Organization: Kids Help Phone/ Jeunesse J’ecoute
Title: Senior Development Officer, Corporate Partnerships
Reports to: AVP, Philanthropy & Partnerships: Susan Hallsworth
Location: Kids Help Phone 439 University Avenue Suite 300
Is this you?
Are you motivated by the opportunity to significantly change the landscape for the wellness of young people across Canada?
Are you passionate about helping young people deal with the challenges of growing up in today’s complex, ever-changing world?
Do you ask questions, listen and observe to identify potential opportunities?
Do you seek and build triple or even quadruple WINS with corporate partners?
You always see the potential and can envision and do, meaning you enjoy exploring what is possible and have strong experience and abilities to manage projects and details. You have a deep understanding of Corporate Canada and recognize the need for their continued involvement of, and support toward philanthropy and in particular, youth mental health. Your personal rolodex within Corporate Canada is impressive and current and you pride yourself on your relationship building (and maintaining) ability. You are a builder, and you embrace challenges courageously.
You have a proven track record of closing gifts in the 6-7 figure range and have been able to successfully manage corporate relationships of all shapes and sizes.
Kids Help Phone is on a transformational journey, one that will see us change the landscape of youth mental health in Canada. We can’t do it without a team who are willing to be game changers and help fuel that journey. We need team members that are passionate about making a real difference in young people’s lives. It will take courage. It will take resilience.
Sound like a journey you want to be a part of? Then keep reading…
Kids Help Phone is a Canadian and world leader, known for our expertise and continuous innovation as Canada’s only 24/7 professional counselling and information service for young people in both English and French. We have been pioneers in virtual care and e-health solutions for young people in Canada for almost 30 years.
Since 1989, we have offered kids, teens and young adults a critical lifeline of hope and support through our free, anonymous and confidential services, which research shows significantly improves youth mental health.
Young people reach out to Kids Help Phone’s professional counsellors and trained volunteers from every corner of the country via phone, Live Chat and texting, and benefit from our database of local youth-serving programs. Kids Help Phone’s website is a widely recognized model of youth-focused design; offering therapeutic tools, games, information, and counselling.
As an organization that speaks with young people every day, we work to share their perspectives and improve their well-being on a societal level. Kids Help Phone raises the majority of our revenue from individuals, foundations, corporations, and community fundraising; thanks to our generous donors, we can work to achieve our vision of a future where every young person in Canada will access the support they need in the way they need it most
The Corporate Development Team plays a critical role within the organization to raise critical funds for today and the future for sustaining current youth mental health services, resources, fueling our innovation and thought leadership, and data analytics by deepening support from existing corporate partners and broadening the donor base to attract new corporate supporters focused in the area of sponsorship, employee engagement, cause marketing, philanthropic gifts, gift in kind and other custom partnership opportunities.
The Senior Development Officer, Corporate Partnerships (SDO), solicits and secures gifts within Corporate Canada at the $50,000 to $1 million+ level, with an annual target of $2 million in commitments, contributing to the ambitious goals of Kids Help Phone that supports their current counselling services, innovation, and a range of projects to advance the mission of serving youth mental health in Canada
The SDO is responsible for proactively managing a pipeline of up to 120 prospective donors in all stages of the development cycle. Working closely with senior volunteers, the corporate development team and colleagues across the organization, the SDO develops and implements cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies that provide prospective partners with meaningful opportunities to impact the cause of youth mental health with Kids Help Phone/ Jeunesse J’ecoute.
