Posted On: 2018-08-02
Closing On: 2018-08-31
Effective: September 2018
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) showcases art, culture and nature from around the world and across the ages. Among the top 10 cultural institutions in North America, Canada’s largest and most comprehensive museum is home to a world-class collection of 13 million artworks, cultural objects and natural history specimens, featured in 40 gallery and exhibition spaces.
The office of the ROM Governors is responsible for all philanthropic activities in support of the Museum’s highest priorities. Its work enables the ROM to better serve its diverse and ever-changing community, by fostering long-term sustainable relationships of exceptional value both to the institution and its donors.
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
The Director, Finance is responsible for executing the strategies, policies and practices relating to financial management of the ROM Governors’ office. The position reports to the VP, Operations and Campaign, and works closely with all functional units in the Foundation and with ROM Finance. The Director will set a strategy to ensure that long-range and short-range financial planning is supported, and that financial results are tracked and managed to ensure fiscal responsibility of the highest level, and to maximize reporting and tracking capabilities. This position will attend the ROM Governors Finance & Investment Committee meetings and the ROM Board of Governors meetings and support the VP and CEO in reporting to these volunteer groups. This position will also support the CEO in reporting to the ROM Finance & Audit Committee.
The Director, Finance will provide expertise in accounting/financial management, analysis, monitoring and measuring. The duties and responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Management of the financial tracking and reporting of the ROM Governors, endowment investment reporting, internal grants and funds transfers, and supporting the budget planning process of the VP and CEO annually, with quarterly reforecasting support.
- Oversee the gift processor for the ROM Governors’ office, and part of the time of the Operations & Finance Assistant to help with the coordination of financial processes within the Foundation, and reporting and transferring grants/funds internally.
- Ensure the effective and accurate implementation and tracking of all financial activities, including:
- Financial plans
- Business policies and accounting practices, including charitable receipting
- Review and analyze financial reports
- Support and advise the VP
- Support organizational budgeting process, and quarterly reforecasting
- Monitor and track organizational financial performance metrics
- Monitor, analyse, and report on all financial management practices including investment management practices
- Ensure that relevant financial data is presented to the VP
- Support estate administration with the legacy team as required
- Provide reports and support of the VP and CEO for the Finance & Investment Committee of the Board related to review and approval of quarterly financial/operating results and investment managers performance;
- Support the Treasurer in ensuring the Board can effectively fulfill its fiduciary responsibilities;
- Provide data and reports for the CEO for the Board of Governors, and the ROM Board of Trustees, and Finance & Audit Committee to review;
- Ensure the preparation and approval of the annual financial statements, and implement a financial risk management program;
- Oversight of the development and maintenance of programs relating to the financial controls and regulatory compliance.
- Provide subject matter expertise related to endowments, estate management, insurance, securities, and other planned giving vehicles;
- Ensure reporting to donors, in conjunction with stewardship staff and relationship managers, on the appropriate management of their funds, payments of gifts, development and review of gift agreements.
- Respond to donor and volunteer queries regarding funds and granting processes, as required
- Reports to: VP, Operations & Campaign
- Direct Reports:
- Gift Processor
- Operations & Finance Assistant (part-time)
- Board of Governors
- Finance & Investment Committee
- Finance & Audit Committee (ROM)
- Campaign Cabinet (as required)
- Board of Trustees (as required)
- Internal Relationships:
- ROM Deputy Director Operations & CFO
- ROM VP, Finance
- ROM Accountants (internal staff)
- External Relationships:
- Auditors, bankers, tax consultants, recruiters, investment managers and government agencies (e.g. Canada Revenue Agency)
- Donors and volunteers
- University degree;
- Accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA);
- Minimum of 8-10 years progressive financial management experience including some financial exposure in the not-profit sector would be a definite asset;
- Thorough knowledge of Non-Profit accounting principles and CRA legislation;
- Demonstrated strategic thinking, creative problem-solving and planning combined with exceptional tactical implementation and project management;
- Proven ability to work well with diverse groups of people including staff, committees and volunteers and/or as a Financial Board member;
- Expertise in financial reporting, analysis, systems, budgeting and planning with a commitment to constantly improving processes, services and programs;
- Excellent analytical, writing, presentation and organizational skills and solid business analysis skills;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
Reports to: Vice President, Operations and Campaign
Starting Date: September 2018
Resumes will be accepted until 5:00 pm on August 31st, 2018.
Please send to:
Linda Knox, Senior Human Resources Advisor, Royal Ontario Museum Governors, submit an application by email ONLY to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Competition #2018-075 – Director, Finance in the subject line.
The ROM Governors is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The ROM Governors wishes to thank all who apply, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The ROM Governors is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Upon request, suitable accommodations are available under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA) to applicants invited to an interview.