Organization: Humber College
Title: Manager, Advancement Communications
Reports to: Director, Advancement Services, Ruth Godinho
Direct reports: Two, to be hired in 2019
Location: 205 Humber College Blvd (401 & 427)
Is this you?
Would you be passionate about working for one of Canada’s most beloved and well-respected educational institutions?
Do you have experience in the not for profit sector working within an advancement communications capacity supporting the fundraising efforts of your organization? Do you have a well-earned reputation as being highly detailed with your finger on the pulse of communication and media trends, including digital? Do you consider yourself a collaborator and are you well respected among your peers and colleagues?
Would your current or previous manager describe you as an expert writer with exceptional editing skills? Are you passionate about the power of philanthropy and would you be proud to assist in building a culture of philanthropy at one of Canada’s most beloved institutions through the implementation of strategic communications plans?
Have you managed multiple communications projects and acted as principal writer for all internal and external documentation? Are you exceptionally detail-oriented and a chameleon when it comes to producing content to fit audience and context?
Do you want to work with a team of people who are passionate about their mission and who are some of the best and brightest in the sector?
If so, read on…
Established in 1967, Humber is one of Canada’s leading postsecondary institutions. Committed to student success through excellence in teaching and learning, Humber serves 29,800 full-time students and 23,000-part time and continuing education students. With an internationally recognized reputation for quality learning, Humber offers a wide-range of career-focused opportunities for students to personalize their educational path, including 180 full-time programs across more than 40 fields of study, 200 part-time and 400 online programs or courses. More than four out of five Humber graduates are employed within six months of completing their studies. Advancement and Alumni is a dedicated team of professionals raising financial resources
and engaging alumni to help advance Humber College’s mission, vision and priorities. With over 220,000 graduates contributing to a vibrant and meaningful alumni community, as well as individuals, corporations and foundations investing in the College, the department works to inspire and cultivate meaningful engagement and philanthropic support to ensure that Humber students will be well-positioned for success having the resources they need to achieve their academic, career and personal goals.
Reporting to the Director, Advancement Services the Manager, Advancement Communications will develop, manage and implement proactive communications plans and strategies that raise awareness of all the College’s fundraising efforts particularly with activities related to major gifts and campaigns; corporate sponsorship and events; social and electronic media; and donor stewardship. This position will be responsible for carrying out a wide variety of communications tasks for external and internal print and electronic projects.
The successful candidate will serve as the principal writer for the office of Advancement and Alumni. They will work closely with cross functional colleagues to obtain necessary information to produce written fundraising materials. They will also be responsible for the production, packaging, and formatting of materials created and will serve as the the main contact with external partners and suppliers with the respect to the production, design and completion of written documents.
They will be the sole project manager and editor for print and electronic projects, including funding proposals and grant applications; acknowledgement letters, invitation copy, memos; stewardship and progress reports; newsletters, brochures and website content; speeches and remarks; cases for support and campaign materials; agendas, meeting materials and presentations. Their team will eventually expand to include two direct reports in 2019 to support the day to day function.
The successful candidate will have excellent writing, editing, proofreading, and analytical skills and be able to communicate in a clear, compelling and persuasive manner. Our successful candidate will be self- motivated, detail-oriented, highly organized, and will be able to synthesize information and communicate in a succinct fashion. The ability to easily change writing styles to fit the audience, context and voice of the piece is crucial.
- Write compelling cases for support, personalized funding proposals, campaign materials, presentations, project descriptions, fact sheets brochures and fundraising collateral for presentation to prospects, partners and donors
- Develop written materials to support volunteers and fundraising staff as needed
- Write and oversee the process for major donor thank you letters, renewal correspondence and reminders
- Develop content, write and edit a variety of publications such as donor newsletters, direct mail pieces, web pages, invitation and event copy, memos/messages, and content for digital signage
- Write and prepare customized stewardship and impact reports, and updates for high-level donors and partners
- Prepare briefing notes and write speaking remarks and speeches for senior executives and volunteers for engagements, including but not limited to gift announcements, space dedications, stewardship and fundraising events
- Provide support to staff in the timely writing, submission and on-going follow up of grant proposals to foundations
- Provide writing and editorial expertise; collaborate with staff and organizational leaders, when appropriate, for the development of written materials
- Research and gather information as well as interview staff, key donors, and stakeholders for various written materials
- Participate in strategy development for positioning of written materials
- Prioritize and keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner, meet deadlines and manage supplemental material required to complete writing projects
- Ensure written materials are presented in an appealing and professional manner and play a role in the visual identity of written materials
- Manage, maintain, organize, update and archive written materials
- Project manage the donor communications cycle and lead efforts to establish a regular and engaging calendar of communications for donors
- Maintain a high degree of motivation and superior work ethic consistent with the culture of the college
- Interview and hire production staff in conjunction with the Director of Advancement’s approval to support communication needs
- Delegate, set expectations, and monitor progress of all direct reports
- Make decisions on the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action as well as the use of social/media tools, metrics, techniques, trends and best practices
- Work with key alumni and donors, students engaged in campaigns, as well as peers at other colleges/universities and within the sector
- Work with/engage advancement and alumni staff members across Humber, in relation to story writing, articles, the alumni magazine, e-newsletters, interviews, briefings, press releases, speaking notes etc.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our successful candidate will have experience writing in a non-profit environment with a focus on writing for fundraising purposes. They will ideally have experience working in a highly matrixed environment (i.e. a hospital foundation or another education institution). They will be a team player, who is highly collaborative and have a deep passion for philanthropy. They will be an excellent communicator, both written and verbal and will bring creative ideas.
In addition, our successful candidate will possess/be:
- Expert writing/editing skills with the ability to create a wide range of documentation from proposals to website content
- 5 to 7 years of progressive professional experience as a Communications Specialist in a not-for-profit environment with a focus on writing for fundraising, particularly in developing, writing and designing proposals, grants, case statements, donor correspondence and stewardship reports
- Fundraising exposure within the charitable sector
- A supportive professional with an amiable spirit
- Complex decision-making abilities in all the areas identified under key tasks.
- Negotiation skills particularly with colleagues and stakeholders
- University or college degree in English, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related discipline.
- Nice to have: Technical experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Final Cut etc.), social media management tools, web management/development tools (Google Analytics, HTML Coding etc.) email marketing tools (MailChimp)
If you are someone who is looking for an outstanding challenge while working with a great team, then what are you waiting for? Apply now by emailing your cover letter and resume and a sample of your work to Hilary Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note only qualified candidates will be contacted. Applications due by January 14, 2018.