Posted On: 2018-10-18
Closing On: 2018-11-23
Effective: January 2019
Employment Type: Full-Time
Organization: Sunnybrook Foundation
Role: Multiple Roles – 2 Advancement Officers
Reports to: Manager, Advancement, Christine McKernan
Location: 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto
Is this you?
Are you a customer service focused, relationship building individual who has a passion for health care? Are you comfortable working with a myriad of cross-functional stakeholders from physicians to donors with a common goal? Are you independent, curious, intelligent and do you possess high emotional intelligence?
Are you a team-oriented problem solver who isn’t afraid to dive into the details? You are known among your peers as a consummate professional, able to tactfully manage complex situations and can motivate and inspire colleagues and volunteers in a complex setting.
You would humbly describe yourself as an excellent communicator, both verbally and written. You are fearless in your pursuit of closing gifts, but strategic, methodical, respectful and process oriented at the same time.
Are you a resilient self-starter, who values innovation and are not afraid of a challenge? Would you be excited about the opportunity to fundraise for a premier academic health sciences centre, fully affiliated with the University of Toronto, with a vision to invent the future of health care?
If the above sounds like you and you’re excited, please read on…
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
From its beginnings as a hospital for Canadian veterans, Sunnybrook has flourished into a fully affiliated teaching hospital with the University of Toronto, evolving to meet the needs of the growing community. Today, with 1.3 million patient visits each year, Sunnybrook has established itself across three campuses and is home to Canada’s largest trauma centre.
Sunnybrook’s five strategic priorities are:
- Heart and Vascular
- High risk maternal and newborn
- Image-guided brain therapies
Sunnybrook Foundation exists to support the advancement of the world-class health sciences centre, through active fundraising in support of research, education and equipment initiatives at Sunnybrook.
The Foundation’s mission is to secure financial contributions that enable the hospital to care for the patients and their families when it matters most.
We are looking for two Advancement Officers to join the Advancement Team at Sunnybrook Foundation. Each Officer will report into the Manager, Advancement. They will each manage a portfolio of 100-120 engaged prospects and donors and will work to secure financial support for Hospital priority projects and initiatives, while providing critical support to volunteers and hospital partners. The hospital recently released their new strategic priorities, resulting in the Foundation reflecting and adjusting the way they approach portfolios and donor philanthropy.
The ideal candidate(s) will be a highly collaborative fundraising professional(s) who welcome hospital partnership and engagement. The Advancement Officer(s) will have strong organizational skills and excellent follow through and will enjoy interacting with physicians, staff and grateful patients. They will be accountable toward a personal revenue target commensurate with their experience and portfolio, contributing to the overall annual advancement team goal.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Meet or exceed established targets for revenue and activity, and manage a portfolio of 100-120 major gift prospects, donors and volunteers
- Work in partnership with hospital stakeholders (physicians, allied health and operations) to establish trust, understand strategic priorities and develop initiatives that directly contribute to securing philanthropic support
- Develop and implement strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a range of individual and corporate major gift donors
- Maintain accuracy of all active donor files including all related donor record administration, briefing notes, and contact reports
- Work with hospital staff and physicians to identify grateful patients and build a prospective donor pipeline
- When appropriate, work closely with colleagues to assist with the strategic development and execution of cultivation and stewardship events and/or marketing initiatives to maximize donor engagement and advancement opportunities
- Work with the Manager, Advancement to achieve annual performance metrics
- Develop major gift strategies and execute including cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Collaborate with internal Foundation colleagues to develop donor proposals, gift agreements, and stewardship reports
Ideal Candidate Profile
Our successful candidate(s) will possess strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, high emotional intelligence and a high level of professionalism. They will be able to easily pivot from speaking to an expert physician to an individual donor, to an internal team member. They will be known for their relationship building ability and their passion for philanthropy. They will possess a high level of intellectual curiosity toward the work being done at the hospital.
The successful candidate(s) will be supporting the priorities of the hospital. They will need to be an entrepreneurial self-starter with a high level of innovative thinking. The successful candidate(s) will be a calculated risk-taker, who is comfortable with ambiguity and trying “never-been-done-before” strategies.
The successful candidate will possess/be:
- Proven ability to work well with a wide range of constituents, including volunteers, donors and program staff
- Demonstrated skills in problem-solving, analysis, political navigation and professionalism
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize a diverse workload
- Ability to function as a member of a team to fulfill the team’s responsibilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both verbal and written
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge is an asset
- Minimum college or university degree or equivalent
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in major gift fundraising with director donor and/or volunteer contact
- Working knowledge of MS Office suite software including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
If you are someone who is looking for an outstanding challenge, working with a great team for a much-loved Toronto healthcare institution, then what are you waiting for? Please email a Cover Letter along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to Hilary Fisher. Please note only qualified candidates will be contacted. Applications will be accepted until November 23, 2018.