Organization: Heart & Stroke
Title: Manager, Early Donors
Reports to: National Director, Lottery and Direct Marketing
Team: One Direct Report (to be hired)
Location: Toronto (Yonge and Eglinton)
Is this you?
Would your colleagues describe you as a data-driven, strategic and executional marketing acquisition specialist? Are you a self-starter with exceptional verbal and written communication skills? Do you pride yourself on your ability to use data to inform and shape strategy and tactics? Do you consistently strive for more but do so through a lens of donors needs and market trends?
Are you known for your ability to build and manage strong cross-functional relationships both internally and externally (including agencies)? You have ideally managed agency relationships directly in past roles.
Your direct report(s) would describe you as a hardworking, collaborative, marketing specialist who is passionate about using data to guide decisions. They would say you are a fair and supportive manager who takes pride in building strong work teams. And, you have a lot of fun at work!
You consider yourself an exceptional project manager, who can work through ambiguity and still execute a beautiful campaign with a positive end result.
You have a comfort level with budgets and finding unique and creative ways to stretch a dollar for the largest impact. You are a dreamer and a doer, with a passion for working with an evolving and visionary organization that will impact and save the lives of millions of Canadians.
Does this sound like you? If so, keep reading.
Every seven minutes, someone in Canada dies from heart disease and stroke. An estimated 1.6 million more are living with the devastating effects of these diseases. And 9 in 10 Canadians have at least one risk factor, such as high blood pressure, obesity, tobacco use, lack of physical activity and diabetes.
The threat of heart disease and stroke has never been more urgent. And it’s amplified by our aging population, sedentary lifestyles, poor diets and more.
Big challenge, ambitious goals.
These are the realities confronting us today. To tackle these challenges, Heart & Stroke has set out the following ambitious goals:
- By 2020, reduce the risk factors for heart disease and stroke by 10%.
- By 2020, reduce Canadians’ death rate from heart disease and stroke by 25%.
We are focusing our efforts on areas where we can make the biggest impact:
- fighting for prevention
- saving lives
- transforming recovery
- investing in life-saving research
Achieving these goals won’t be easy. But the support of our donors and volunteers makes it possible.
We believe life is worth fighting for. And we don’t want you to miss it. To learn more about what we do and who we impact, visit: http://www.heartandstroke.ca/what-we-do/our-impact/our-story
The Manager, Early Donors (‘Manager’) is a new role responsible for overseeing the strategies, development and execution of donor campaigns and tactics from acquisition to onboarding. The Manager will report to the National Director of Lottery and Direct Marketing. They will manage campaign strategy, planning, execution and analysis, including the development, planning and roll out of all portfolio marketing initiatives. They’ll act as project manager by developing critical paths and budgets. They will also manage the production and stakeholder involvement as needed.
The Manager will be a lover of data and analytics. They will use data and knowledge of online/offline tactics to deliver the best onboarding experience to new (and in some cases, existing) donors, while keeping a line of sight on the future donor journey past the first gift. They will oversee a team of one (to be hired) and will work with cross-functional stakeholders within their team as well as across the Foundation to achieve best-in-class results.
- Build strong lateral relationships within Direct Marketing & Lottery team and with Community Engagement and Marketing & Communications departments to achieve alignment on fundraising goals, tactics and plans. Pro-actively lead and gain the support of teams to support the implementation of new initiatives
- Business Strategy and Planning: Develop and manage the donor journeys for acquisition (including In Honour/ In Memory) and onboarding
- Develop short-term and long-term fundraising strategies and tactics for portfolio including testing and analytics
- Work closely with peers to ensure pipeline development is executed seamlessly
- Develop and execute onboarding and setting the stage for second gifts
- Through analytics, intimately understand the prospective donors and the triggers for response and reactivation
- Conduct Deep analysis in the effectiveness of the portfolio’s structure and tactics including vendors, premium, non-premium and online
- Define and conduct analysis/research and contribute insights to the development of donor-first journeys
- Campaign Planning and Execution: Oversee and manage the development, planning and execution of all portfolio marketing initiatives, from cradle to grave
- Modify campaign plans, as necessary, based on real-time results, market conditions and new learnings
- Evaluate and measure the results of all campaigns versus targets as responses are received and upon completion of campaign
- Provide regular and timely updates of all key timelines, challenges, critical paths and outcomes
- Lead agencies/suppliers to leverage their expertise in developing compelling marketing communications and supporting program delivery
- Ensure key business and quality control processes are followed to secure first-month fulfillment, issue receipts and successfully transition the donor beyond their onboarding journey
- Operations, Analytics and Budget Management: Lead the development and management of annual business plans, financial outlooks and budgets for the portfolio
- Manage a detailed monthly review of spending against budget and ensure accurate and timely accounting and reporting of expenses and analyze and resolve variances
- Build strong lateral relationships with Creative team to ensure consistent branding and messaging within overall Brand architecture
- Build strong lateral relationships with Mission team to ensure alignment on key funding priorities, mission-related information and breakthroughs
- Talent Management: Lead talent development, ensuring high standards, competence and that their direct report (to be hired) is well supported in fulfilling their accountabilities, developing their skills and achieving their career potential
- Establish performance plan and objectives and review on an ongoing basis; provide coaching and feedback as per the performance management process
- Providing clear direction on business goals and priorities; ensure optimal deployment of resources to achieve business goals
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will possess a strong understanding of online and offline acquisition marketing who is passionate about running an effective program that maximizes every dollar. They will have led a team and will be comfortable managing and setting budgets. They will be tactical in execution yet able to set the strategy and keep a line of sight on industry trends. They will be a cross-functional collaborator who will be comfortable managing external vendors and partners.
- Strong degree of comfort with ambiguity but able to translate into tactical programs
- Has held people accountability, ideally totalling 1-3 years experience
- Strong online and offline acquisition experience
- Demonstrated success in premium and non-premium acquisition mail programs
- Strong analytical capabilities including database segmentation and ROI analysis; Must be able to read the data and construct the story
- Budget management experience
- Experience managing multiple external agency and creative partners
- Experience within a fast-paced environment involving multi-tasking and critical deadlines
- Website and E-commerce project management experience a plus
- Requires strong understanding of motivations/needs of donor groups
- Apply data segmentation to execute a strong program of customized messages
- Requires ability to see the big picture and contribute to long-term strategic decision making
- Requires working with multiple stakeholders while working through multiple complexities
- Ability to balance competing priorities, complex situations and tight deadlines
- Data-driven thinker with ability to identify and respond to issues and opportunities in a timely manner
- Demonstrated ability to construct donor journeys across multiple touch points and channels
- Production experience including understanding of variable print
- PC Knowledge – Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint
- Strong project management skills, attention to detail and ability to handle multiple and competing demands on a consistent basis
- Proven success meeting and exceeding revenue targets
- Strong interpersonal skills and a strong collaborator
- Established ability to work with data and analytics to maximize response
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills
- Self-initiative is a must
- Flexibility and a very strong sense of urgency
- Minimum of 7 years of Direct Marketing experience in a fundraising environment and strategic planning
- University Degree in a related area
If you are someone who is looking for an outstanding challenge, working with a great team for a uniquely focused and successful organization then what are you waiting for? Please send your covering letter and CV to email@example.com. Please include a sample(s) of a campaign you directly worked on, including a summary of the impact and how it was measured. Applications due no later than Friday November 2nd, 2018. Thank you for your interest in this exciting opportunity. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.