About The Learning Partnership
The Learning Partnership (TLP) is a Canadian charity that prepares students to thrive in a diverse, connected and changing world.
To thrive in this world, students must learn to be critical thinkers and collaborative problem solvers, communicating across cultures to tackle global issues with creativity and resiliency. Cultivating these competencies will prepare students to quickly adapt to changing trends, allowing them to excel in life and work. Development of these skills will help to nurture a highly skilled and innovative workforce that will be a pillar of a strong and resilient Canadian economy.
TLP believes that Canada can, and must, do better to become a leader in innovation. At TLP, they begin with young people. Through dynamic collaboration across business, education and government sectors, TLP looks at innovation pressures and employ a systematic approach to empower children to tackle challenges strategically so that they grow to compete successfully in this globally connected world.
TLP’s experiential programs encourage students to see their education beyond the classroom, as an opportunity to engage in real-world situations and to find innovative solutions in their lives. Through their programs, learning is accelerated and students gain a deeper understanding of subject matter, encouraging them to build upon the status quo.
TLP student programs encourage learning that is personal, creating opportunities to make lessons accessible to everyone and allowing students to explore through imagination.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the National Director of Development will lead the development of a strategic fundraising plan that fully engages staff, Board, volunteers and donors. Working within the context of the overall organizational strategy, the Director will identify opportunities to support the growth and fiscal health of the organizations, enabling TLP to continue to provide outstanding school-based programs in Canada.
- Lead TLP’s strategic planning for Development and contribute to TLP’s future strategic growth.
- Develop a robust donor pipeline with an intentional approach to engage staff and volunteers to cultivate, steward and solicit key prospects.
- Personally, manage a pipeline of high potential donors.
- Create a stewardship plan for existing and new donors including cultivation events and donor impact reporting.
- Manage a national team of fundraising and fundraising support staff, inspiring performance and best practices.
- Work closely with the program staff and the marketing communications team to encourage collaboration, identify funding opportunities and develop materials.
- Develop processes (research, data, metrics) that support a well-organized and efficient fundraising department.
- Create a philanthropic culture in which every stakeholder sees their role as a fundraising partner.
- An optimistic and positive individual who sees what’s possible and creates plans and actions to realize goals. Contributes to a positive working environment.
- Honest and forthright in a diplomatic way, engendering trust with all key stakeholders. Courageous and respectful conversations with others.
- Operates as a true team player at all levels of an organization. Sees collaboration as a fundamental component of creating a philanthropic environment.
- Responsible and accountable for goals, both their own and their staff. Disciplined and strategic.
- Is a caring and empathetic person who can also drive performance and best practices.
- A creative and innovative thinker who can see opportunities.
- Shares a philosophy of taking oneself lightly while taking work seriously. Likes to have fun.
- A mature and confidential individual.
- Has a passion for children and education.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is a seasoned fundraiser with at least 10 plus years of experience and 5 plus years as a major gift fundraiser, specifically in corporate philanthropy and sponsorship. You will have a track record building fundraising strategies and creating robust donor pipelines. As the fundraising lead for the organization, you will bring with you, proven experience closing gifts by yourself and with key stakeholders. Your understanding of fundraising programs will be broad and your management experience tried and tested. You will lead with compassion, intelligence and a high degree of EQ in a high transformation environment.
- Communication – A strong communicator both verbally and in written communication. An ability to communicate the essence of TLP programs to funders and stakeholders in a way that inspires contribution and participation. Deep listening skills are key and the ability to communication in French an asset. Speaking to business leaders across Canada is a key aspect of this role and therefore the ability to communicate in both official languages is highly desired.
- Strategic and Creative Thinking – Ability to match the mission of the organization with core funding opportunities. Can synthesize all of TLP’s programs and determine how each could be funded. This includes understanding the variety of corporate opportunities available in the Canadian market.
- Fundraising – Possesses a wide range of fundraising skills with specific focus on corporate philanthropy, pipeline development and stewardship. The ability, with proven track record, to ask for donations at the six-figure plus range. Planned giving, annual giving and foundation giving also a critical skill.
- Process Improvement – Demonstrated track record creating processes that support a strong fund development program including financial planning and analysis, data management, research, metrics and overall best practices.
- Staff Management – A skilled leader of staff with the ability to cultivate individual skills and experiences. Inspires individual growth and commitment while gaining commitment to individual and departmental targets.
- Education – Ideally has a background supporting educational programming either as staff or volunteer.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit, in confidence, a resume along with cover letter which sets out your interest in the role and highlights the experience you have relevant to the role. The preferred method of application is on-line at https://searchsmartconnect.com/jobs/