Posted On: 2019-02-07
Closing On: 2019-02-27
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Development Coordinator, Research and Administration
About Camp Oochigeas
In 1983, an ambitious group of board members and volunteers banded together to create a summer camp unlike any other in Canada. Exclusively serving children with cancer, it would be privately funded, staffed entirely by volunteers, and completely free for the campers. A camp where every child, no matter how debilitating their illness, would be provided an opportunity to explore enriching, challenging, fun experiences through what is fondly referred to today as the “Magic of Ooch”.
Thirty-five years later, Camp Oochigeas has experienced exceptionally strong strategic growth and is now offering increased programming in order to better serve our community. Building programs to meet the ever-changing landscape of paediatric healthcare, we have expanded to include programs year-round in Muskoka, at The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto (SickKids), at Ooch Downtown (a Toronto urban camp facility), and three other regional cancer centres.
With more than 550 active volunteers each year and over 65 full-time staff, we now serve 1600+ children annually, at our camp and through other year-round programs that support siblings, bereaved siblings, and parents. Ooch relies on the generous support of over 20,000 donors each year and continues its long-standing history of providing outstanding support and excellent programming for children with cancer.
Camp Oochigeas is a busy hub, generating funding of $8M annually for Ooch’s programs. The Development Coordinator, Research and Administration is a critical part of the Camp Oochigeas’ Development Department, providing support to the Chief Development Officer Director, and Senior Development Officers to manage corporate, foundation and individual donors to help achieve the following:
- Advance the profile of Camp Oochigeas to donors, prospects and other stakeholders to inspire and secure gifts at the $5,000+ level, ensuring sufficient resources to meet the organization’s current and future needs, and
- Support Camp Oochigeas’ mission of providing kids with cancer and kids affected by childhood cancer with a unique opportunity for growth through challenging, fun, enriching and magical experiences.
Reports to: Manager, Donor Insights and Database
Prospect Research (40%)
- Assess the philanthropic capacity, interest, and affinity of potential donors through the preparation of confidential research profiles for the major gifts team.
- Provide strategy on newly identified and current major gift prospects to support their successful cultivation and solicitation, including a recommendation regarding Relationship Manager Assignment.
- Enter research and prospect information into Camp Oochigeas’ Raiser’s Edge database; handle confidential information in a sensitive, ethical manner.
- Complete special research requests – i.e. community demographics – as needed.
- Monitor and timely disseminate news, events, trends, and issues that impact the organization’s strategies and the philanthropic environment.
- Create customized lists of potential high-level prospects for review with senior volunteers and board members.
Database Management (30%)
- Contribute to the organization’s major gifts tracking and activity reporting through disciplined and rigorous use of Raiser’s Edge software.
- Maintain current records of all donor activities in database; proactively monitor and correct inaccurate solicitor assignments in Raiser’s Edge due to employee turnover.
- Maintain and provide timely and accurate reports on prospect activity and pledges, including call reports.
- Report on major gift performance to various levels of management according to set fundraising metrics and arm leadership with fundraising performance data to drive operational decision-making.
- Use professional development sources on an ongoing basis to proactively and continually improve strategy and research practice.
General Administration (30%)
- Provides administrative support to the Chief Development Officer (i.e. scheduling meetings, travel plans, and expense reports, etc.)
- Proactively provides reminders to the Chief Development Officer to ensure smooth daily operation of the Development department.
- Supports the coordination and creation of meeting materials, board reports and other material as assigned.
- Takes minutes at Development Team meetings, and any other ad hoc meetings, as required.
- Inputs pertinent notes as well as donor and prospect information into the Raiser’s Edge database.
- Conducts various administrative duties including photocopying, word processing and other general office duties.
Help ensure that the integrity, image and quality of all programs are consistent with Camp Oochigeas’ mission, operating principles and objectives and adhere to the code of ethics of Imagine Canada, the Association of Gift Planners, the Canadian Code for Volunteer Involvement and the Code of Ethics of the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
- The Development Coordinator reports directly to the Manager, Donor Insights and Database.
- The Development Coordinator provides key administrative support to the Chief Development Officer.
- The Development Coordinator works collaboratively with all members of the Development, Marketing and Communications team.
Experience and Qualifications
- University degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 2 years of full-time relevant research experience, preferably within a fundraising context.
- Proficient computer skills with Raiser’s Edge knowledge.
- Understanding of prospect research techniques and sources including constituent and electronic databases, property records, and securities filings.
- Demonstrated experience in prospect management, including pipeline analysis, prospect tracking and prospect clearance.
- Must possess the ability to think strategically, work independently and as a member of a team in driving new initiatives or enhancing existing programs.
- Current driver’s license.
- Current police reference check and Vulnerable Sector screening.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and well developed interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- An understanding of the power of camp.
- Demonstrated commitment to volunteerism or volunteer sector.
Well organized, strong sense of ownership, sound judgment, enthusiastic, collaborative, passionate, personable, adaptable, diplomatic, attention to detail, able to work in an open concept office environment, and a strong interest in fundraising for children with special needs and exceptionalities.
Particular Working Conditions
In consideration of the population Ooch serves, the Development Coordinator is a non-smoker.
This position offers a competitive salary, full benefits package, vacation, professional development, and performance based increases.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Camp Oochigeas invites applications from all qualified individuals. Camp Oochigeas is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Upon request, Camp Oochigeas will provide to applicants with disabilities, accommodations that take into account the applicants’ accessibility needs, in order to facilitate participation in the recruitment, assessment, selection and hiring stages.
Please send a cover letter and resume via email to the Human Resources Department.