Posted On: 2018-10-05
Closing On: 2018-11-02
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: December 2018
Employment Type: Full-Time
Organization: Heart & Stroke
Title: Senior Manager, Marketing Analytics
Reports to: National Director, Direct Marketing and Lottery
Team: Three Direct Reports: Manager Marketing Data; Associate Manager, Reporting & Analytics, Lottery; Coordinator, Analytics and Email
Location: Toronto (Yonge and Eglinton)
Is this you?
Are you looking for a role within a visionary organization that is redefining the donor experience? Working for an organization that holds data as the key for significant growth? Are you a collaborative manager who is comfortable turning a new vision into reality? Do you enjoy working with data to derive meaningful and actionable insights? Are you a strong blend of strategic and executional and enjoy sharing your knowledge with others?
Have you ‘owned’ a marketing database in the past, acting as the ‘air traffic controller’ who sees the big picture and connect the dots? Would your colleagues describe you as a holistic thinker who is also a “doer”? Do you have a great skill balance and knowledge of analyzing data from the offline and online worlds and bringing the data to life?
You aren’t an order taker but will work with your peers to shape the request into actionable insights. You know how to prioritize requests and manage expectations. Your current or previous boss would say you are the kind of person who “gets it done.”
If we asked your direct reports to describe you, they’d say you are fair and work with them to bring out their best. You enjoy working with cross-functional teams, including IT and Data Management departments; you feel like you speak their language but also speak to the marketers!
You are a team player who goes above and beyond to ensure the success of your peers and ultimately the success of the cause. You have a passion for a cause that will save the lives of millions of Canadians.
Does this sound like you? If so, keep reading.
Every seven minutes, someone in Canada dies from heart disease and stroke. An estimated 1.6 million more are living with the devastating effects of these diseases. And 9 in 10 Canadians have at least one risk factor, such as high blood pressure, obesity, tobacco use, lack of physical activity and diabetes.
The threat of heart disease and stroke has never been more urgent. And it’s amplified by our aging population, sedentary lifestyles, poor diets and more.
Big challenge, ambitious goals.
These are the realities confronting us today. To tackle these challenges, Heart & Stroke has set out the following ambitious goals:
- By 2020, reduce the risk factors for heart disease and stroke by 10%.
- By 2020, reduce Canadians’ death rate from heart disease and stroke by 25%.
We are focusing our efforts on areas where we can make the biggest impact:
- fighting for prevention
- saving lives
- transforming recovery
- investing in life-saving research
Achieving these goals won’t be easy. But the support of our donors and volunteers makes it possible.
We believe life is worth fighting for. And we don’t want you to miss it. To learn more about what we do and who we impact, visit: http://www.heartandstroke.ca/what-we-do/our-impact/our-story
The Senior Manager, Marketing Analytics will report to the National Director of Direct Marketing & Lottery. They will be responsible for leading the reporting, analysis and management of all fundraising database and analytics needs. They will have three direct reports, two currently in place, one to be hired. The Senior Manager will oversee: processes and vendors for pre-campaign set up, data selection, analysis, segmentation, targeting, database management, as well as their team.
The Senior Manager will work collaboratively with their team and cross-functional partners to provide leadership and vision in a fast-paced, fluid environment to ensure that data is translated into insights and is a primary driver in driving success towards raising funds for the mission.
It will be the responsibility of the Senior Manager to develop, implement and refine reporting methods, including techniques and tools focusing on self-serve options (dashboards) to allow for faster data access by program leads. They will also analyze and produce complex data reports to identify, spot and interpret trends both within tactics and across campaigns and make data-based recommendations on strategy improvement with the goal of improving performance.
They will liaise closely with many departments including IT and Data Management teams ensuring that all stakeholders are working together and as efficiently as possible. They will develop and lead training with the Lottery and Direct Marketing team to ensure staff are trained and able to perform basic queries and reports on their own. The Senior Manager is ultimately the owner of the marketing data, acting as the “air traffic controller” for the team on data requests and other insights.
