals and objectives of the multi-year fundraising and communications plan.
- Builds a major gifts program, stewardship program, annual giving program, recognition program, and special events programs, including managing the execution of Safehaven’s signature Gala, as well as oversee the development of a comprehensive prospect database.
- Represent Safehaven at community activities to enhance Safehaven’s community profile
- Identify, nurture, and steward existing key donor and potential donor relationships
- Oversee/ evaluate performance and accountability measures of direct reports
- Ensure proactive resolution of human resource issues
- Plan, implement and manage all aspects of fundraising programs and special events as well as subsequent communications with both internal and external key stakeholders;
- Works closely with the Board Fundraising & Communications Committee and volunteers.
- Ensures donation letters and tax receipts are sent on a timely basis in Salesforce;
Communications & Outreach
- Develops an 18 month plan for communications integrating both communications and fundraising to elevate the profile of Safehaven within different communities (government, corporate, philanthropic, etc.).
- Develops measurable goals and objectives to meet these strategic timelines.
- Manages the development of an annual integrated strategic communications and media relations plan to support fundraising strategies and relationships internally amongst families, staff, community partners, suppliers as well as externally to current and new donors;
- Key point of contact to donors, volunteers and local Safehaven communities;
- Ensures the Safehaven brand is used consistency throughout all communications;
- Regular monitoring, analysis, evaluation and reporting on media relations activity;
- Works alongside the Social Work team to plan and execute on-site events and celebrations with clients and families;
- Post-Secondary degree/diploma, and experience or formal training in Fundraising Management/Development, Communications and/or Marketing;
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE), with direct involvement in a professional association an asset;
- 7-10 years of experience in the charitable/non-profit sector, preferably in a healthcare/Developmental Services model, or 7-10 years of experience working in business development, sponsorship, sales and/or marketing with a not-for-profit organization, a for-profit business or an agency;
- Demonstrated track record of having developed a fundraising strategy and met fund development targets in a $1 million+ environment;
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills in English (French an asset) and specifically, effective personal presentation and proposal-writing skills
- Strategic thinker and results-oriented leader
- A creative intelligence that can conceptualize, think through issues and apply current or emerging trends, methods and technologies to the present and future needs of the organization;
- Highly organized self-starter; independent and self-directed;
- Complete and current knowledge of CRA charitable rules and regulations and grant application databases;
- Excellent and up-to-date skills and knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Salesforce fundraising software applications, with strong experience in social media;
- Flexibility and the ability to function as a team player and develop cooperative working relationships;
- Strong written and oral communication skills in order to successfully interact with external clients and employees within the organization;
- Strong interpersonal, customer service, problem solving and planning skills are required;
- Organizational ability and attention to detail;
- Access to a vehicle is required for travel within the city;
For more information and to apply, please visit our company LinkedIn page.