Philanthropy Communications Specialist
Join Canada’s lifeline!
Be part of a dynamic, innovative, collaborative, diverse and caring organization committed to saving and improving the lives of Canadians. We are the connection between the sincere generosity of donors, and the heartfelt appreciation of recipients. Thousands of Canadians depend on our programs every day for reliable access to safe blood, plasma, stem cells, organs and tissues.
Are you ready to embark on a meaningful and inspiring journey, where what you do matters? Be part of Canada’s lifeline. Because we can all be the reason, the connection, that keeps Canadians living.
We are currently seeking a Philanthropy Communications Specialist to join our Public Affairs team at the Ottawa or Toronto office on a temporary basis, until November 2019.
In this role you will be responsible for the development, implementation and monitoring of communications for the philanthropy department within the public affairs division, by providing communications plans and support to a variety of philanthropic programs. You will be responsible for developing creative content that helps the philanthropy department execute Canadian Blood Services’ business goals and become effective brand ambassadors for the organization. You will be responsible for communications with financial donors, external stakeholders and prospects, as well as pertaining to employee engagement and executive communications.You will participate in annual strategic planning to support fundraising activities, and play an important role in the creation of materials that support national and regional philanthropic efforts. You will be an inspired storyteller who can make complex scientific information compelling, impactful and applicable in a wide variety of donor-centric fundraising materials. You will offer communications expertise based on a solid knowledge of current fundraising trends, recognizing the importance of conveying the impact of financial support to Canadian Blood Services for internal and external audiences.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and implement communications plans that enable the public affairs division to deliver on fundraising strategies, tactics and content. By understanding the communications components of a compelling case for support and creating collateral needed to engage current and potential financial donors you clearly illustrate the impact of financial gifts.
- Plan and implement communications activities that help all employees understand how fundraising goals support Canadian Blood Services’ strategy.
- Formulate and write a compelling case for support that highlights the impact of philanthropic and financial contributions to the organization.
- Collaborate with colleagues in the communications department and across the public affairs division to articulate, review, and ensure quality control of all fundraising-related content to ensure it aligns and adheres to corporate positioning and priorities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Post-secondary education in a relevant discipline from a recognized academic institution is essential, preferably in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or Marketing.
- 5 years of communications-related experience within a donor-centric fundraising environment; minimum of 3 years’ experience.
- Development of a compelling case for support as an essential foundation for fundraising programs.
- Working and collaborating effectively with colleagues from different departments and backgrounds.
- Planning and implementation of communications including analysis and reporting on outcomes.
- Production of speeches, videos, content workflow, publication management processes, as well as brand and graphic design standards.
- Synthesis of complex information and creation of content that is relevant, engaging and clear to target audiences.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Excellent understanding of brand journalism and storytelling.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and donor stewardship through communications vehicles.
- Strong knowledge about importance of content workflow and publication management processes.
- Excellent knowledge about the principles, methods and techniques of graphic design, and its role in communications and various channels.
Technical skills (minimum):
- Strong knowledge of MS PowerPoint and MS Word.
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop (other Adobe CS6 products preferred).
- Strong knowledge of content management software and tools.