Posted On: 2018-09-18
No closing date
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Title: Director, Philanthropy, Ontario
Reports to: Vice-President Development, Ontario
Department: Development, Ontario
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Status: Permanent, Full-time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
Reporting to the Vice President, Development, Ontario, the Director, Philanthropy for Ontario will provide strategic leadership and management of major gift fundraising for Heart & Stroke. S/he will direct the efforts of a team of skilled professionals to achieve the highest priority needs of the Foundation while managing a portfolio of individual prospects, organizations, and family foundations at various stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. A highly respected and proven fundraiser, the Director will oversee fund development functions relating to major gifts across the province. He/she will effectively and successfully deliver on or exceed annual and longer term campaign fundraising goals. As a senior member of the provincial Development Team, the Director will significantly contribute to the growth and effective implementation of Major Gifts fundraising to achieve annual financial goals. The Director will help identify, develop and leverage new opportunities and strategically help build the success of current programs and initiatives.
The incumbent will have mastery of the demonstrated technical aspects of fund development and be committed to the principles and culture of philanthropy. Success at building, managing, and motivating fundraising professionals and support roles is critical to this position. S/he will bring superior communication and relationship management skills with donors and volunteers and a genuine interest for interacting with people.
Fundraising and Strategic Planning
- Contribute to the development of annual provincial Major Gift financial budgets, reviewing financial results and projections on a regular basis to mitigate challenges and optimize opportunities
- Actively participate in the development and maintenance of robust donor pipelines
- Develop the annual and multi-year plan for Ontario’s major gifts goals and objectives.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 100 prospects in various stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- In alignment with the Development team’s strategic plan, deliver on annual targets and achieve philanthropic goals in excess of $2M, and contribute to the success of the organization’s legacy program
- Continue to build a culture of philanthropy and the Development function in Ontario as a key Foundation priority
- The incumbent will spend approximately 80% of time facilitating face to face relationship building efforts, with an expectation of 8+ face to face strategic contacts/month
- Provide leadership and major gift expertise, mentoring direct reports, peers and senior level volunteers.
- Using research, staff/volunteer referrals and networks, enhance the existing pipeline and develop new relationships with potential major donors in Ontario.
- Collaborate closely with Marketing and Mission teams to deliver high quality, highly customized opportunities for proposals and solicitations.
- Collaborate closely with Team Central to develop and deliver high quality, highly customized proposals, solicitations, and stewardship materials
- Oversee and personally cultivate, solicit, recognize and steward relationships for key stakeholders, working in partnership with Provincial CEO, Provincial VP, Fund Development Committee members and Provincial Advisory Board.
- Deepen relationships with existing supporters for excellent stewardship and engagement.
- Lead stewardship and communication planning with tailored and meaningful plans for top donors and prospects.
- Collaborate actively with the Mission team to ensure appropriate representation of staff, scientists, clinicians, etc. at donor meetings and/or events.
Operations, Central Database Recording & Moves Management
- Participate in an integrated moves management program and prospect clearance process
- Ensure that all outcomes from prospect, supporter and volunteer contact are recorded in the database within 48 hours
- Ensure the seamless collection and coordination of information for prospective donor advancement purposes
- Take an active role in learning about and keeping up-to-date with the Foundation’s priority funding opportunities, with particular alignment with nation-wide priorities and interests
- Comply with all policies and practices at H&S, including compliance with Code of Professional Conduct
- Recruit, develop and provide regular coaching and performance management to a team of professionals to effectively support philanthropic goals. Ensure the Philanthropy team is appropriately versed in Heart & Stroke strategic research and programs. Provide subject matter expertise, mentoring and advice as appropriate.
- Lead the efforts to meaningfully engage the Honourary Board members
- Provide regular briefings, coaching and advice to the Fund Development Committee, Provincial Advisory Board, as required, on the progress of the Philanthropy team’s goals for the campaign.
- Genuinely engage with senior level volunteers to create enthusiasm for exercising their influence in their own constituencies.
- Senior Advisor, Philanthropy
- Development Coordinator
- University degree and CFRE designation and/or involvement in a professional association are considered assets.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of 8 years progressive experience in fundraising in a large, multi-level and/or complex health related organization.
- Has a track record of working closely with a President, Vice-President, and/or senior level executive leaders and volunteers.
- Exceptional networking ability, demonstrated tact, diplomacy and creative problem solving capabilities.
- Demonstrated major gift development or campaign experience and driving the acquisition of gifts at $100,000+ range.
- Experience in successfully recruiting, training, mentoring and managing a team of fundraising professionals.
- Proven ability to cultivate meaningful relationships with individual donors and foundation partners.
- Experience participating in an integrated central fundraising program and prospect clearance process.
- Ability to work at the detailed level with a high degree of accuracy and quality.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills – volunteer briefings, proposal and letter writing.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work within a CRM database.
- Appreciation and understanding of AFP Code of Ethics, Policies and Procedures.
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.