About Raising The Village
Raising The Village works directly with “last mile” villages in Uganda – the poorest and furthest villages and regions. RTV partners with communities to identify ways to increase livelihoods and reduce barriers to income generation in order to raise the income & consumption levels of entire villages out of poverty. Currently, with 4 offices and over 40 staff in Uganda, RTV is scaling to work at a regional, and potentially a national level in Uganda. Founded in 2012, the organization introduced a dynamic cluster approach allowing the organization to scale. In 2018, we directly impacted over 52,000 beneficiaries. As a result of significant success in development of new Foundation Partnerships throughout the US, Europe and Canada, RTV is on pace to significantly expands its reach.
As a rapidly growing organization with a budget approaching $2 million, we are seeking an experienced and motivated Development Associate as our first fundraising hire to work closely with the Managing Director and other senior leaders. The Development Associate will play a key role in accelerating our growth, helping us to secure the funds needed to continue to expand the depth and breadth of our programs across Uganda and potentially beyond!
This is a dynamic and exciting opportunity for someone who is motivated and passionate about international development, livelihoods and sub-Saharan Africa. We envision the Associate working in Toronto for two years, with the potential to move to a more senior development role thereafter.
In concert with the Founder and Managing Director, the Development Associate will contribute to our efforts to raise $5+ million over the next three years by: undertaking targeted research of prospective philanthropic partners; assisting in the drafting of proposals, reports and other communications; contributing to creative strategies to steward new and existing individual and foundation donors, and executing necessary and important administrative/support functions. For the right candidate, there may be additional growth opportunities in the not-so-distant future including managing a portfolio of relationships, new business development, public presentations, etc. This is a fantastic opportunity to get in on the ground level and help build a fast-growing social impact organization and a career in international development.
Role and Responsibilities
- Assist the MD in strengthening relationships with current individual and foundation supporters, including:
- Tracking donor interests and needs, and following up with donors where appropriate;
- Writing, revising, and submitting targeted funding proposals, prize applications, letters of intent and concept papers, meeting all deadlines and requirements;
- Cultivating and maintaining strong relationships with donors by ensuring the organization connects regularly through reports, mailings, in-person check-ins, etc.
- Support and develop processes and strategies to grow our fundraising success including strengthening CRM management, donor acknowledgement correspondence, and end of year fundraising appeal, etc.
- Participate in the creation and implementation of a development strategy that includes comprehensive plans to identify new funders/donors, as well as cultivate and steward existing relationships.
- Undertake special development projects, such as assisting with fundraising events and business development opportunities, as needed.
- Maintain and work to an accurate personal work-plan of scheduled fundraising activity and proposal submissions and ensure timely and accurate reporting to donors
- Areas of Potential Growth: Conduct meetings independently with new prospective funders, with an ability to combine program knowledge, hospitality, and active listening to ensure a good experience and appropriate follow up.
Why work at Raising The Village?
- Make the world a better place: RTV is helping move families out of extreme poverty with some of the highest impact in the sector. Our work is significantly improving the lives among the world’s poorest.
- Be part of a rapidly scaling organization: We are growing fast, which means the next few years will be fast-paced and dynamic. You can be a core contributor to scaling this model to millions.
- Build an exciting career and exposure: As the first dedicated fundraiser in a growing organization, there will be ample opportunity for growth and new experiences for someone who is eager and shows the ability to take on more.
- Join a diverse, energetic team of individuals: We work hard, and we have fun doing it. We are looking for someone who can bring his/her own unique energy and personality to our collaborative culture.
- You combine passion and personal connection to our work with analytical skills and attention to detail.
- You have a strong “why” that connects you to our mission, our beneficiaries, and the African continent/the developing world
- You bring at least three years of relevant experience.
- You have excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- You are highly computer proficient; very capable in Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- You are flexible. You are willing to do the necessary administrative and support work, and also comfortable and capable hosting donors, talking to funders, and leading strategic projects.
- You have strong organizational skills.
- You have the ability to communicate a rigorous, yet compelling story about impact whether in research reports or to international funding organizations.
- You have a dedication to social entrepreneurship, international work and livelihoods.
- You are excited and committed to contribute to RTV’s growth for at least two years.
- You work well in a casual, but highly effective team.
Examples of experience that would be useful:
- Several years working for a nonprofit, social venture, or in a fast-paced corporate environment.
- Demonstrated experience prioritizing multiple projects or deliverables in a timely fashion.
- Development or other successful donor/funder-facing experience.
- History of dedicated volunteer activity and/or commitment to non-profit organizations.
- Experience working with writing communications, analyzing reports, and engaging in cross-cultural environments.
- A track record of working successfully both independently and as part of a team.
Please email email@example.com with ‘Development Associate’ in the subject line. Your email should contain an optimized single PDF containing your CV & cover letter.
Raising The Village offers a competitive salary with excellent workplace flexibility and is an equal opportunity employer.