Posted On: 2019-01-09
Closing On: 2019-01-25
Employment Type: Full-Time
About Pathways to Education Canada
Pathways to Education is a national, charitable organization breaking the cycle of poverty through education. Its award-winning program is creating positive social change by supporting youth living in low-income communities to overcome barriers to education, graduate from high school, and build the foundation for a successful future. Through the collective power of partnerships, Pathways to Education’s innovative program is preparing youth for tomorrow.
The Opportunity: Development Officer, Individual Philanthropy
Under the supervision of the Director, Individual Philanthropy, the Development Officer will contribute to Pathways to Education’s revenue goals by both leading and assisting with cultivating, soliciting, securing support from, and stewarding individuals and private foundations across Canada. The position also supports the Director, Individual Philanthropy with all facets involved with the development and maintenance of major-gift relationships.
The incumbent requires a keen interest in and affinity for individual fundraising, an analytical focus, and the ability to work simultaneously on a variety of complex projects with tight deadlines. A strong work ethic, positive outlook, and a sense of humour are definite assets.
- Manage and grow major-gift portfolio; independently cultivate, solicit, and steward new and existing individual prospects/donors, contributing to the development of a strong major-gift pipeline
- Contribute to Pathways’ major-gift strategy (prospects/donors with annual gifts in the range of $10K - $50K) and revenue targets with a focus on acquisition through prospect qualification and cultivation
- Make regular contact (donor-focused activity) with donors/prospects to set up high-probability requests; regularly perform introductory calls and follow-up activities with prospective donors
- Provide administrative and logistical support to develop and maintain relationships with key donors and prospects through planning and implementation of cultivation and stewardship strategies
- With the support of Pathways Marketing and Communications department, prepare and present proposals and grant submissions to individuals and foundations that are compelling, accurate and professional
- Perform regular prospect identification and clearance to ensure the best possible approach is developed
- Ensure that notes from all donor and prospect engagement calls, emails, gifts, meetings and events are entered into Raiser’s Edge in a timely and accurate fashion
- Support the Director, Individual Philanthropy with Raiser’s Edge entry as required
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum of four years of fundraising experience, including at least one year in major gift fundraising;
- Related post-secondary education or demonstrated equivalent experience;
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills and demonstrated success at persuasive writing;
- Ability to think strategically, work independently, and manage competing priorities in a high- volume and results oriented environment;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills, with the capacity to communicate at all levels with confidence;
- Excellent organization and exacting attention to detail;
- Comfort with uncertainty and a bias toward action;
- Acts as a positive influence throughout the organization, fostering a commitment to teamwork and building a climate of professionalism, openness, and communication;
- Advanced level of proficiency in MS Office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends, some travel may be required.
Interested candidates should submit both a resume and a cover letter outlining their interest and fit with the role by January 25, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pathways Canada thanks all applicants for their interest. Due to volume, only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Pathways to Education Canada is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.