Posted On: 2019-01-03
Closing On: 2019-02-03
Employment Type: Full-Time
Since 1856 Reform Judaism has grown and thrived in Canada. Today, the Canadian Reform Movement, under the auspices of the Canadian Council for Reform Judaism (CCRJ), includes 25 Reform Congregations from Montreal to Victoria, over 30,000 affiliated members and a vibrant Reform Jewish camp, Camp George. Since its founding in 1999, the Union for Reform Judaism’s Camp George has developed a reputation for excellence in the Canadian community and beyond.
URJ Camp George, located near Parry Sound, Ontario, seeks a dynamic, experienced and ambitious professional to become our Director of Development. The Director of Development, based in Toronto, will be responsible for implementing the Camp’s multi-faceted development program, with the objective of significantly increasing the amount of donor-derived income the camp receives as well as raising money to support other initiatives that are part of the Canadian Reform Movement’s priorities. The Director of Development will report directly to the Camp Director and will work closely with the camp’s lay leadership, the lay leadership team of the Canadian Reform Movement and the URJ’s Development department.
Oversee and manage fundraising:
- Develop the “road map” for all fundraising programs in consultation with camp leadership, professional and lay
- Work closely with lay leadership and Camp Director, directing and managing their participation in development efforts
- Coordinate all communications and public relations for the camp’s fundraising efforts
- Plan, organize and help implement all fundraising activities which may include special events, meetings, direct mail, email campaigns, cultivation visits, solicitation visits, etc.
- Coordinate and/or implement the solicitation of major donors
- Maintain and build existing granting foundation relationships and identify new opportunities for partnership and/or support
- Write, edit and/or submit grant proposals and reports as needed
- Work with the Development team to plan summer visitation programs/other special events
- Oversee donor engagement with philanthropists in the broader Canadian Reform Movement that support the goals of the Canadian and larger North American movement
- Coordinate broader Canadian Reform Movement development efforts with the staff of the CCRJ, CCRJ’s lay leadership and the URJ Development department
- Meet fundraising goals within proscribed periods of time
Donor data management:
- Oversee management of the donor database, making sure all donations are entered and acknowledged properly (in consultation with the Finance team)
- Responsible for data mining, seeking to learn as much as possible about prospective donors, especially Camp Alumni, for prospecting purposes.
- Serve as a member of the Camp’s year-round leadership team, providing wisdom, support and assistance to the year-round work of the Camp in all areas
- Work with other professionals on the Camp and CCRJ team to support alumni outreach and activities where any connections and/or overlap with development could occur
- Serve as a member of the URJ Camping System’s development team, and its international staffing team. Whenever possible, provide support and assistance to North American efforts and initiatives of the URJ Camping System, the CCRJ, and the URJ in general, and play an active, visible role on the regional and North American scene.
- Participate in ongoing professional development opportunities and conferences as necessary (JCamp 180, URJ Conferences, etc.)
- At minimum, a Bachelor’s degree
- 5 to 7 years of development experience with proven ability to cultivate and close individual gifts
- Familiarity with Reform Judaism, a meaningful understanding of Jewish camping and fundraising in Canada is strongly preferred
- Ability to work independently and proactively
- Ability to write reports, proposals and other general correspondence and documents
- Ability to comfortably and capably speak to individuals and groups, both formally and informally
- Ability to meet established fundraising goals
- Knowledge of fundraising databases and advanced skills in Excel is required
- Travel required throughout the year; flexibility during summer to spend extended time at Camp during the summer
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to the Human Resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
For more information about URJ Camp George, please visit: http://george.urjcamps.org/