Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation
Development Associate, Major Gifts
The Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation raises funds for research, education and the enhancement of patient care at Toronto General Hospital and Toronto Western Hospital as well as their respective research arms, Krembil Research Institute and Toronto General Research Institute. The Hospitals and the Research Institutes are members of University Health Network, which also includes Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, the Toronto Rehab Institute, and The Michener Institute. University Health Network (UHN) is a major landmark in Canada´s healthcare system and a teaching hospital of the University of Toronto. Building on the strengths of this remarkable Hospital network, the organization brings together the talent and resources that make it an international leader in healthcare. The Foundation´s vision and mission is to enable global leadership and innovation in health by developing strong relationships with University Health Network stakeholders. Our Values are excellence, integrity, accountability, collaboration and donor-centered.
The Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation is currently seeking 2 Development Associates to join the Major Gifts team.
- The incumbent will provide administrative leadership and strategic fundraising support as a crucial team member of the Campaign to Cure Arthritis that is raising $100M to fund a world-first research program that addresses the arthritis health care crisis. The goal is to revolutionize arthritis care by finding a way to diagnose the disease early, create patient-centric models of care and develop personalized treatments including new injectable therapies.
- The incumbent will provide administrative leadership and strategic fundraising support to the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre (PMCC) Campaign. They will be part of the successful development and implementation of significant major gift fundraising within the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre.
Both incumbents will have the opportunity to work actively with campaign volunteers and Board Champions. The Development Associates will focus on assisting in raising funds from major and planned gifts prospects/donors primarily at the $100,000+ to $1M+ level and support all aspects of project management of the Campaigns. Relationship building skills are a key element to success in this role.
In addition, the Development Associates will be called on to assist others on the Major Gifts team as well as other colleagues in the Foundation from time to time and must possess the ability to work as active team members, while remaining cognizant of their primary roles. The successful candidates will be mature, energetic, versatile individuals who can manage multiple priorities in a busy campaign office. The successful candidates enjoy the challenge of working in a vigorous, successful fundraising environment with responsibility for a wide range of assigned duties and projects. The incumbents will require strong administrative, multi-tasking and organizational skills to track and complete assigned development activities and prospect/donor information and have demonstrated experience in related fundraising roles and a strong interest in the major gifts field.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the Communications department to coordinate complex materials including but not limited to correspondence, speaking and meeting notes, strategic briefs, proposals and reports
- Liaise with physicians and other medical staff in the preparation of proposals and impact reports
- Create and coordinate strategic cultivation and stewardship plans
- Cultivate and steward donors
- Arrange complex meetings, tours and hospitality
- Manage calendars and schedules
- Update and retrieve donor information files/database records
- Respond to internal and external requests for information
- Provide support at functions for cultivation, fundraising and stewardship
- Prepare documentation for gift processing
- Prepare documentation to establish donor funds
- Other duties consistent with job classification
- University degree or equivalent experience
- 2+ years or more within a charitable/not-for-profit organization
- Experience in a large, complex not-for-profit healthcare organization, and/or in a Major Gifts capacity, is a definite asset
- Deadline- and results-oriented, with excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Exceptional relationship building skills
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Evidence of leadership and initiative, tact, diplomacy and creativity
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues and volunteers
- Ability to work in a hectic and results-oriented environment
- Computer literacy: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), database software and spreadsheet programs; familiarity with Raiser´s Edge a significant asset
- Interest in the Major Gifts process
Direct: Senior Campaign Director, Campaign to Cure Arthritis / Senior Campaign Director, Peter Munk Cardiac Centre
Indirect: Vice President, Major Gifts, Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation
- Busy, service and results oriented environment. Some activity outside the office in meetings with prospects and volunteers.
- Regular daily hours of work with occasional evenings.
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues in all positions throughout the Foundation.
- Shared commitment and support of the overall Foundation goals.
Interested candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to:
Development Associate, Major Gifts
Closing Date: Friday, November 16th
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. UHN has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.