COMMUNITY RELATIONS COORDINATOR
Closing Date: Ongoing until a suitable candidate is found
If you have a passion for social justice, believe that hunger and poverty are unacceptable conditions in any community, and are a highly motivated and strategic community-minded professional, you may be the person Hamilton Food Share is looking for to become its COMMUNITY RELATIONS COORDINATOR.
Reporting to the Resource Development Manager (RDM), the Community Relations Coordinator (CRC) will act as the liaison in the identification, cultivation and solicitation of third-party events and community events while increasing Hamilton Food Share’s profile. The CRC will monitor, develop, coordinate and support all aspects of third party and community event initiatives including some public speaking and photography. This includes building and maximizing the organization’s funding, food, and volunteer resources by working across all community sectors in the Greater Hamilton area.
The Community Relations Coordinator also plans and executes social and digital media communications to support public outreach activities of HFS with an emphasis on building brand and mission awareness amongst the public with an affinity for our work.
- Act as the primary liaison for all HFS third party and community events including established events and inquiries for new events.
- Research, identify and develop new events and community fundraising event partners, including devising creative new ideas for potential events.
- Attend and speak at events as required.
- Build relationships with event donors and provide regular communication on the impact of their fundraising dollars.
- Identify and develop strategic key volunteers to optimize events.
- Ensure social media coverage of each event and engagement of third-party event stakeholders.
- Optimize HFS’s social and digital communications strategy ensuring that messaging is consistent with HFS’s mission.
- Communications and marketing tasks including writing, electronic and print communication production, photography, video, and social media.
- Call activity reports, work plans, and a wide range of administrative activities including picking up occasional food donations, answering phones, handwritten notes, and working as part of a team to assist with mail outs.
- Fundraising and stewardship communications including but not limited to personal visits, grant writing, correspondence, public speaking, and reporting for a range of audiences including individuals, companies, service clubs, schools, foundations, and community groups.
- Participate in redeveloping an organizational-wide volunteer engagement program.
- Provide support to the Resource Development Manager, as required.
The candidate who will fit best offers:
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Relevant education or professional designation in communications, public relations, marketing, or fundraising.
- Two or more years of experience in communications, public relations, marketing, or fundraising.
- Experience in third party and community fundraising coordination in the not for profit sector.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Working knowledge of database systems and their functions.
- Experience with recruiting, training, leading, and supervising volunteers.
- Generalist public relations and fundraising communications in a not for profit environment
- Event planning & promotions
- Volunteer engagement strategies for small organizations
- Basic understanding of fundraising principals including CRA guidelines and the Donor Bill of Rights
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Manage Relationships: ability to grow and sustain productive and meaningful long-term internal and external relationships. Ability to encourage generosity with a wide range of individuals and organizations.
- Creative and Innovative: able to adapt quickly to ever changing environments, assess possibilities as well as risks and seize new opportunities to enhance the work of Hamilton Food Share.
- Communications and Social Media: demonstrated success with digital and Social Media tools such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and others. Take excellent photos and video, design materials and maintain consistent messaging across print publications, web, social media, etc.
- Communication Skills: ability to write and speak English with strong writing and editorial abilities.
- Extremely Organized: able to plan, think strategically with strong time management skills; able to juggle competing priorities, meet deadlines, and manage projects.
- Computer Literacy in Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word), database and/or fundraising software (e.g. Raiser’s Edge and WordPress a definite asset), e-newsletter such as A Weber and the ability to learn quickly.
- Data Management: ability to support data-driven decision making by entering all contacts as well as tracking and analyzing activities.
- Achieve Results: is personally accountable for their work.
- Knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the Not for Profit sector’s contribution to the community.
- Action-oriented, able to work in a fast-paced, results-based environment.
- Friendly and cooperative with a “can-do” attitude.
- Strong personal ethics and the ability to protect privacy.
- Active contributor to a healthy and respectful workplace environment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, clean driving abstract, appropriate vehicle insurance and must have the use of a reliable vehicle as frequent travel occurs throughout the Greater Hamilton area.
- A current Police Vulnerable Sector Check is a condition of employment.
- Occasional lifting of boxes and other materials.
- Regular work hours are Monday through Friday. Hours can be irregular with frequent evening and weekend event attendance.
SALARY and BENEFITS
This is a regular full-time position. Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience. An excellent benefit package is included.
We acknowledge receipt of all applications but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume (electronically only and preferably as a single PDF document) to: email@example.com.
This employer embraces diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply.