Posted On: 2018-10-09
Closing On: 2018-10-31
Effective: November/December 2018
Employment Type: Full-Time
The mission of Make-A-Wish® Canada is: Together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. Along with the National Office, eight regional chapters grant transformational wishes for children in need from coast-to-coast. Make-A-Wish Canada (MAWC) is an affiliate of Make-A-Wish® International (MAWI), the largest wish-granting organization in the world, granting wishes for more than 450,000 children since 1980.
To increase the efficiency and effectiveness within the National Office, Make-A-Wish Canada is seeking an innovative fund development leader and strategist to engage individuals to support our wish-granting mission. A key member of the senior management team, the position will report directly to and work strategically with the President and CEO and external consultants (as necessary) in the development of the Foundation’s Individual Philanthropy program(s) and activities. The Director, Development will also work closely with the Director, Brand Marketing to grow the Foundation’s Direct Response Marketing program.
Building on the recent fundraising audit conducted by KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.), the Director will be responsible for developing and implementing an annual operating plan to elevate fundraising across our organization. The Director, Development is responsible for developing, managing, executing and evaluating the Individual Giving program for the organization, which includes grant solicitation, annual and major gifts. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of performance and a strong knowledge of best practices in fundraising, particularly in the areas of donor cycle management and direct marketing programs. This position is well suited for a strategic thinker with a strong entrepreneurial spirit who is prepared to be hands-on in all aspects of fundraising. The Director, Development is a member of the senior leadership team and reports directly to the President and CEO.
The primary role of the Director, Development is to take on a leadership function to secure funds in the areas of philanthropic gifts, to positively impact the National office’s fund development portfolio. The incumbent will be responsible, in collaboration with regional major gifts staff and CEO’s, for identifying, researching and closing leads with individuals with significant giving and developing/directing the Foundation’s annual Individual Giving campaign. This includes donor research/prospecting, cultivation and stewardship, creation of materials (i.e. case for support, individual collateral), and providing superior client service and delivery. The ideal candidate will have proven results in major gifts fundraising, annual campaign, direct marketing and Planned Giving.
Team Leadership and Management:
- Responsible for building the Individual Giving team as appropriate
- Leading and managing the Individual Giving team as appropriate
Strategy and Planning:
- Participate with the senior leadership team in the strategic and business planning process.
- Define fundraising priorities in collaboration with colleagues across the organization.
- Develop new strategies to build and maintain a competitive position for securing donations and maximizing giving opportunities to enable the achievement of short and long terms goals.
- Develop and manage annual budget and operating plans and targets for individuals and foundations.
Responsible for the strategic direction and implementation of annual campaign activities in order to:
- Grow the Foundation’s individual donor support base,
- Encourage/strengthen monthly giving;
- Move donors up the pyramid; and
- Strengthen donor engagement with the Foundation;
Responsible for the strategic direction and implementation of Major giving activities including;
- Secure, cultivate and steward major philanthropic gifts (defined as annual gifts of $10,000 and up)
- Execution of Major gifts campaign 2019-2024
- Work with the consultants, Major Gift Officers and Make-A-Wish chapters in development, strategy and execution of campaign components
Responsible for the strategic direction and implementation of Planned Giving activities including;
- Source, cultivate and steward planned giving donors and prospects
- Strategize and execute Planned giving campaign in collaboration with the Chapters
Volunteer Collaboration & Management:
Responsible for the strategic direction and implementation of volunteer cabinet activities including;
- Build/Inspire/Support Committee(s)/Cabinet(s) of volunteers in connection with campaign and major donor cultivation/stewardship activities;
- Work with leadership, committees and individual volunteers to identify, prospect and cultivate major funding opportunities;
Direct Response Marketing:
Responsible for the strategic direction and implementation of Direct marketing activities in collaboration with Director, Brand Marketing including;
- Lead, strategize and implement annual national direct mail program, with external consultant/agency;
- Work with the Director, Brand Marketing in the development and execution of a robust monthly giving program;
- Optimize the donor lifecycle and journey as it relates to acquisition, on-boarding, cultivation/engagement and retention from donors acquired via email or online;
- Proactively monitor digital marketing industry to identify new and emerging media channels, trends, and technologies that can be utilized productively;
- Work with Director, Brand Marketing to oversee cross-channel digital fundraising and donor engagement strategies that cultivate Make-A-Wish current supporter base and build an engaged community of new supporters;
Responsible for the strategic direction and implementation of collaborative philanthropic activities including;
- Collaborate on donor research and prospect development, encouraging strategic cooperation between the National and Chapter offices;
- Provide leadership, training as appropriate, expert support and be a resource for key development personnel within the Foundation, both at the National and Chapter Offices;
Collaboration with Make-A-Wish America (MAWA)/Make-A-Wish International (MAWI):
Responsible for the collaborative activities between Canada and the USA including;
- Liaise and collaborate with Make-A-Wish America/Make-A-Wish International in relation to annual, major and planned giving and direct mail program(s).
- Benefit from best practices, tools and resources and training opportunities
Responsible for the strategic direction and implementation of Foundation activities including;
- Developing strategy for Foundation funding of mission and new initiatives;
- Developing Case for Support for Foundation giving that can be executed upon
- Ensure that every 3 years research new foundations and clean up of the list happens
- University degree or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Proven experience successfully leading an Individual Giving program with experience in Major and / or mid level giving
- Experience and success with identifying, cultivating and engaging donors across a variety of giving levels
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with philanthropists (of all levels), volunteers and constituents
- Self-motivated through focused attention on achieving superior service;
- Ability to multi-task through strong organizational and time management skills;
- Superior written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders;
- Strong analytic abilities to support the planning, execution, evaluation and delivery of corporate programs;
- Strong relationship-building skills to establish meaningful connections with the high-end individual community;
- Ability to network, influence and build strong relationships, in addition to, proactively managing challenges and identifying solutions;
- Ability to develop, lead, manage and mentor employees, individually and as a team;
- Follows procedures, policies and protocols and strives to increase efficiency.
- CFRE considered an asset
- Proficient PC skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Computer proficiency with databases, spreadsheets, and word processing; Salesforce experience preferred.
- Proven data management and analysis skills;
- Exceptional relationship building management knowledge;
- Flexible and dynamic;
- Capacity for occasional travel, and some evening and weekend work.
Please submit your resume and cover letter, indicating your salary expectations by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application closes 5pm ET on October 31, 2018. We thank all candidates for your interest; however, only those candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.