Posted On: 2019-02-07
Closing On: 2019-02-27
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
SENIOR MANAGER, MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
ABOUT CAMP OOCHIGEAS
In 1983, an ambitious group of board members and volunteers banded together to create a summer camp unlike any other in Canada. Exclusively serving children with cancer, it would be privately funded, staffed entirely by volunteers, and completely free for the campers. A camp where every child, no matter how debilitating their illness, would be provided an opportunity to explore enriching, challenging, fun experiences through what is fondly referred to today as the “Magic of Ooch”.
Thirty-five years later, Camp Oochigeas has experienced exceptionally strong strategic growth and is now offering increased programming in order to better serve our community. Building programs to meet the ever-changing landscape of paediatric healthcare, we have expanded to include programs year-round in Muskoka, at The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto (SickKids), at Ooch Downtown (a Toronto urban camp facility), and three other regional cancer centres.
With more than 550 active volunteers each year and over 65 full-time staff, we now serve 1600+ children annually, at our camp and through other year-round programs that support siblings, bereaved siblings, and parents. Ooch relies on the generous support of over 20,000 donors each year and continues its long-standing history of providing outstanding support and excellent programming for children with cancer.
Camp Ooch is growing and we’re looking for a Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications who can tell our story in compelling ways that reach a variety of audiences. This person will be a marketing leader who can provide content and services across a variety of channels to drive awareness and help us meet our fundraising goals. The Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications will be an excellent communicator; have extensive knowledge of critical success factors for building brand awareness; and have strong organizational and project management skills. They should be an experienced manager; a strategic thinker, and a creative self-starter with a fundraising acumen.
a) The development and execution of a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy designed to maximize Camp Ooch’s fundraising success and public profile,
b) Lead the Marketing and Communications (MarCom) team to develop compelling content and execute marketing initiatives,
c) Build brand awareness of Camp Oochigeas, helping secure the resources needed to meet the current and future needs,
d) Work as a partner, collaborator and advisor internally to ensure MarComs provides the various departments at Camp Ooch what they need to meet their business objectives,
e) Manage relationships with vendors and agencies, including pro bono supporters, to ensure effective execution of marketing and communications initiatives..
Chief Development Officer (CDO)
The Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications will be responsible for managing Camp Ooch’s public profile and building brand awareness through a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy designed to maximize fundraising success. This includes: content development, marketing research/analytics, public relations, advertising, and digital media.
- Strategy Development & Planning (30%)
- Develop, execute, achieve and evaluate the Marketing & Communications (MarCom) strategy, business plans and performance goals aligned with Camp Ooch’s overall strategy, vision, and values.
- Lead and manage all aspects of an integrated marketing and communications function.
- Remain current with MarCom best practices and make recommendations on the impact to Camp Ooch of changing external environmental factors (competitive, regulatory, technical, etc.).
- Collaborate with Development colleagues in the planning and execution of fundraising campaigns and programs.
- Manage analytics for all critical MarCom activities and campaigns. Support other departments with analytics, related to their marketing initiatives, to help inform future strategies and ensure effective use of resources.
- Oversee the development of brand guidelines and visual identify for Camp Ooch
2. Communications & Marketing (60%)
- Serve as the CDO’s key advisor on communications issues, including media relations, public relations and reputation management; Lead media relations activities to strategically situate Camp Ooch.
- Oversee all communications, managing the Communications Officer in developing Program and Development communications, including exceptional cultivation and stewardship materials.
- Create content for and manage digital/social media channels for Camp Ooch.
- Build brand awareness and profile in the community and in particular, among donors and prospective donors, partners and sponsors through marketing campaigns.
- Manage external suppliers, including pro bono agencies.
- Collaborate with IT & Administration and Annual Giving to ensure that the website is user friendly, used effectively, and maximizes advantage as both a communications and fundraising tool.
- Develop MarCom policies and procedures, ensuring that relevant privacy and anti-spam legislation is strictly adhered to
3. Management (10%)
- Lead and support the marketing and communications team, provide effective coaching, feedback, recognition and professional development.
- Ensure that direct reports have a clear understanding of what is expected of them (roles, accountabilities and performance objectives) and the tools and skills required to do their work effectively and efficiently.
- Work collaboratively as a member of the Development, Marketing & Communications Leadership Team to develop and advance the long term vision for the department and organization
1. Works closely with the Chief Development Officer, CEO, and other fundraising Directors.
2. As a member of the Leadership team in the Development, Marketing & Communications Department plays a leadership role at Camp Ooch, working closely with staff.
Experience and Qualifications
a) 5-7 years’ experience in Marketing, Communications and in a non-profit or corporate environment.
b) Minimum 2 years’ experience at a Management level leading marketing/communications and community engagement programs, managing and mentoring staff to achieve team results.
c) Diploma or degree in marketing, communications or public relations or relevant experience.
d) Superior interpersonal and relationship management skills.
e) A proven strategic thinker and change manager who leads by example.
f) Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
g) Adaptable in style and approach, highly collaborative, creative with a strong understanding of visual identity/graphic design.
h) Experienced senior brand marketer who understands the value of strong branding, the power of the digital universe, and the importance of building and growing a community of supporters committed to advancing the mission, vision and values of Camp Ooch.
i) Extensive experience working with Google analytics, Social Media Management tools, Social Media platforms.
j) Current driver’s license.
k) Current police reference check with vulnerable sector screening.
l) Experience managing and monitoring budgets.
m) Fundraising acumen.
a) An understanding of the power of camp.
b) Demonstrated commitment to volunteerism or volunteer sector.
Well-organized, strong sense of ownership, enthusiastic, passionate, personable, adaptable, diplomatic, attention to detail, able to work in a small open concept office environment, sense of fiscal responsibility. Respectful of the ideas and opinions of other staff, donors, volunteers and partners, Natural leader – creative, positive and solutions oriented, and a demonstrated commitment to fundraising for children with special needs and exceptionalities.
Particular Working Conditions
a) In consideration of the population Ooch serves, the Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications is a non-smoker.
b) The position involves some evening and weekend commitments.
c) Open concept office.
d) The position requires some physical labour in supporting events and other duties as required
This position offers a competitive salary, full benefits package, vacation, professional development, and performance based increases.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Camp Oochigeas invites applications from all qualified individuals. Camp Oochigeas is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Upon request, Camp Oochigeas will provide to applicants with disabilities, accommodations that take into account the applicants’ accessibility needs, in order to facilitate participation in the recruitment, assessment, selection and hiring stages.
Please send a cover letter and resume via email to the Human Resources Department.
For more information please visit our website at www.ooch.org