- Develop an understanding of the scope and impact of Kids Help Phone’s depth and breadth of services, resources and partnerships
- Develop and implement strategies that engage, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of prospective corporate and foundation donors
- Work in partnership with senior management to facilitate maximum private sector support for Kids Help Phone
- Engage with and professionally support senior staff and volunteers in corporate gift cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities
- Prepare compelling and strategic corporate development materials including briefing notes, proposals, and stewardship reports
- Engage regularly with Kids Help Phone leadership and staff to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward corporate and foundation donors
- Support the AVP, Philanthropy & Partnerships and Executive Team members in the development and execution of corporate gifts and pledges for partners with the capacity to give $1m or more
- Manage a group of 80 - 120 prospects (identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship) using a focused and accountable approach of strategy development and implementation
- Conduct 12-15 portfolio calls per month with a goal of 144-180 annual calls per year
- Identify potential partners and develop strategies to solicit prospects and steward their gifts, including written materials such as cases for support, proposals, sponsorship decks, and scripts, employee engagement activities
- Build pipeline through prospect identification of 35 or more new prospects per year
- Active solicitation of a minimum of 10-15 major gift proposals per year
- Collaborate with advancement team members across the country with their corporate development activity
- Collaborate with philanthropic writer on proposals and stewardship reports
- Liaise with brand strategy and communications staff to develop materials, messaging, content for corporate donors and cause marketing programs and stewardship activity
- Liaise with prospect research to identify prospects that are appropriate matches for priority areas
- Prepare activity reports (includes: names of donors to recruit/visit, solicitation calls, cultivation calls)
- Maintain accurate, professional and current Raiser’s Edge and hard-copy records, actions, and reports
- Cultivate strong professional relationships with counselling, knowledge translation and administrative staff
- Work closely with donor relations team to determine the best strategies for effective acknowledgement, recognition and stewardship of donors
- Work with donor services and donor relations to ensure that acknowledgements, tax receipts, invitations, and other correspondence are sent in a timely manner
- Work with senior management to identify and recruit volunteer leaders
- Supervise, coordinate and effectively engage volunteers in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors
Planning & Communication:
- Assist in the preparation of an annual plan of measurable goals and strategies (including precise and practical deadlines), to maximize corporate to the organization
- Provide input respecting corporate fundraising that can be incorporated into Kids Help Phone’s overall Advancement team plan
- Report fundraising activities (includes: names of volunteers to recruit/visit, solicitation calls, cultivation calls, Board calls-preparation for next campaign-give/get) at corporate meetings and ensure that these actions are recorded in Raiser’s Edge database
- Work with colleagues to plan and execute proposals, and targeted communications for current and potential corporate partners
- Work as a team player promoting a positive and professional work environment and conduct role with integrity and respect
- Act as an Ambassador throughout the Community, positively representing the organization
- Be conversant with Kids Help Phone’s services and resources and approach to counselling
- Abide by the policies and procedures of Kids Help Phone
- Maintain donor and Kids Help Phone confidentiality and privacy at all times
- Perform other duties as assigned in order to meet the overall goals and objectives of the Organization
- Operate within the culture and core values of the organization
- Maintain knowledge and expertise in relevant fields
Ideal Candidate Profile
Our successful candidate will be a self-motivated individual with a history of success in corporate fundraising. Reporting to the AVP, Philanthropy & Partnerships, the SDO, Corporate Partnerships, will be a key member a high-performing team supporting the ambitious fundraising goals of Kids Help Phone. The incoming SDO, Corporate Partnerships will be responsible for soliciting and securing gifts from corporations that will enable current youth mental health services, resources, fuel innovation and thought leadership, and data analytics.
S/he will be responsible for proactively managing a pipeline of 120 prospective donors in all stages of the development cycle. Working closely with senior volunteers, the corporate development team and colleagues across the organization, the successful candidate will develop and implement cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies that provide prospective donors with meaningful opportunities to impact the cause of youth mental health with Kids Help Phone.
S/he will be/possess:
- A University degree and more than six years of fundraising experience preferably in corporate development and preferably with a large, national, not-for-profit organization. A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered
- Experienced in a large campaign environment (preferred)
- Demonstrated experience closing gifts of six and seven figures
- A flexible team player able to collaborate with and inspire colleagues and senior volunteers
- Extremely effective interpersonal skills with a professional presence and manner, and capable of exercising independent judgment, initiative and flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, entrepreneurially, works proactively, and manages competing priorities in a complex environment
- Excellent organization, planning and time management skills with exacting attention to detail
- Superb critical and analytical thinking, decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to write effectively and persuasively (specifically need to know what goes into writing a good ‘ask’)
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office software applications and demonstrated knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or equivalent.
- Committed to ongoing professional development, a CFRE designation is encouraged
- Ability to work in French is an asset
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends
If you are someone who is looking for an outstanding challenge, working with a great team for a very important, uniquely focused and successful organization then what are you waiting for? Apply now by emailing Hilary Fisher (email@example.com). Please include your CV and Cover Letter. The application deadline is November 12, 2018. Only qualified applicants will be contacted.