Posted On: 2019-01-10
Closing On: 2019-02-10
Employment Type: Full-Time
CAMH is Canada’s largest hospital specializing in mental illness and addictions, and one of the world’s leading academic health science centres in the field. By delivering leading-edge treatment, driving research, creating knowledge and advocating nationally, CAMH seeks to inspire a movement for change to ensure any person living with mental illness is restored to fullness of life.
CAMH Foundation is charged with raising and stewarding funds that will enable CAMH to achieve its aspirations and helping to fuel the movement for change.
The overall role and responsibility of the Senior Grants Officer is to administer and manage the full cycle of grants, from inception to closure, ensuring grants to CAMH and external qualified donees are compliant with donor restrictions and aligned with CAMH’s strategic mission, direction and funding priorities. This position reports to the Director of Finance.
The incumbent will have a critical role in working with Development staff to identify issues that can be addressed by collaboration earlier in the fundraising cycle and help to improve their overall understanding of the granting process. The incumbent will also ensure the effective use of designated funds in conjunction with the Finance department. Lastly, the Senior Grants Officer will monitor grants in progress and escalate to the appropriate parties when projects are not progressing as planned.
Grant Management and Compliance
- Serves as principle point of contact on grant management and compliance issues with grantees, CAMH Finance, Foundation Development, Donor Relations and Finance staff.
- Ensures grant agreements and amendments are developed, reviewed and approved in a timely manner and in accordance with Foundation requirements and established procedures.
- Ensures grant commitments do not exceed the available funding.
- Managing risk and monitoring related to projects relying on pledged or yet to be raised funds.
- Closely monitors utilization of funds and grant balances.
- Responds to financial information requests related to grant agreements, budgets and spending.
- Takes the lead in monitoring grant expirations and closures, engaging both grantees and Finance staff in advance of expiry dates and advising on potential issues.
- Create grant files that meet auditing and Foundation requirements.
- Develops and writes grantee guidelines and FAQ’s.
- Maintains a wide range of professional relationships to ensure high quality grants administration across programs.
- Monitors the delivery of grants and escalates as necessary projects that are off track with spending plans and/or delivery of expected outcomes.
Financial Management and Analysis
- Provides support to the Development team during proposal development and gift negotiations.
- Reviews and approves/recommends for approval of donor proposal budgets and proposed existing funding to ensure all project costs are captured, reasonable and use of existing funds is appropriate.
- Working with the Analyst, Funds and Granting, processes quarterly grant invoices received ensuing Foundation requirements are adhered to and appropriate supporting documentation is provided.
- Ensures timely resolution of any billing issues that arise by working with grantees and CAMH Finance.
- Identify gaps and related solutions including differences between donor restrictions and internal policies and procedures, include cost allocation.
- Prepare and implement training as needed to address capacity needs and reinforce grant management e.g. financial management, budget analysis, policies and procedures.
- Serves as process owner related to creation of grants, monitoring and reporting on granting activities.
- Supports the content of the joint CAMH/CAMHF Sharepoint site. Actively involved in the evolution of this application and the design of future enhancements.
- Provides input on controls related to proposals and grants.
- Work as a team player of CAMH and an ambassador in representing the Hospital and Foundation.
- Perform other duties as assigned in order to meet the overall goals and objectives of the Foundation.
- Operation within the culture and core values: Make A Difference, Communicate Openly, Be Accountable, Learn and Innovate
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- University degree in Business Administration, Commerce or other equivalent field.
- Project management certification or extended training. Analytical capabilities for structuring projects.
- Strong demonstrated experience in the management of significant, complex, multi-year projects.
- Understanding of basic accounting principles in relation to grants and projects.
- Experience in the philanthropy and non-profit sector or experience in an academic, healthcare or research organization.
- Demonstrated excellence organizing and prioritizing workflow in a high volume environment.
- Demonstrated experience formulating and implementing policies and procedures.
- Experience providing exceptional customer service to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strong verbal and communication skills especially communicating technical material in a clear, objective and respectful manner.
- Highly computer literate, excel and MS Office.
- Discretion dealing with confidential information.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please enter “Response to HR Senior Grants Officer” in the subject line of your email.
Closing Date: February 10, 2019
CAMH Foundation thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. CAMH has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.