The Lung Association is dedicated to helping all Canadians breathe.
Our community of donors, patients, researchers, volunteers and professional staff are dedicated to ensuring Canadians have the healthy lungs, body, and clean air, which are vital to healthy breathing.
We want to ensure that no one takes their breathing for granted, and strive for better breathing for all.
Position: Direct Marketing Coordinator
Effective Date: Immediately
Reports to: Direct Marketing Manager
Location: Provincial Office – 18 Wynford Drive, Toronto
About The Lung Association (TLA):
The Lung Association is dedicated to helping all Canadians breathe. Our community of donors, patients, researchers, volunteers and professional staff are dedicated to ensuring Canadians have the healthy lungs, body, and clean air, which are vital to healthy breathing.
We want to ensure that no one takes their breathing for granted, and strive for better breathing for all. This is an opportunity to join a team at an exciting point in time – an opportunity to build on your experience, grow your skills, and make a true difference in the lives of all those that struggle to breathe.
To view our latest Annual Report: https://lungreport.wpengine.com/.
Direct Response donations represent more than 30 per cent of TLA’s gross annual income. The Direct Marketing Coordinator assists with the planning and implementation of individual giving campaigns through direct mail and other channels, as well as the management of direct mail gift processing and program administration. Direct response appeals will be aimed at acquisition, conversion to monthly giving and legacy marketing activity. This role will be responsible for acquiring and driving lifetime value of supporters, as well as exploring and testing new campaigns for acquisition and retention. The Coordinator assists with reports on income to budget and other aspects of the campaigns. This position is also a key liaison with suppliers on the development and execution of campaigns and will be the point-of-contact for the other provincial Lung Association’s participating in the national Direct Mail program.
- Liaise with suppliers (e.g. copywriter, graphic designer, printer, mailing house) to ensure that national direct mail campaigns are prepared in accordance with the TLA budget, work plan(s), policies and procedures, and that they are distributed in a timely fashion. Also critical is ensure adherence to privacy legislation.
- Respond in a consistent, timely manner to relevant staff queries re campaigns, and requests for donor information, lists and other reports.
- Liaise with other departments as necessary to resolve problems/issues
- Liaise with counterparts in other provincial Lung Associations on a regular basis to plan and implement agreed-upon shared direct response programs, as well as update on results
- Coordinates feedback where necessary and forwards approvals on: copy, art, data, quantities and budget considerations to appropriate parties
Files, Reports and Analysis
- Create mailing list files according to agreed selection criteria for direct response campaigns or exchange or other mailings. Direct Response programs may include, mail, telephone, email, television, Internet and other forms of direct solicitation and combinations thereof.
- Request database modifications to facilitate work.
- Ensure that reports on the direct response program and individual campaign results are prepared, interpreted and distributed in a timely manner to management and to community offices and direct response agencies as appropriate.
- Run month end and year end reports for Accounting; working with accounting to balance revenues.
- Analyze campaign and test program results; making recommendations for future campaigns based on test results; ensuring that agreed changes are implemented.
- Extracts appeal results and prepares highlights; distributes / presents to supervisor and team
- Ensure accurate coding of donor records in The Raiser’s Edge fundraising database
- Coordinates and project manage the appeals in the annual direct response program – includes direct mail donor and acquisition efforts, calling programs and web/online appeals execution tasks including data, design review, content sourcing, and copy review, in collaboration with or under direction of the Direct Marketing Manager
- Obtain quotes for purchases of goods and services for direct response campaigns; determining quantities; coordinating the preparation of purchase orders; reviewing
- Writes creative brief for each campaign
- Oversees appeal schedules and performs role of project “traffic” steward
- Contributes to donor stewardship strategies including executing or new “welcome” communication for new single gift and monthly gift donors
- Liaises with donors for appeal content (e.g testimonials, stories, monthly giving, etc.)
- Implements donor information changes and requests in the fundraising database, and in other program lists (i.e. removals), as needed, to meet donors’ needs
- Assist in the development of a long term direct response fundraising plan
- Contributes to annual development of appeal strategy for one-time giving and monthly donor giving
- Help prepare budgets for submission to the Vice President, Marketing & Development.
- Develop and help implement procedures to protect the privacy of donor information and respond to donor queries on such information and our procedures.
- Coordinates and completes invoice administration; processes all supplier invoices and submits with supporting documentation for approval to Supervisor, then to Finance
- Maintains a record of appeal costs
- Assists in regular verification of appeal budgets and financial statements
- Performs other duties consistent with job classification, as assigned or required.
Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with and motivate a team
- Knowledge of the Direct Response field including understanding of database management, package creative and production, mailing services and distribution, telephone techniques, internet and email fundraising, and other forms of direct solicitation
- Understanding of new and emerging legislation and guidelines for privacy as they apply to direct marketing campaigns and treatment of donor files and information
- Experience in managing multiple simultaneous projects with varying deadlines
- Demonstrated management skills, with the ability to develop and work within budgets
- Strong computer abilities including fundraising software e.g. Raisers Edge and Windows-based word processing and spreadsheet applications e.g. Excel
- Proven ability to execute detailed projects and coordinate tasks, working successfully unsupervised to meet deadlines
Experience and Education
- University degree (marketing or related degree preferred) or 3-year College business diploma
- Minimum of 3 years of direct marketing and related experience ideally within a charitable/non-for-profit organization
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter, along with salary expectations, to Geeta Thomas, Director - Human Resources, at email@example.com