Budgeting & Planning
- Work as part of the senior DM leaders to develop and fine-tune annual and short-term
- Management of budget including tracking and invoice approval and administration
- Create and manage the calendar of data and reporting needs for all programs within the portfolio, ensuring meeting critical paths and availability of resourcing and budgets
- Monitor, research and share market trends, evolving thinking and technologies and the implications to HSF programs
Data Management, Segmentation & Analytics
- Produce and analyze complex data reports to identify, spot and interpret trends and make recommendations for adjusting strategies to improve performance and translate the data into useful business intelligence
- Analyze donor behaviour, and work with the marketing leads to develop and implement donor segmentation strategies; identify opportunities to improve donor communication, upgrade, retention and lifetime value
- Ensure the accurate completion of monthly, quarterly reports showing results, performance and Key Performance Indicators (KPI) reports for stakeholders
- Implement and refine reporting methods including techniques and tools focusing on self-serve to allow faster access by program leads
- Oversight of the extraction of data from sources such as Blackbaud CRM, Cornerstone, ExactTarget (Salesforce) and google analytics databases for lottery and fundraising campaigns, including donor segmentation and targeting recommendations; ensure data sent to and received from external partners is accurate and timely
- Develop and document protocols to ensure the ongoing maintenance of the database(s) to ensure overall integrity, quality and health of data.
- Work with stakeholders within department and within wider organization identify and implement process improvements to manage increasing demands on database resources, including standardized data selection forms, minimum coding requirements, self-service options, dashboards, and other items as required
- Develop and lead a training program to bring the DM and Lottery team members up to recommended standards of knowledge to maximise efficiencies, including ensuring staff are trained and able to perform basic queries and reports on their own.
- Departmental lead for CRM management including ongoing processes, UAT, QA, changing requirements and enhancements
- Lead vendors in providing targeting recommendations and procurement of lists from external sources
- Identify and lead projects to refine and build data segmentation models
Internal Stakeholder Relationships & Vendor Management
- Build, manage and sustain the internal and external business relationships necessary to support the programs’ objectives, including key suppliers
- The primary lead with data and analytics vendors including sourcing, performance management and contract negotiations
- Work across the organization to keep informed of other Foundation programs and activities to identify opportunities for learning, insights and collaboration
- Build strong lateral relationships with IT team to achieve maximum integrations and synergies, especially the development and use of CRM and other projects that support the advancement of the team
- Lead talent development, ensuring high standards, competence and that staff is well supported in fulfilling their accountabilities, developing their skills and achieving their career potential
- Providing clear direction on business goals and priorities; ensure optimal deployment of resources to achieve business goals
- Build and develop cohesive lateral relationships cross functionally
- Establish performance plan and objectives and review on an ongoing basis; provide coaching and feedback as per the performance management process
- As required, recruit skilled talent in support of current and future Foundation needs, following Foundation policies, interviewing methodology and assessment guidelines
- Familiarize and comply with all HSF policies while ensuring accurate administration of employee related information: absence records, vacation, title, etc.
- Ensuring insights and processes inform and support campaigns that lead to maximum donor engagement and revenue
- Ensuring campaigns meet goals while ensuring Foundation vision of donor journey
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will have extensive knowledge working with databases such as Blackbaud CRM (or comparable), Cornerstone, ExactTarget (Salesforce) and Google Analytics (GA). They will be familiar with tagging (online and offline) and Google AdWords. They will be a strong talent developer, a competent presenter who can take complex concepts and break them down and simplify as needed. They will be a cross-functional collaborator who has an exceptional ability to ‘get stuff done.’
- Minimum 10 years of direct response and/or database management experience in a customer-centered organization
- Experience working with databases (Cornerstone and Blackbaud or equivalent) and front-end reporting tools ideally in a developing environment
- Solid experience and understanding of data to inform direct response campaigns
- People management experience
- An understanding of donor experience
- Experience managing external suppliers and consultants
- Ability to translate complex ideas to layperson language
- Exceptional data querying skills using SQL, SAS, Excel, and MS Access
- An extremely strong ability to translate data into action
- Knowledge of data-visualization including Tableau or equivalent
- Development of sophisticated data models including donor segmentation
- Ceaseless curiosity and an ability to delve into the data to prove/disprove hypotheses
- Exceptional project management skills and ability to oversee and execute on complex campaign schedules
- Very strong ability to manage multiple demands
- Understanding of customer file segmentation and strategic planning based on ongoing interactive communication
- Must be a team player with strong interpersonal skills including collaboration and consultation
- University degree in analytics, finance or a combination
If you are someone who is looking for an outstanding challenge, working with a great team for a uniquely focused and successful organization then what are you waiting for? Please send your covering letter and CV to email@example.com. Please include examples of reports you have created and an example of an insight’s presentation. Applications are due no later than Friday November 2nd, 2018. Thank you for your interest in this exciting opportunity. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.