Posted On: 2019-02-08
Closing On: 2019-03-08
Location: Mississauga, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Are you looking for more than a job? At World Vision Canada we offer challenging careers that change the lives of children all over the world and it will change yours too. Come and be part of a team of over 500 Canadians with a vision for the world: Life in all its fullness for every child.
We bring life-saving support in times of disaster. We help poor communities to take charge of their futures. We provide small loans and training that boost family livelihoods. We work with policy makers to change the way the world is run. Our Christian faith teaches us that every child, regardless of gender, faith or race, is a precious gift to the entire world - and that their wellbeing concerns us all. We will never rest while children suffer in situations that can be changed.
Engaging New “Vision Partners”
World Vision is known worldwide for its success in changing the lives of children through child sponsorship and emergency relief, supported monthly by hundreds of thousands of generous supporters. Our Vision Partners division builds on this support while going beyond—by inspiring new approaches to philanthropy, and by partnering with Canadian individuals, foundations and corporations who want to respond to issues of poverty, injustice and empowerment at a more significant level of support. By engaging with each of these remarkable “vision partners” we can bring additional support and investment into the lives of even more children, reaching farther and doing more—including vulnerable girls and boys living in some of the world’s toughest places. Through philanthropy, legacy giving, special initiatives like this one, impact investing and other ways, this growing team is aiming to grow its contribution to our mission for children.
World Vision Canada has an amazing and unique opportunity for the right leader to inspire, shape and grow this innovative team.
Vice President, Vision Partners (Philanthropy)
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you will generate value and raise funds for World Vision’s international programs through leadership of all philanthropic engagement and relationships with high-net-worth individuals, corporations, foundations and legacy givers. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, you will participate in strategic planning for the organization and create a growth plan for Vision Partners. Your areas of focus will be:
• Revenue Growth: Grow the revenue stream through effective stewardship of existing donors by strengthening development strategies and by implementing aggressive plans to prospect for and engage new donors through innovative fundraising approaches. Develop and execute clear short-term and long-range plans for development with a focus on income diversification.
• Donor Relationships: Manage a personal portfolio of key donors and prospects. Identify and plan for each key donor relationship by creating a unique approach to meet individual needs and expectations. Engage in personal connection and close on requests for any Vision Partners donor relationship in support of the team. Involvement in stakeholder engagement with key volunteers and influencers, leading senior volunteer/philanthropic committees and advisory boards, capital campaign leadership, etc.
• Strategic Planning: Work with the Chief Operating Officer, President and CEO, and colleagues to create an achievable high-level vision and overall direction for the team. Develop corresponding mid- and long-term plans and communicate with and inspire the team on the strategy and alignment.
• Fundraising Management/Plan Development and Execution: Lead the development of annual and multi-year operational and financial plans that align with the overall strategic plan. Provide leadership to the team in the clear prioritization of goals and tasks, ensuring activities are aligned with strategy. Ensure return on investment analysis is prepared for every new initiative and that proposals and materials are consistent with brand standards. Monitor progress regularly and course correct as needed to ensure targets will be achieved.
• Team Leadership: Provide leadership, inspiration and direction to the Vision Partners team. Coach and mentor direct reports so they can grow and serve as capable and confident contributors. Create an environment of respect, accountability, motivation and productivity. Ensure ownership and clarity of goals, encourage and foster collaboration and innovation within and between units, and across the organization. Encourage the team to identify synergies and opportunities with other WVC divisions and ensure pro-active planning and communication where there is intersection of products or donor communication. Support Christian spiritual formation of staff and model Christian servant leadership.
• External Relations: Represent World Vision Canada within the World Vision Partnership to share, collaborate and solve challenges, including through matrix connections with global philanthropy initiatives. Maintain a public-facing leadership role in the not-for-profit sector through attendance and presentations at professional conferences and through membership in and contribution toward professional societies or working groups. Build relationships with churches and other faith groups. Stay abreast of philanthropic, economic, social and educational trends related to fundraising and to current themes such as education of girls. Ensure that the team is well informed of changes in legislation and other trends and initiatives that could impact fundraising efforts.
• Culture Champion: Understand and embody the traits of a servant leader. Regularly communicate aspects of culture and values by being visible and active in the wider organization. Identify areas of culture to be improved and celebrate and nurture the development of trust, openness, innovation and agility. Serve as an example to all employees of World Vision’s values, mindsets and behaviors.
In addition to a proven track record as an experienced and effective expert in philanthropy and major donor fundraising or sales, you will bring:
• Post-secondary education in a related discipline, plus a minimum of ten years of progressive leadership experience in the not for profit sector. Equivalent combinations of education and experience including corporate for-profit experience will be considered.
• Involvement in any of these associations: CFRE, CAGP, AFP, or AHP Certification
• Minimum of 2 membership/involvement with CFRE, CAGP, AFP is an asset
• Leadership within the AFP/CAGP/AHP or CASE organizations
• Experience in identifying strategic business development opportunities and developing and leading such initiatives.
• Strong business acumen along with strong analytical and financial modeling skills.
• Experience in collaborating with internal and external stakeholders.
• Demonstrated experience building relationships with donors, volunteers and other key stakeholders.
• Diplomacy and superior communication skills, in addition to well-developed presentation ability.
• Experience in Christian servant leadership, Christian faith in action, and spiritual formation of staff.
• Passion for our mission; an unyielding commitment to our vision – “Life in all its fullness for every child.”
How to Apply:
World Vision is committed to the protection of children; all offers of employment will be conditional upon the successful completion of reference checks and a Police background check. Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate a commitment to the core values and mission of the World Vision partnership.
World Vision Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Interested applicants are asked to complete an online application via our careers website.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.