Organization: Canadian Red Cross
Title: Manager, Major Gifts
Reports to: Angela Kretz, Senior Manager, Major Gifts
Location: 21 Randolph Avenue, Toronto ON
Is this you?
Do you enjoy soliciting and closing major gifts? Do you have a track record in securing major gifts at the $10,000 and above level from individuals and family foundations? Would your peers describe you as mature, positive, articulate, a team player whose genuine and sincere? Are you thoughtful, collaborative and strategic? Have you applied strategic thinking to successfully grow a major gifts program? Are you comfortable operating within a complex organizational structure and working cross-functionally with peers across Canada?
Are you an exceptional communicator both written and verbal? Do you consider yourself a ‘donor first’ fundraiser, with relationships at the centre of everything you do?
Do you want to join forces with a group of people that are passionate about improving the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity in Canada and around the world? Do you want to be part of a high performance, results driven team, working with colleagues who are both collegial and have high expectations while sharing your passion for the cause? If this sounds like you, please read on…
The mission of The Canadian Red Cross is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity in Canada and around the world.
The Canadian Red Cross Society is part of the largest humanitarian network in the world: The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. This network includes the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (Federation) and 190 National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies dedicated to improving the situation of the most vulnerable throughout the world.
The Canadian Red Cross is the leading humanitarian organization through which people voluntarily demonstrate their caring for others in need. Their actions and decisions are based upon:
- Humanitarian values, as expressed in their Fundamental Principles
- Respect, dignity and inclusiveness
- Integrity, accountability, effectiveness, transparency & adaptability
- Quality and safety
In 1965, the seven Fundamental Principles were adopted by the 20th International Conference. They were developed to link together the International Committee, Federation and National Societies. The Red Cross’ network is vast, but their approach is simple. All Red Cross programs and activities are guided by the Fundamental Principles of Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. These principles allow them to provide help immediately to whoever needs it, wherever they are, whatever their race, political beliefs, religion, social status, or culture.
In this newly created position, reporting to the Senior Manager, Major Giving, the successful candidate will work as a member of the national Philanthropy team and will secure philanthropic commitments from a portfolio of individual and family foundation donors at the $10,000 and greater gift level. Their portfolio will be focused on Ontario donors and they will inherit an existing pipeline. They will be expected to work with their peers across Canada to share best practices and collaborate on the Major Giving strategy for the Canadian Red Cross.
The successful candidate will be a frontline fundraiser and will be expected to steward and engage their portfolio of prospects and existing donors, applying moves management strategies to ultimately grow the capacity of their donor pipeline. They will be mature, confident, collaborative and fundamentally love working with donors and volunteers. S/he will be expected to travel on occasion, they will need a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle. A CFRE designation is considered an asset.
- Develops and manages a portfolio of individuals and family foundation donors
- Demonstrates a high level of personal contact with major giving donors
- Cultivates relationships and moves donor through all stages of the donor cycle
- Develops detailed cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and execute plans for each major donor prospect
- Prepares proposals and presents cases for support on key priority areas
- Supports senior leadership, executives and volunteers in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major donors
- Works closely with Prospect Research and Major Giving Philanthropy team to identify prospects through activities such as database mining and prospect identification
- Utilizes Raiser’s Edge to capture moves management information
- Maintains current knowledge of giving trends
- Manages and engages leadership volunteers to support the Major Giving Program
- Works collaboratively with Philanthropy team to identify and determine leadership potential of prospective volunteers
- Supports strategy for volunteer recruitment and engagement
- Supports the recognition of volunteers in collaboration with Philanthropy team in alignment with Volunteer Resources guidelines
- Ensures effectiveness and tracking of Major Giving activity
- Collaborates with team to execute Major Giving Program for individuals and family foundations
- Works with direct report to develop and implement annual Business and Revenue plans
- Monitors progress of annual goals and adjusts as needed to ensure success
- Contributes to the effectiveness of Major Giving activity including regular monthly and quarterly reporting of key activity and financial indicators
- Manages communications with major donors during times of disasters to share information and gain support
- Integrates volunteer resources within the job’s scope of responsibility
- Follows all policies and procedures as required to maintain a healthy and safe working environment
- Adheres to implemented strategies to support social justice and diversity, in accordance with Society policies and procedures
- Performs other duties as required and maintains an element of confidentiality that is aligned with the Canadian Red Cross
- S/he is a proud ambassador to the Canadian Red Cross, representing professionalism at all times
The Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate will be mature, genuine, articulate with a love of, and a successful track record in, soliciting and closing major gifts. They will be a passionate advocate for the mission of the Canadian Red Cross and will approach their work with a high level of professionalism, polish, and importantly, a sense of fun!
- A university degree or college diploma in business administration, marketing or fundraising management is an asset
- Five + years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong communication (written and oral), interpersonal and organization skills
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge database is preferable
- Travel throughout the community and province is a regular part of the job
- Current driver’s license and use of a car is required. Will be required to work non-traditional hours to meet the needs of volunteers and during times of a disaster appeals.
If you are looking for an outstanding challenge, working with a great leader for a very important cause and a uniquely focused opportunity, then what are you waiting for? Please apply by emailing Hilary Fisher (email@example.com) a copy of your CV along with your covering letter explaining why you’d be an ideal candidate for this role based on the above requirements. Please note only qualified candidates will be considered. Close date: November 30, 2018.